Android TV App With Live Channels Support

breezytm

breezytm

Honestly, I just don't ever even use Emby for Live TV unless I'm doing so from a remote location.

Channels makes it so easy, not sure why I would want to deviate from that.

Channels works GREAT with my HDHR tuners.

Channels is great and easy to use as you suggested but it doesn't talk directly to HDHR tuners. It gets its data from the view apps. I currently have channels configured with the green app and it isn't stable. I get plenty of HDHR VIew apps stops responding error messages. I only see that bug with HDHR and since they stopped maintenance on the green app, this issue is to be fixed or has already been fixed on the grey app. I, personally, do not like to introduce beta application to the family viewing experience. 

If there is any Channels integration, I would love to be able to setup my own Emby Channels, like one Channel where I can program Star Wars every day, all day, and I can just tune into that channel and watch it.    Lol 

Yup! And I think that is a great idea. Similar to PseudoTV for Kodi, which I also requested. I would love to set some custom channels to play random movies from Emby server. I can watch Jason Bourne all day long until I K.O 

I really wished I get less push back for this. To everyone else, it may sound pointless but the potential behind this in my head is priceless. I keep getting suggestions about things I am already aware of that I dismissed as a possible solution. :( I've been an active member of plex, kodi, emby, SD and many other forums for years.

• Like 1

Vidman

Oops my bad :/ .

I answered that already. I want to use Live Channels for Live TV viewing and Emby app (meaning launching the Emby app) for movies and tv shows viewing only. Currently, that's what my family is using them for. It is working and easy to use. I used to give them Live TV access through Emby and I got so tired of answering questions I had to take it away.

I hope not, that would be stating the obvious. Every app that Live TV uses as a source also has the capability of the viewing the channel within the app itself.

You are absolutely correct. Quoting myself "The official HDHomerun app does not work well with Live Channels. It's always not responding. My family can use the HDHomerun app which works well but they hate the GUI. Especially the guide."

Sometimes the obvious needs stating

• Like 1

SikSlayer

Wait, so tl;dr summary.... you're asking Live Channels supports to be added to Emby?

I second that! :D 

In all seriousness, adding the core functionality is one thing, and would be amazing enough, but emulating some level of custom channels, like PseudoTV for Kodi, would be icing on an already very sweet cake. :wub: 

• Like 1

CBers

The official HDHomerun app does not work well with Live Channels. It's always not responding. My family can use the HDHomerun app which works well but they hate the GUI. Specially the guide. I noticed every other apps that integrate with Live Channels as a source, besides the VIEW app, seems to work just fine. Clearly, the issue is the SD app and they stopped maintenance on the green app waiting on the grey app which no one knows when it will be ready for primetime. 

I assume that you have raised this on the SD forums ??

The GREY app does integrate into the Live channels, so why not try it.

I've had it set up in Live channels for several months, although I don't use it :)

breezytm

Right. At this time I am not quite sure what else is there to add to the app besides a new UI to match the standard you guys are currently rolling out. But what do I know.

I had a plan and without this feature I am back to square one. Not sure how else to overcome that. Back to windows media center I go I guess.

loganone

I too would love to see this feature.  I would love to be able to just launch Live Channels and have my tv channels be there instead of going thru all the clicks it takes to get to live TV in Emby.

Yes I know about the live tv mode, but that doesn't do it for me. I would love to see the live channels mixed with the other channels in the app.

• Like 2

breezytm

I too would love to see this feature.  I would love to be able to just launch Live Channels and have my tv channels be there instead of going thru all the clicks it takes to get to live TV in Emby.

Yes I know about the live tv mode, but that doesn't do it for me. I would love to see the live channels mixed with the other channels in the app.

I guess you will join me and the others in the waiting list. Happy waiting :P

• Like 1

loganone

I guess you will join me and the others in the waiting list. Happy waiting :P

It just seems like it would be fairly easy to do. I have been reading all the documentation about live channels , because I like to tinker in code and working on a different platform to integrate with a video source and live channels. Not a real programmer, I'm just playing with the code cause I like to understand how it works.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

breezytm

It just seems like it would be fairly easy to do. I have been reading all the documentation about live channels , because I like to tinker in code and working on a different platform to integrate with a video source and live channels. Not a real programmer, I'm just playing with the code cause I like to understand how it works.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

They may have plenty of pending tasks. I really really really really need this though. Since we didn't get anything for the New Year from Emby; that could be their gift to us. Le'ts cross our fingers. @@Luke @@ebr :)

• Like 1

nuahsocramid

Is there a way to get Emby Live TV to respond, timing in switching channels, to match that of Live Channels/HDHomerun App? Live channels and HDHomerun take 2-3secs to load a channel where the Emby Live TV averages 10secs for me.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

breezytm

Is there a way to get Emby Live TV to respond, timing in switching channels, to match that of Live Channels/HDHomerun App? Live channels and HDHomerun take 2-3secs to load a channel where the Emby Live TV averages 10secs for me.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I believe @@ebr stated the issue with those extra seconds have to do with Emby reading the stream to determine if the device can direct play or if it requires transcoding. He can clarify that if I am mistaken. 

• 3 months later...
breezytm

Any luck I may see this feature implemented before I have grandkids? Currently, my son is three.  :D 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Chuggy

I'm curious if you have found a way to make this more user friendly for your family. I thought Live TV mode was my answer, except that box overrides all profiles. It would be nice if we could create a "live tv" profile that jumps right into the program guide or live tv.

breezytm

I still wish they could create a separate App for Live TV. The Pluto.tv design is as good as an app for live TV can be. Also, make the app accessible through the Live Channels app for Android TV as a source. And "mama here come's that [app]." 

In Emby server, the admin simply has to grant Live TV viewing access to the users and or a specific service account designated for just tv viewing. That account can be used to login to the app on all TVs in the household. And BANG the best live tv experience on Android TV. If it works out great,  it can, later on, be published to other big screen devices like Apple TV, Roku, Firestick, etc... Watch everyone who hates the Silicondust and Plex DVR UI comes running.

I guess a guy can dream  ^_^

Edited by breezytm

I thought Live TV mode was my answer, except that box overrides all profiles.

Can you please explain this?  Thanks.

Chuggy

In android tv checking the "Live tv mode" box changes it for every profile. I had created a "live tv" profile that I was going to have jump right to Live tv, but it changed every profile, not just the live tv profile.

In android tv checking the "Live tv mode" box changes it for every profile. I had created a "live tv" profile that I was going to have jump right to Live tv, but it changed every profile, not just the live tv profile.

Ah, got ya.  Yes that is an app setting not a user one.

• 6 months later...
inzombyac

You could use App Cloner to make a clone of the Emby App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.applisto.appcloner&hl=en. The clones have their own settings and you could make one that automatically signs in for Live TV only.  I do this so that I can switch easily between profiles by having each clone automatically sign in as a different user.  The only downside with this method is that it is hard to tell the difference between which app is the clone and which is the original.  App Cloner has some options to change the icon, but these do not seem to work (at least for me).

breezytm

I don't understand why this isn't implemented yet. It would be such a great addition to the Emby experience. Everyone I know who uses Android loves the Live Channels GUI for Live TV hence why so many company integrates their apps with it. 

CBers

Everyone I know who uses Android loves the Live Channels GUI for Live TV hence why so many company integrates their apps with it.

Precisely, for Live TV.

Emby doesn't produce Live TV, just a way of integrating it.

Plex does the same.

I think you're trying to get the "tail to wag the dog", so to speak :)