438 replies to this topic

#21 barat OFFLINE  

barat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Local time: 05:45 PM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:05 AM

OMG ... it's really happening ... I don't have time for tests, but if this will work well on Pi2 (overclocked to ~1ghz) then I will be able to get rid of osmc+KODI and put this thing and then it will be a reason to buy Emby Premiere :D

Alternative will be new Intel Compte Stick (Apollo Lake will include CEC), but Emby Premiere with Pi will be cheaper :D

Just wanted to say thanks for Your great work!

BTW. Emby Theater caches artworks/covers etc? Or it is wise to make Emby server to store this metadata near video files?

Edited by barat, 21 December 2016 - 11:09 AM.

#22 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2342 posts
  • Local time: 08:45 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:45 PM

This is all pretty darn cool but some of it is beyond me as I have a rPi 2 that I haven't even had the time to play with so I know not much about it. I'll give it a whirl, after the holidays, but let you guys make an install-able package!

#23 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124635 posts
  • Local time: 11:45 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:19 PM

Enjoy :)

#24 barat OFFLINE  

barat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:49 PM

Question - which version of libcec will be installed/used with this?

Please say that 4.0.x ... :D

#25 denz OFFLINE  

denz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1895 posts
  • Local time: 11:45 PM
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:07 PM

In Australia the pi 3 is not cheap with power supply costs $110 and if I buy guleek atom Z8300 costs $133 and it comes with win 10. I bought the prior version guleek i8 for a friends child and it is great for every day usage and this one must be a lot faster and it is a full pc.

I will continue to test the pi and provide feedback with overclock to 1GHz it is definitely a improvement it's not smooth but definitely improvement.

I will test each part separately from music etc and provide feedback.

I left the pi overnight and it fully responded with the remote now I think later on the screen should be dimmed in case TV is left open.

Edited by denz, 21 December 2016 - 08:14 PM.

#26 denz OFFLINE  

denz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1895 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:58 PM

I bought it from www.dx.com and my experience with them has been positive when my friends daughter had an issue we contacted them and they provide us direct with the manufacturer who were very pleasant to deal with and responded very quickly and sorted out a issue.

http://www.dx.com/p/...10#.WFst0IVOKUk

Thanks for the links I had a look at them and they are significantly lower than I found so I will probable purchase one today.

I think with pi3 emby theatre will run smoothly since with pi2 overclock it is not bad but it is not something for the long run unless it can be smoother user experience.

I have to look through my emails and see what power supply I purchased for pi2 to see can that be used on 3.

#27 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124635 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:01 PM

Pi3 can probably handle everything i would think.

#28 barat OFFLINE  

barat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:59 AM

I hope that ET on Pi2 won't be slower then OSMC with Emby for KODI ... then from my point of view it will be still good choice :)

Please try to aim Pi2 since those (IMO) are most popular these days ... maybe disable some effects when Pi2 detected or so - I don't mind not having some fancy animations :)

Edited by barat, 22 December 2016 - 06:00 AM.

• Sammy likes this

#29 denz OFFLINE  

denz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1895 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:50 AM

When playing mp3 plays for 4 seconds and it just stops.

I am writing this from the pi how amazing is this. 

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.txt   8.44KB   2 downloads

#30 denz OFFLINE  

denz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1895 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:27 AM

I have resumed a movie and it just went into a loop but the odd thing in the log file shows nothing. 

For testing purposes I have removed all overclock settings. 

After I posted the log I went to play it again and it worked. So it feels like it is not forwarding a commands when one time it works and some times it doesn't.

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.txt   3.93KB   1 downloads

Edited by denz, 22 December 2016 - 08:30 AM.

#31 denz OFFLINE  

denz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1895 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:33 AM

Regarding speed its not that bad actually the reason why kodi feels faster its the layout that is different kodi is very compact whereas emby screens are very long it is bit hard to explain however for live tv kodi blows emby away.

Priority should be that everything works as now i am finding a lot of bugs once the bugs get ironed then speed needs to be looked at.

some things that are faster than kodi like when you press back from watching a video the screen appears instant here you would want some animation to slow down the display or going to detail screen it is very fast. I think it needs more animation not less when you scroll at the menus at the top it feels very smooth and fluid.

Things that are slow and it jumps are detail screen scrolling when there are many actors and the in main screens when there is a lot information to scroll. I am sure luke will figure it out just first things are bugs.

Little bug when you put it in window mode you cannot maximise it any more this is not a big issue as this app will be always full screen.

Edited by denz, 22 December 2016 - 09:07 AM.

#32 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2342 posts
  • Local time: 08:45 AM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:35 AM

I hope that ET on Pi2 won't be slower then OSMC with Emby for KODI ... then from my point of view it will be still good choice :)

Please try to aim Pi2 since those (IMO) are most popular these days ... maybe disable some effects when Pi2 detected or so - I don't mind not having some fancy animations :)

I agree. I too have a rPi2 and don't plan to upgrade anytime soon. Thanks.

#33 barat OFFLINE  

barat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:19 PM

3.0.1, why?

LibCEC 3.x makes weird things with Philips TV/Soudbars/etc.

http://www.supportfo...ing-back-to-ARC

I switched to OSMC with Kodi 17 Beta because of this ...

#34 denz OFFLINE  

denz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1895 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:36 AM

Great work Music plays fine now. Tried mp3, m4a wma all work.

#35 barat OFFLINE  

barat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:24 AM

Emby theater uses cec-client differently than Kodi so perhaps the problem will not occur.

Will check when we get something like beta. But 4.x has more advantages like proper handling of constant press (press&hold) - useful with "arrow" keys ... osmc was able to allow 4.x, maybe your bundle will include it as well :)

Edited by barat, 23 December 2016 - 08:56 AM.

• joggs likes this

#36 barat OFFLINE  

barat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:16 AM

Ok - so for Pi You won't plan to make "customized" raspbian image?

Emby Theater for Pi is then mostly same like for linux?

Edited by barat, 23 December 2016 - 09:17 AM.

#37 Tur0k OFFLINE  

Tur0k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 510 posts
  • Local time: 09:45 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:04 PM

Now this is interesting. I will have to give it a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#38 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124635 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:05 PM

Interesting indeed !

#39 barat OFFLINE  

barat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:32 PM

OSMC is this kind of IMG which You write on SD so it's good idea - You have then control about system on which ET was fired ...

I'm not linux guru, so I don't know how libCEC 4.0.0 was implemented there, but I suppose that it was compiled from source.

Manual with additional step to make ET autostart would be appreciated :)

Edited by barat, 23 December 2016 - 06:33 PM.

#40 haraldov OFFLINE  

haraldov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:02 PM

Great work. I tried Emby Theater for Pi on my Raspberry Pi 3 Model B for playing recorded mkv from Emby server Versjon 3.1.261.0 beta (Ubuntu 16.04) .

experienced problems to play two different HD channels. With livetv tvheadend streams with resolution (MBAFF) 1920x1080 (AVC, 25 fps) I got no video or sound, but with (Progressive) 1280x720 (AVC, 50 fps) I got sound and video. All this data comes from mediainfo.

I did the test with omxplayer like this:

But then I found out that I need to give the GPU (graphic processing unit) more memory when playing 1080 videos. I placed this line gpu_mem=128

in the /boot/config.txt. You can also use the utility raspi-config to do the same without text editor. After a reboot the GPU had enough memory to play 1080 videos.

More information about optimizing omxplayer you can find her: http://stevenhickson...spberry-pi.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users