Store artwork & metadata in media folders?

ShoutingMan

arrbee99

You can do everything you need to do within the Emby web app.

Is there an option somewhere to move metadata to another location, might well have missed it. If not then it seems reasonable to be able to delete and rescan to a different location, unless of course if would wreak havoc somewhere.

Maybe it might be worth adding a customise option when adding a new library to take people to those extra options more directly, so they don't get forgotten.

Happy2Play

Is there an option somewhere to move metadata to another location, might well have missed it. If not then it seems reasonable to be able to delete and rescan to a different location, unless of course if would wreak havoc somewhere.

Maybe it might be worth adding a customise option when adding a new library to take people to those extra options more directly, so they don't get forgotten.

Dashboard-Library-Advanced

But this only sets a custom path it does not move existing data.

Happy2Play

Also note customs paths create a sub-folder /metadata so if you point it to x:\metadata everything will go to x:\metadata\metadata.

Sub-folders were done because people were pointing cache and metadata to the same location.

arrbee99

Thanks for the info, but would prefer all info to be kept in the same folder as the media, and so would like to be able to move (or delete and re-download) existing metadata.

Guess it doesn't really matter that much if the metadata happens to be split up a bit, it still works. But maybe one day......

If you currently have metadata stored internally and you want to move it to the media folder, then changing the setting followed by refreshing the content can help do that for you.

• 4 months later...
Busta Uppa

Also note customs paths create a sub-folder /metadata so if you point it to x:\metadata everything will go to x:\metadata\metadata.

Sub-folders were done because people were pointing cache and metadata to the same location.

I wanted to comment on this - currently, I have album-related artwork (cdart.png and folder.png) getting saved directly in the media library folder for a given album.  Meanwhile all artist-related artwork (logo.png, banner.jpg, etc.) is going into a new new subfolder Library\metadata\artists\[Name].  Can the "metadata" folder be bypassed so that new artist artwork goes directly into the appropriate library folder?  If not, I suppose I could simply copy those new artist folders into my root Library directory to achieve the same thing.

So ideally I'd end up with:

>Library

>Beck

>banner.jpg

>fanart.jpg

>folder.jpg

>logo.png

>Modern Guilt

>cdart.png

>Folder.jpg

>Odelay

>cdart.png

>Folder.jpg

>Billy Idol

...etc.  (underlined files are already showing up exactly where I want with current settings :) )

In any case, thank you so much to all involved for making Emby Server happen, and particularly the robust fanart scraping.  I was banging my head against the wall trying to get this done in Kodi!

It's a little tricky because it can be hard to verify that your artist folder is actually meant to be an artist folder. a lot of people just use mish mash folder structures, so it just becomes more practical to use an alternative location.