Google Home and Emby?

dannieboiz

• 4 weeks later...
knight09

I am a long time Emby user, have been using the software since the MediaBrowser days. Sad to say I will be jumping ship and moving to Plex, I have been using plex along side emby for a few weeks and have found it to our perform my emby setup with both features and robustness. 

If emby supported google assistant as Plex does or at least had official plans to support it I could see myself sticking with Emby but it appears that is not the case. I was fun* while it lasted!

CBers

We do plan to support both Google home and assistant.

Is there a roadmap ??

Q4 2017, Q1 2018, 2018, 2019, later ??

Just asking.

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

I am very interested in knowing about this as well. I have played around with Plex just to try it out and with their last update it works really well. It also works well with Kodi V18.

shred00

- your emby access link, http://yourexternalip:port. Your emby server must be accessible on internet

This is a real pity.  My Google Home/assistant is in my house.  My Emby server is in my house.  Why do they both need to go out to "the cloud" (a.k.a. "other people's computers") in order to work together, in my house?

Every time you connect something else to the Internet you are adding another attack vector and increasing your risk surface.  In cases like this, needlessly.

Industry currently has the model all wrong.  They are going down the path of the "connected home" which is a path to disaster.  The correct path is the "smart home" where control of all of the things in your home stays in your home.

The beginning of this video gives a good explanation of the difference and why the latter is better than the former.  3 minutes in gets to the meat of it.

And yes, I understand that your integration has to work within the existing model and that it's out of your control.

Edited by shred00

This is a real pity.  My Google Home/assistant is in my house.  My Emby server is in my house.  Why do they both need to go out to "the cloud" (a.k.a. "other people's computers") in order to work together, in my house?

And yes, I understand that your integration has to work within the existing model and that it's out of your control.

Correct, this is out of our control.  Our own implementations don't require this (unless you use Connect which is a convenience).

The reason it is this way is simple - that is Google's entire business model.  You are getting a piece of hardware and this intelligent service for as little as $30 up front with no recurring costs.  That isn't making any money for Google.  Your actions through their cloud is what makes them money.

shred00

The reason it is this way is simple - that is Google's entire business model.  You are getting a piece of hardware and this intelligent service for as little as $30 up front with no recurring costs.  That isn't making any money for Google.  Your actions through their cloud is what makes them money.

Of course, I understand all of this.  It doesn't mean I have to like or agree with it.

This isn't always the case though.  Look at the Nest thermostat.  That is not cheap.  I should not have to pay that much money for a thermostat and still have to play in the "connected" home (a.k.a. "all your base are belong to us") game.

When will your own implementation be available?

Edited by shred00

The Nest was created by the same guy who created the iPhone so he comes from a heritage of very beautiful, but very expensive hardware.

We don't have a timeframe on our Google Home implementation yet but we are working on it.

• Like 1

knight09

Of course, I understand all of this.  It doesn't mean I have to like or agree with it.

This isn't always the case though.  Look at the Nest thermostat.  That is not cheap.  I should not have to pay that much money for a thermostat and still have to play in the "connected" home (a.k.a. "all your base are belong to us") game.

When will your own implementation be available?

I dont think you understand what ebr is saying, the money is in the information that these companies aggregate from us not the hardware. A nest thermostat is extremely cheap when compared to HA products that dont run in the cloud. 

shred00

I dont think you understand what ebr is saying, the money is in the information that these companies aggregate from us not the hardware. A nest thermostat is extremely cheap when compared to HA products that dont run in the cloud. 

I understand completely what ebr is saying.  This is really starting to go off-topic for this thread, so maybe we should take it off of this thread (which I don't know how to do), but which HA thermostat that doesn't run in the cloud are you referring to?

BAlGaInTl

Industry currently has the model all wrong.  They are going down the path of the "connected home" which is a path to disaster.  The correct path is the "smart home" where control of all of the things in your home stays in your home.

Interesting thought, but at this point in time, it seems pretty flawed. It's a good conversation to have though.

The reason that Google is so smart is because it is aggregate and in the cloud. You wouldn't get the same natural language processing if you didn't. At least for now. It's the same reason that Siri has fallen behind because Apple has tried to do more offline and private.

It's give and take I think.

CBers

Hi

Recently bought some Google Home devices. Looking in the Home app I see there is a service available for Emby created by Thomas Deblock.

https://github.com/deblockt/emby-google-home/blob/master/README.md

Anyone using this? or know more about it?

Thanks.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/52230-emby-for-google-home/

swhitmore

My Google Home Mini is in the mail. Looking forward to Emby support. Let me know if you need help testing.

josephdouce

I managed to get google assitant to auth using the alexa linking page so we can implement this in no time at all i was abel to get the auth token wiuthout issues with these setting son google actions on. Since they both use OAuth 2.0 its easy to use the same page for google, setup is below. I am working with tdeblock to remove his 3rd party site for auth and use the account linking properly.

I cropped the image so the server is reacted but i get the server IP and port, auth token and user, without issues, porting all the alexa actions over to home should take no time at all.

Also Emby can you add an IDENTICAL copy of the alexa login page with everything changed to google/or jsut rename iot to Smart Home, as i doubt google will like alexa plastered all over the login page for the app it will never get approved.

vWNaXkp.png

0qlGLO4.png

Edited by josephdouce

josephdouce

Shouldn't take long to port the Alexa app to Google home no that the Auth is sorted

Edited by josephdouce

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1ntroduc3

It is being worked on, thank you for your patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks Angelblue05. Any way I can help?

Angelblue05

Not for the moment. But once we have beta running, feedback is always helpful.

I need a few more days to finish up. I ran into issues later that I didn't expect.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1ntroduc3

Not for the moment. But once we have beta running, feedback is always helpful.

I need a few more days to finish up. I ran into issues later that I didn't expect.

Great thanks for the update!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Angelblue05

Sorry it's taking a little bit longer than expected. :) Thank you for your patience guys.

• Like 4

DraGooN-

Sorry it's taking a little bit longer than expected. :) Thank you for your patience guys.

Thanks for all your hard work, looking forward to this feature