Google Home and Emby?

dannieboiz

dannieboiz

Has anyone look into Google Home integration? Being able to ask it to play a specific title and let it play it on Emby would be amazing. 

• Like 5

jon@spoonamore.net

I 2nd this idea.  I've been thinking about getting a home automation setup for the wife for Christmas.  I am trying to find out how much Chromecast integrates into Google Home.  How much control do you have over Chromecast apps via Google Home. 

CBers

I think that would be fantastic.

Just need more developers willing to participate, as I'm sure you have too much on your plate fixing bugs etc.  :)

• Like 2

1ntroduc3

Yes please! This would be awesome. Currelty there is Chromecast support, but only youtube videos can be played through google home. I even would like to pay for this to happen, what are the possibilities to get this working with emby ?

mastrmind11

what are the possibilities to get this working with emby ?

There needs to be an API, and right now there isn't one.

1ntroduc3

There needs to be an API, and right now there isn't one.

But there is IFTTT. No workaround with IFTTT? IFTTT can be used with multiple systems like google home such as amazon echo or homey

mastrmind11

But there is IFTTT. No workaround with IFTTT? IFTTT can be used with multiple systems like google home such as amazon echo or homey

IFTTT is not instantaneous.  If you envision this working in a way where you say "Play movie x" and then wait for 10 minutes before it starts playing, I suppose IFTTT could work.  But that would also assume IFTTT has the proper hooks to allow for such commands.  Alternatively I think I read somewhere that IFTTT  now supports web services, so I suppose that could work and would allow much more control over the hooks, but again, you still face the delay issue.  Either way, a true implementation would be for Home to expose an API.

Edited by mastrmind11

dannieboiz

I guess @ the end of the day, we'll also have to decide what device the GH will be controlling? 

Like for me, I mainly use my HTPC with Emby Theater, so in order for it to work, it'll have to send a launch command to the computer to start emby theater then search for the title and play. 

I think those with Chromecast might have this easier but honestly, I don't care for the idea of the chromecast. I believe it only cast the screen of your tablet or phone. So you essentially need to have a dedicated device for this to cast. 

Guest asrequested

I guess @ the end of the day, we'll also have to decide what device the GH will be controlling?

Like for me, I mainly use my HTPC with Emby Theater, so in order for it to work, it'll have to send a launch command to the computer to start emby theater then search for the title and play.

I think those with Chromecast might have this easier but honestly, I don't care for the idea of the chromecast. I believe it only cast the screen of your tablet or phone. So you essentially need to have a dedicated device for this to cast.

Chromecast doesn't use your screen. It streams directly from the source. If you cast from your mobile device, you can continue to use it however you want.

IFTTT is not instantaneous.  If you envision this working in a way where you say "Play movie x" and then wait for 10 minutes before it starts playing, I suppose IFTTT could work.  But that would also assume IFTTT has the proper hooks to allow for such commands.  Alternatively I think I read somewhere that IFTTT  now supports web services, so I suppose that could work and would allow much more control over the hooks, but again, you still face the delay issue.  Either way, a true implementation would be for Home to expose an API.

This is not entirely true.  I use IFTTT with the "Google Assistant" and "Maker" widgets, and there is about a one or two second delay after I finish saying my command, and the time it takes IFTTT to send an HTTP GET to my home automation system.  That being said, it would be somewhat of a challenge for the authors of Emby to program in code that would take the name of the requested movie/show on an HTTP GET request, do a search in the media library for it, and then somehow automatically launch a casting session with your preferred Chromecast.

I would love this integration someday, and I believe the Google Home platform might be the best bet to do it.

Google Home and Emby would be fantastic. If there's a community member that would like to look into it, we'll offer to help with hosting in the event some kind of web service is needed (similar to Amazon Alexa).

aspdend

I would like to see this too - I am trying to avoid buying an Alexa and holding out for a Google Home in the near future - controlling Emby from this would be truly awesome

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Rumbaar

Hopefully Australia will get access to Google Home too, the Actions on Google look like a viable solution.

Can you currently use the likes of Cortana via voice to navigate EMBY?

pr3dict

I messed around with this a little bit. I used IFTTT to tell my harmony remote to start watching emby and it sorta works. The biggest issue is gettingt he computer to launch the app because the new harmony UI makes it a little difficult to be as granular as you used to be able to be.

i think @@chef was interested in this but was having issues getting hold of a Google Home

This might sound stupid, but I got tired of waiting so I outfitted my home with Arduino sensors and microphones, had them relay info to my home automation controller, and a computer I wrote a smart home AI bot with, which controls all my IR devices, and also monitors all my zwave and Emby Media Server stuff.

To be honest it is perfectly suited to my home.

I use Arduino to set up a subnet of 2.4 GHz devices which monitor my home.

And by using emby to serve up media to all my theater agents, my Home AI monitors all the media data to.

My Hone AI even has Geofences attached which turn my home on when I am close, and gets the names of all my new media items through Emby, all my recent phone call from a log it keeps through an old Serial Modem, and then tells me about it when I trigger the front door sensor when I open it.

Lets see Google Home do that. Lol! It probably can or will... :)

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

This might sound stupid, but I got tired of waiting so I outfitted my home with Arduino sensors and microphones, had them relay info to my home automation controller, and a computer I wrote a smart home AI bot with, which controls all my IR devices, and also monitors all my zwave and Emby Media Server stuff.

To be honest it is perfectly suited to my home.

I use Arduino to set up a subnet of 2.4 GHz devices which monitor my home.

And by using emby to serve up media to all my theater agents, my Home AI monitors all the media data to.

My Hone AI even has Geofences attached which turn my home on when I am close, and gets the names of all my new media items through Emby, all my recent phone call from a log it keeps through an old Serial Modem, and then tells me about it when I trigger the front door sensor when I open it.

Lets see Google Home do that. Lol! It probably can or will... :)

@@chef   if you update this tool

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/26492-client-app-email-my-connect-users-new-media/

i'll send you an almost new echo dot...  pm me if interested?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...