New episode sorting feature

Luke

Hey guys,

I'm working on this for the next server release. Since we're going to push the beta to release in a day or two, I'm doing it in a way that will keep the current release free of disruption.

So the feature currently doesn't do anything other than write to the log (if enabled by hand in the config xml).

If you'd like to play with, get the latest dev build, shutdown the server, then open system.xml, find TvFileSortingOptions. Set IsEnabled to true, and change the WatchLocations node to have something, for example:

D:\Temp\_newEpisodesFolder

Then start the server and run the "Sort new files" scheduled task.

You will then see messages in your log such as:

2014-01-19 13:24:31.3779, Info, App, Sorting file D:\Temp\_newEpisodesFolder\Dracula.2013.S01E09.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv
2014-01-19 13:24:31.4210, Debug, App, Extracted information from D:\Temp\_newEpisodesFolder\Dracula.2013.S01E09.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv. Series name dracula.2013., Season 1, Episode 9
2014-01-19 13:24:31.4210, Info, App, Sorting file D:\Temp\_newEpisodesFolder\Dracula.2013.S01E09.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv into series \\192.168.1.2\Video\TV\Dracula
2014-01-19 13:24:31.4250, Info, App, Sorting file D:\Temp\_newEpisodesFolder\Dracula.2013.S01E09.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv to new path \\192.168.1.2\Video\TV\Dracula\Season 1\Dracula - 1x09 - Four Roses.mkv

It's just logging. Nothing is actually happening, but this will help tell me if it's doing a good job of finding the right place to move the file to.
  • Like 1

yea it monitors a download folder and then moves and renames. 

I know sorting isn't the best name for it. I really don't know who came up with that, but that's the terminology used by metabrowser, sabnzbd and somewhat in sickbeard.

lol, yeah I had no clue what you were talking about. I thought it was some new API feature for sorting the shows or episodes (like maybe sorting by dvd order instead of aired date). Sorting is a horrible name for that, especially having never used any of those other programs so it didn't make much since.

So from the screenshot there is the ability to set the season folder naming pattern. What about for the files itself?

yea there'll be a dropdown box for the file name convention. it's going to err on the side of caution and only move when there's a perfect match. the real cool factor is going to be a tab on the dashboard home page to view the activity log, and being able to do things like pick what series it belongs to if we fail to identify it.

It can be extended for movies, and perhaps one day, music. But judging from the ratio of episodes to movies in a typical user's library I think starting with tv will have a bigger bang for the buck.

Yeah, as long as it can name it in common formats like:

s01e01.mkv

s01e01 - Episode Name.mkv

etc.

Well reason I asked if it was just TV is then you could name it something like "Episode Mover" or something like that. I really don't like mover though. If it is more general, then "File Manager" or something.

eventually we're going to run out ways that other dedicated metadata programs are ahead of us. and then at that point we'll just be completely dominant because so many fresh ideas will sprout from this. Maybe then it will be called a file manager. until then i would say the scope is a little smaller.

but File Manager isn't the worst name we could have, so if i can't come up with something then it could end up being that.

Yeah, maybe "File Sorting" is the best available option. Just doesn't seem to match in my head that sorting = moving files.

yea i know. i thought it might be a British thing, but Scott had no clue what it was when i mentioned it to him.

Well that works, but I really don't want to do renaming of existing files. I just feel like that will be a painful process to get 100% fleshed out, with some people unhappy when a bug renames their whole library. Maybe later, but not right now. What about Download Monitor.

Yeah that is true and "File Renamer" gives the impression it would do that too. So scratch that name from the list.

i guess it will have to be File Manager then. put it under a big umbrella that can be expanded upon later.

Yeah that name makes sense to me at least. Still open to hearing what others have to say too.

abeloin

Results from linux:

2014-01-20 00:26:34.9972, Info, App, Executing Sort new files
2014-01-20 00:26:35.0027, Info, App, Sorting file /core/mediabrowser-watch/Mythbusters.S12.Zombie.Special.720p.HDTV.x264-KILLERS [PublicHD]/Mythbusters.S12E11.Zombie.Special.720p.HDTV.x264-KILLERS.mkv
2014-01-20 00:26:35.0901, Debug, App, Extracted information from /core/mediabrowser-watch/Mythbusters.S12.Zombie.Special.720p.HDTV.x264-KILLERS [PublicHD]/Mythbusters.S12E11.Zombie.Special.720p.HDTV.x264-KILLERS.mkv. Series name mythbusters., Season 12, Episode 11
2014-01-20 00:26:35.0901, Warn, App, Unable to find series in library matching name mythbusters.
2014-01-20 00:26:35.1484, Info, App, Sort new files Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
Edited by abeloin
  • Like 1