I would really love to see this feature being implemented as my IPTV provider provides M3U files with group titles. First, like many of you I was thinking that an option to select a group and then list the channels would be amazing and would make my Emby experience complete.
I must admit that I even like @softworkz suggestion to use tags even more:
The whole point of having TAGs instead of a fixed grouping, is that this allows multiple parallel ways to categorize (what most of you mean by "group") channels.
- Automatic generation of TAGs from M3U groups (IPTV)
- Automatic generation of TAGs from channel genres (ATSC/DVB)
- Automatic generation of TAGs from EPG item genres
- Automatic generation of TAGs depending on channel source type (IPTV, SAT, Cable, Terrestrial)
- Automatic generation of other TAGs like 'Most Viewed', 'Having EPG', etc.
- Manual creation and assignment of custom tags
The whole point of this is to have a single system that can serve multiple purposes.
First of all because it can be used for different sources, like iptv and/or satelite.
Second it will make it even easier to find just the content that you like, e.g.: filter on a country first and then filter on a tag like news, weather, football or whatever is being extracted from the epg source.
Then you won't have to think about what tags to give to your channels up front, as the channel can have a tag "sports" or "news" based on what is planned within the timeslot the EPG guide is showing :-)
Really hope to see this functionality implemented soon. If you need any help testing I'd love to help out
Keep up the good work!
Edited by Robsta86, 26 March 2020 - 02:24 PM.