Force transcoding for all, cant get dlna profiles to work

wraymando

wraymando

Evening All,

Has anyone got some advice for getting a device to transcode all media? Effectively anything other than AVI/SD content causes stuttering and other playback issues on emby for android, however I've noticed that if the media server does all the heavy lifting (which it is more than capable of) then playback is smoother and more reliable. 

I've tried creating and modifying DLNA profiles to prevent direct play (even removed the directory mappings too) but it still direct plays/streams. 

It would be ace if you could select from the devices list your device and set some options at the device level (even if it just created a profile for you) 

Any ideas or thoughts? I even tried Kodi but my android tv KOs when mediacodec is used and without it the quality is naff

Hi, welcome. If you're referring to the Emby app, it does not use Dlna profiles. Try going to the in-app playback settings and adjust the max streaming bitrate. Try setting it to a low value such as 1mbps. This will force transcoding for just about everything. Then you can gradually raise the value depending on how things go. Let us know how it goes. Thanks !

wraymando

I've now tried that, it does transcode but I no longer have video playback (but do have sound)! Aside from that I dont want to miss out too much on quality when playing back media? 

Any suggestions for why I dont get video? I've tried different file types h264 and mpeg both do the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...
Angelblue05

I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit confused by the request. Are you asking for a way to force transcode all content, but keeping the same bitrate/video quality as the original file?

I think that's what he's looking for but I believe a reduction of bitrate will be necessary in order to solve the original problem he was looking to solve in post #1.

Angelblue05

Ok, so a force transcode setting, that would follow the bitrate quality set by the user (video quality). If the file bitrate is less than, transcode with the actual file bitrate, otherwise, if it's higher, transcode with the user's chosen video quality? Would that work?

Edit: Sorry for being slow on picking this up, I just want to make sure I fully understand before making any changes.

Edited by Angelblue05

Or just a force transcode setting paired with the bitrate setting you already have may do as well.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

I wonder if this is a container splitting issue or a codec issue. If it's just the container, remuxing would be better, as it would require less processing. But it's the codec, then transcoding is necessary. I'd be interested to see what codec is in the container.