New Android TV box - Xiaomi Mi Box

Macburp

optimalt

Can anyone with one of these boxes confirm if DTS works properly on it? Mine does not.

Works for me with the Emby android TV-app and Archos as external player.

• 1 month later...
mastrmind11

thinking about picking 2 of these up.  Are there still issues with DTS? Is everyone still happy with these as an Emby client?

DTS still an issue, but otherwise a solid device for the money.

Something I noticed using IPTV  via emby on the Mi box is that on start up of any stream it will play until the buffer fills then repeat that segment -- after that it is good to go but you will watch the first minute of a particular stream twice ... which I do not see on my roku devices -- has any one seen this on other android players?

Jdiesel

Something I noticed using IPTV  via emby on the Mi box is that on start up of any stream it will play until the buffer fills then repeat that segment -- after that it is good to go but you will watch the first minute of a particular stream twice ... which I do not see on my roku devices -- has any one seen this on other android players?

I see this occasionally on my Shield TV. I can't be a 100% sure but I swear I've also have seen it on my Roku as well.

Edited by Jdiesel

Jdiesel

I'm on the latest beta server running on Linux with FFmpeg 2.8.10. Do you and your buddy have the same Live TV setup/provider?

Edited by Jdiesel

• 8 months later...

Since the DTS issues with the mibox haven't been resolved with firmware updates, shouldn't the profile for the mibox be updated so that DTS will be automatically transcoded?

Sent from my SM-N9002 using Tapatalk

Since the DTS issues with the mibox haven't been resolved with firmware updates, shouldn't the profile for the mibox be updated so that DTS will be automatically transcoded?

Sent from my SM-N9002 using Tapatalk

It should already be doing this.  If you have an example of it not, please provide the information in How to Report a Problem.

Thanks.

• 5 months later...
cybergrimes

I'm thinking about recommending my father in law get one of these to replace his Roku-- he watches live TV remotely from my Emby server and Roku can't decode MPEG2.

Can anyone comment on how it handles 1080i MPEG2 live TV? The largest bitrate I see here is around 15 Mbps at the most.

Also any experience with remote users watching live TV on the Mi Box?

Thanks!

Edited by cybergrimes

cybergrimes

Answers probably already in the forum or this thread but I bought one to find out ; )

Live TV 1080i will not start unless I enable 'Direct stream live TV' or use an external player. 720 and 480 live TV were fine without either at first but then stopped playing too. All recordings play natively, no issue.

Edit 1: I had the same problem when I switched back to my Shield, restarted server and now Mi Box is playing without either of those live TV settings being enabled. Sweet!

Edit 2: Not working again, now only reliable with external player setting. So odd *shrug*

Edited by cybergrimes

chali

After some problems using wetek play 2 / wetek hub and emby i ordered 9 of this mibox3 and one shield tv.

but i have a quiestone. when i change the sound from default aac stereo to dts 5.1  the volume get really low. 

on the wetek boxes the sound gets much higher when using dts.  if i look in emby dashboard it stats direkt play.

so why is the sound getting so low on mi box?  

PS: it really great that the built in mic works on emby,  i doesn't work on netflix for me 

mastrmind11

After some problems using wetek play 2 / wetek hub and emby i ordered 9 of this mibox3 and one shield tv.

but i have a quiestone. when i change the sound from default aac stereo to dts 5.1 the volume get really low.

on the wetek boxes the sound gets much higher when using dts. if i look in emby dashboard it stats direkt play.

so why is the sound getting so low on mi box?

PS: it really great that the built in mic works on emby, i doesn't work on netflix for me

DTS doesn't work on the mibox. Google around...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
Guest asrequested

@ will be happy :)

Lol...well, I have the Sheild now, so that's a bit late. But good to know. I have it hooked up to my receiver in the main room, so I can fiddle with :)

And I discovered that my receiver will pass through HDR :D

mastrmind11

Looks like the Oreo update for the Mi Box is starting to roll out. Wonder if it fixes some of the common issues people have especially around audio. 

https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/xiaomi-mdz-16-ab-oreo-update-build-2116-received.44396/

SUpposed to fix the DTS audio issue.  Fingers crossed.  I'm actually completely surprised they did this and didn't just roll out a new box altogether.

Guest asrequested

I think I read somewhere that they do have a new box, but it's not available internationally. But I may be misremembering.

majorsl

I think I read somewhere that they do have a new box, but it's not available internationally. But I may be misremembering.

I saw that rumor, since we're getting Oreo on the box, it seems that is why Walmart (the primary US seller) had the old version discounted.  The new version is rumored to be the exact same box, but with the newer remote and Oreo preinstalled and maybe some more promo items/apps.  Supposed to be sold at the original price point at Walmart.

I'm debating on updating our Mi's to Oreo. Everything we use on it "works" and works pretty well.

I assume Emby is good-to-go?

Jdiesel

The update also added Project Treble support which should make future updates much simpler and quicker. Hopefully they can get refresh rate switching worked out in the next update.