New Android TV box - Xiaomi Mi Box

Macburp

epayson85

Well if anyone does it let us know if Walmart let's you buy one. I am going to attempt to pick one up today after work. I got an email from Walmart that my order is ready for pickup.... so I might get lucky haha still afraid I will get there and they will tell me it can't be sold yet.

Macburp

Just about there to pick up both of my units.

Well gosh, ten minutes later and no youtube review?

:)

But seriously, looking forward to your feedback. May I ask why you are buying two units?

• Like 1

MSattler

And I got one! Yes!

So comparin notes:

1)  Setup was easy

2)  The upgrade image with the chinese hat was funny

3)  We can disable the stock Google apps just like on the shield.

4)  Emby seems to work fine connected to a TV, need to test it connected to an AVR.

5)  Live Channels\HdHomerun tuner works fine with no issues.

6)  "300" in full BluRay Direct Plays to Emby, no issues.

7)  New Remote Control friggin rocks!  Feels just as good as the Shield one, a little thicker.

8)  Remote does have volume buttons, like it better than the Shield.

• Like 1

epayson85

So comparin notes:

1)  Setup was easy

2)  The upgrade image with the chinese hat was funny

3)  We can disable the stock Google apps just like on the shield.

4)  Emby seems to work fine connected to a TV, need to test it connected to an AVR.

5)  Live Channels\HdHomerun tuner works fine with no issues.

6)  "300" in full BluRay Direct Plays to Emby, no issues.

7)  New Remote Control friggin rocks!  Feels just as good as the Shield one, a little thicker.

8)  Remote does have volume buttons, like it better than the Shield.

I will agree with you on everything other than the remote.  Granted I like this remote more... it comes with the box, doesn't cost $50, and no built in battery.  However... its doesn't feel as good as the shield remote.  I don't want other thinking there is some amazing remote in this box lol. I would say about the same weight but the shield remote is 100x better quality.  The shield remote is brushed metal... the mi box remote is cheap plastic LOL.  I also like the touch volume controls on the shield more.  Its a nice... touch lol yes the pun was intended.  Both lack pause / play and ff/rr buttons which doesn't bother me... but tough to teach someone like my parents.  

O also on a side topic since we are talking remotes.  EBR I finally got to use an apple remote.  FUCK THAT THING lol Def. not the best in my opinion.  Maybe if you are an apple person but I don't care for the gestures to do everything.  I don't know if you remember but you told me once it was the best haha so just wanted to put that out there.  If I could get this mi box remote, with play / pause and rr/ff it would be the best... IF it holds up / isn't a piece of junk.  Time will tell.

Over all thought I'm surprised by how small the box is.  Its in my office next to a router right now so everything runs crazy fast.  I will give it a test in a room with average wifi coverage and see what we get.  Over all though yes no difference between this and a shield what so ever when it comes to response / play back.  Other than of course limitations on HD sound codecs but that has no value for me.  

I am going to be doing some tests on kodi this weekend hopefully and see how it holds up on that.  Def. been a limitation of the nexus player is kodi can run slugish so excited to see how it runs on the mi box.  

• Like 1

MSattler

Shit I knew I should have checked lol may have bought another

They are going fast.  At my walmart where I first ordered for pickup my order was cancelled because they sold them before they could fulfill my order.  At the second Walmart I snagged the last 2 units.

The one funny thing is if you go deeper into the system menus, the explanations there are still chinese english.  Sentences that are about 80% correct, it's funny.  Especially because everything else is totally authentic google.   

As for the remote, I like it.   The weight feels about the same as the shield remote, and I swear this one is bigger and harder to lose.   It actually reminds me a ton of my NP remote <from memory> and the Amazon Echo.

good youtube review:

Edit; some good stuff but doesn't support frame rate switching at the moment or lossless audio.

Edited by Kent
  • Like 2

RanmaCanada

Anyone have tests of the various DTS formats.  The people on /r/androidtv are saying it doesn't work in plex very well.  Since we all use Emby, I am hoping that our ability to use external players gives us a serious advantage, and will possibly bring some converts.

MSattler

Anyone have tests of the various DTS formats.  The people on /r/androidtv are saying it doesn't work in plex very well.  Since we all use Emby, I am hoping that our ability to use external players gives us a serious advantage, and will possibly bring some converts.

Can you give me some examples of DTS formats you need tested?

Thanks!

MSattler

good youtube review:

Edit; some good stuff but doesn't support frame rate switching at the moment or lossless audio.

I would expect to see FRS at some point.  The lossless audio probably will not happen, but at the price point, I'm not sure there is anything else out there that can do lossless audio?

Macburp

What OS does it run, Marshmallow or Nougat?

The unboxing video I posted before said it was marshmallow I think.

Macburp

I think comparisons with the Shield are a tiny bit unfair, as that box costs twice as much. Is the Mi an improvment on the Nexus player, as the Mi Box is designed to replace the NP?

I think comparisons with the Shield are a tiny bit unfair, as that box costs twice as much. Is the Mi an improvment on the Nexus player, as the Mi Box is designed to replace the NP?

Agree but with FRS a feature degradation versus the NP.  Other than that they are comparable and the Mi is the 'spiritual successor'.  To MSattler's points, FRS is likely to be added at some point.

They may be unfair - to the Shield - because, at $70 bucks if frame rate switching and HD audio (which is only supported by jumping through hoops on the Shield) are the only things missing this is an awesome alternative for a very large part of the market.  Could be great for the platform.

I still haven't hooked mine up but will today.