Best Streaming Stick for Emby?

iamspartacus

iamspartacus

Didn't know which app section to put this in since there is no General section there.

I need to make a recommention for a new streaming stick for a few family members/friends and was wondering what the general consensus is for the best streaming stick for use with Emby.  Both in terms of being user friendly (for those less tech savvy) and being fast and supporting Direct Play as much as possible.

WIth the newly released Roku Stick Lineup out I'm leaning towards recommending that since a lot of my users have older Roku 1's and 2's so they are more familiar with it.  But if the AFTV Stick is generally considered better around here I'd love to here some thoughts.

Does it have to be a "stick"?  "Best" and "Stick" may be mutually exclusive ;).

In any case "best" is highly subjective.  It depends on what you really need.

The most capable device out there right now is the Nvidia Shield.

iamspartacus

Does it have to be a "stick"?  "Best" and "Stick" may be mutually exclusive ;).

In any case "best" is highly subjective.  It depends on what you really need.

The most capable device out there right now is the Nvidia Shield.

Yes. Budget is roughly $40-$50. I'm well aware they aren't going to compare to higher priced options.

Tur0k

I have a mibox (it is droid tv based) in my bedroom.

We have a windows PC in my upstairs living room it has Kodi and Emby Theatre installed on it. It is older Intel core 2 duo and runs on board video, nic, and audio. Live TV stutter a bit, even after tweaking the system. I am to the point where i think it needs to be upgraded.

My main HTPC is in my HT room and runs Emby server and has Kodi and Emby Theatre. It is an older AMD six core 3.2 GHz base clock that is overclocked to 3.69 GHz with 8GB Of ram and an old ATI 6850 video card. I also run Emby Theatre and Kodi on my main PC (Intel i7 4790K , 8GB of RAM, with a GeForce 1070), and my wife's photo editing workstation (Intel i7 3rd generation, with 8GB of RAM and a GeForce 970). The experience is the best on these three systems.

My kids have an iPad mini and a amazon fire 7 tablet. My wife and I both have iPhones. We had a droid tablet (my son killed it), and an iPod touch (my son killed it). The droid and iOS devices gave us the best viewing experience.

The amazon fire 7 tablet doesn't have an official app and we have to access our Emby via browser. For my three year old son this is not optimal.

Overall The Mibox works well aside from a few issues with Live TV playback. I am working through those and expect to be able to resolve it shortly.

I am planning on building a cheap ITX based motherboard and an older gen AMD 8320 MINI PC, with a GeForce 1050 mini video card. I could then run Kodi and Emby Theatre on it. This could then replace my old core 2 duo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tur0k

maegibbons

The new Fire TV Dongle seems a pretty good balance of price/performance.

I have a couple of the old 2016 Fire TVs and a Firestick and a Xiaomi MI aswell.

They all work well.

Main thing is do NOT be tempted by the cheap budget boxes - you will just have grief.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons

MiBox is the best bang for the buck imo.

As long as you don't require direct play of DTS or HD audio.  Both will be converted to Dolby Digital which most stuff is anyway.

mastrmind11

As long as you don't require direct play of DTS or HD audio.  Both will be converted to Dolby Digital which most stuff is anyway.

Yep.