New Android TV box - Xiaomi Mi Box

Macburp

Guest asrequested

This update to Oreo , fixed all my sound issues, as far i can tell, after watching 2 movies

So it's officially released? Or did you get the pre-release?

Guest asrequested

SUpposed to fix the DTS audio issue.  Fingers crossed.  I'm actually completely surprised they did this and didn't just roll out a new box altogether.

Here ya go @@mastrmind11

5b31d44ed718b_IMG_20180625_224447.jpg

5b31d468a24b8_IMG_20180625_224244.jpg

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

It works very nicely. There's a setting to convert HDR to SDR, too. The only glitch I've found is that Live TV still has little pauses, mpv was worse, but everything else is buttery smooth.

• Like 1

majorsl

I updated as well.  A pretty decent update!  I actually like the new home screen, I realize I may be in the minority.  :)

Ooooooo, I didn't realize there is an HDR to SDR setting... I have a couple of things I need to try with Emby and that.  Anyone give it a go?  I assume it is somehow automatic?

neik

Does the Emby App adjust the refresh rate (24p, etc.) on the Mi Box?

With my FTVS it unfortunately it plays everything in 1080p60 instead of adjusting to the actual refresh rate.

Jdiesel

Does the Emby App adjust the refresh rate (24p, etc.) on the Mi Box?

With my FTVS it unfortunately it plays everything in 1080p60 instead of adjusting to the actual refresh rate.

Nope sounds like refresh rate switching is still broken on the Mi Box.

tdiguy

I hope that i can update my mi box after manually updating it to the beta build, i will have to give that a go after work today.

neik

Nope sounds like refresh rate switching is still broken on the Mi Box.

Is this a Mi Box or App issue? Are there plans to fix this?

The only alternative to the Mi Box using actual Android TV is the Shield, right?

Guest asrequested

I hope that i can update my mi box after manually updating it to the beta build, i will have to give that a go after work today.

From what I've read, it should be fine.

tdiguy

Very nice, turns out i was able to update it with the system tool via ota update. Looks great also! 

Guest asrequested

If you ask me, the mibox has a big advantage over shield, now. Mibox has the HDR to SDR and SDR to HDR, options. But the shield doesn't appear to have that. At least I can't find it.

mastrmind11

sweet, hopefully the 3 will get a nice 15-20% price drop so I can add a couple more to my collection.

tdiguy

One issue i have run into with the new oreo update is that it seems like performance degrades over time. When i first power it up it can play live tv from emby just fine for a day or 2 without issue. Day 3 though performance starts to really drop off, rebooting corrects this very readily. I think i am going to connect the mi box up to my smart strip so it powers off with the tv.

mastrmind11

One issue i have run into with the new oreo update is that it seems like performance degrades over time. When i first power it up it can play live tv from emby just fine for a day or 2 without issue. Day 3 though performance starts to really drop off, rebooting corrects this very readily. I think i am going to connect the mi box up to my smart strip so it powers off with the tv.

No CEC?

tdiguy

No CEC?

My tv is does not support cec. I thought it was the mi box at first because i have seen people have issues with it, so i plugged the fire tv into my bedroom tv and it still did not work. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It is not working as of 2018-08-19, and does not seem to be fixed in the nearest betas either. 

If you read the forum post you link to, the fix is for auto RESOLUTION (not refreshrate) which is a bug where the autoresolution setting always defaults to 720p 60hz, which you fix by disabling autoresolution and sets the resolution manually.

There is no simple way to root the device and try the 905x chipset framerate fix apps either.

I will return my xiaomi box tomorrow, as everyting i try stutters and the refreshrate doesn't change no matter what you do.

Edited by joggs