Can't decide which NAS to buy

LiquidAurum

noremacyug

I have a old emachines basic, boring case that I can get about 4-6 3.5 hdds and a 2.5 ssd for os or some variation of that number if I'm mildly creative. My needs consist of just wanting to handle 4 3.5 hdds and then 1 or 2 2.5 ssd/hdd so this simple/free/available case will suite me fine. I couldn't care less about a raid solution which had me looking to unraid and if I didn't want to run blue iris I might have stuck with unraid. However, my being anal had me itching at the thought of having to run a VM in unraid simply to run a Windows 7 install just to handle blue iris. Soooo, I've just installed Windows 7 for my os. I plan on later running snapraid or perhaps stablebit's Drivepool and Scanner to offer some form of bitrot protection and a form of backup. My array will mostly contain media files that I can recover should I have a failure so I'm thinking I don't really want to waste a hdd just to have parity. So that has me leaning towards Stablebit's products. I plan on using it to pool my drives (which can vary in size), duplicate a few folders that I would consider important and then use Scanner to mitigate bitrot. I currently have it up and running and it has plenty of power for my needs. I've only got one 5tb hdd installed right now, but will add the 3tb hdd I have to the array when I get some time to do so. The OS and programs live on a 240gb ssd for nice performance. Right now the server only runs Blue Iris, sonarr, Sabnzbd, couchpotato and Emby......no problems there.

• 3 weeks later...
Gaitkeeper

I really appreciate this thread. I am currently running a QNAP TS-431 with the Emby server & Emby Theater running off an Alienware Alpha. My problem is this:

Since I don't want the computer running 24-7, I have to run up 2 flights of stairs to turn on the computer and start the Emby server if I want to watch a movie in the living room downstairs (via FireTV or AppleTV or whatever). But before that, I have to open file explorer and connect to the mapped drive on the qnap, which means inserting my UN & PW for the qnap. PITA.

I am considering the QNAP 451+ so that I can have the server running at all times and I don't have to jump through these hoops to watch a movie.

Also, if I'm upstairs, I can take advantage of the fact that the 451 has an HDMI connection and again I can cut out the middle man of the PC.

My question is, if the qnap is serving files to the FireTV, is it transcoding as well, or is the FireTV doing the heavy lifting?

Is anyone doing this that can attest to the performance?

My library is strictly DVD's. No live TV, no Blu-Rays.

Thanks again for starting this conversation.

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
glennselby

again in the interest of balance i have to note that in my testing with the synology server and my client of choice (kodi or the emby app on android tv  shield) 95% or more of the media direct plays so it doesnt matter that there's no horsepower. yes tasks are a little slower, but i can see that i could live with it

you don't say where you have your media located at the moment but if you need the storage from a nas anyway then i would say try a nas and then consider adding a nuc as the windows server if you dont find it snappy enough. also my nuc is anything but silent. they may have got better but i'm deeply disappointed in mine in that regard

Can I run the Emby server on the Shield? I am currently running a Plex Media Server on my Shield and does fine for transcoding recorded programs from my Samsung T5 500GB SSD attached to the Shield  and watching via Roku. HOWEVER, Roku has trouble with playing Live TV with Plex, so I am looking at Emby and would like to run the Emby server on my Shield.

mastrmind11

Can I run the Emby server on the Shield? I am currently running a Plex Media Server on my Shield and does fine for transcoding recorded programs from my Samsung T5 500GB SSD attached to the Shield  and watching via Roku. HOWEVER, Roku has trouble with playing Live TV with Plex, so I am looking at Emby and would like to run the Emby server on my Shield.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/53944-emby-server-for-android/