Request new player in android/amazon app

wolfgang

CBers

You guys are going to want to explore the settings page on the beta that should make it to you sometime tomorrow.

Beta is on its way up.

Not updated as yet, but what does this beta include/fix please ??

shorty1483

Not updated as yet, but what does this beta include/fix please ??

External player support.

@@RanmaCanada You know that everything gets transcoded (h264 (native) -> h264 (libx264) + aac using external player?  That's how it works, also in the Emby Mobile app.

Regarding the problem specified here @ebr http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/37235-request-new-player-in-androidamazon-app/page-3&do=findComment&comment=356274 , I sideloaded regular vlc and MXPlayer as external player options and the Emby transcoded files using the original file bitrate play flawlessly on my device, even the 30Mbit+ ones.

Definitely a step forward!

Edited by shorty1483
  • Like 1

shorty1483

So is Kodi deemed an External Player then  ;) ??

Yep m8, working too. But when choosing it, Kodi first boots up and you see the not complete loaded Homescreen for a short period. When quitting the stream, Kodi consumed so much RAM on my device that Emby app closed. I find that annoying, so I stick with VLC or MX+XDACodecs.

Edited by shorty1483
  • Like 1

CBers

Yep m8, working too. But when choosing it, Kodi first boots up and you see the not complete loaded Homescreen for a short period. When quitting the stream, Kodi consumed so much RAM on my device that Emby app closed. I find that annoying, so I stick with VLC or MX.

What box you running Kodi and ATV on ??

I'll try it on my Shield TV tonight ;)

• Like 1

shorty1483

What box you running Kodi and ATV on ??

I'll try it on my Shield TV tonight ;)

Fire TV 4K 2GB RAM. Have to check out, I set up the cachemembuffer to 210 MB in Kodi to eliminate the Kodi buffering issue on many Android devices. For sure this eats up RAM. But back to topic :D

• Like 1

Sweet! Many thanks ebr. I have been swapping between SPMC and MXplayer (with additional codecs) but the latter is the most seamless/integrated and it feels part of EATV so I have set it as the default. Plays everything I have thrown at it so far.

• Like 2

Update: Does not seem to be obeying the external player rule for live or recorded TV - continues to use internal player.

@@RanmaCanada You know that everything gets transcoded (h264 (native) -> h264 (libx264) + aac using external player?  That's how it works, also in the Emby Mobile app.

That is not the case.  Almost everything will be passed on direct without transcoding or even remuxing (which means your external player needs to be able to handle it).  Just about the only thing that should cause a trancode would be the app bitrate setting.

• Like 1

Update: Does not seem to be obeying the external player rule for live or recorded TV - continues to use internal player.

I just retested and this is working properly for me.  Can you be more specific as to what you think isn't working?

There is no specific setting for recorded TV as those are just videos like anything else (and will obey the setting for videos).

With 'Use External Player' checked for both Live TV and Video I play a video (typically .mkv), am prompted to choose which external player I want and the video plays with the MXplayer OSD coming up when I pause etc. With Live TV and Recorded TV (all .ts files from NextPVR) there is no prompt and the OSD is that of the internal player, ergo the external player is not kicking in. Could this be a problem with .ts files?

Edit: Narrowed it down. I can play recordings using the external player from my 'Recordings' library in EATV but if I go to the 'Live TV' tab everything (recordings and Live channels) default to the internal player. Most odd!

Edited by Heuer

shorty1483

That is not the case.  Almost everything will be passed on direct without transcoding or even remuxing (which means your external player needs to be able to handle it).  Just about the only thing that should cause a trancode would be the app bitrate setting.

Used MXPlayer, SPMC and VLC as test players. BUT: Are external subtitles, if present, burned in? You're right, it seems that I unintentionally tested in the morning just with movies that have external forced subs. That would explain why lot of my movies get transcoded even with bitrate a lot lower than set in App. If so, then my apologies Sir :D

ffmpeg-transcode-3a7489fd-0b5e-4fa9-8a4c-82c02f8a727f.txt

Edited by shorty1483

Used MXPlayer, SPMC and VLC as test players. BUT: Are external subtitles, if present, burned in? You're right, it seems that I unintentionally tested in the morning just with movies that have external forced subs. That would explain why lot of my movies get transcoded even with bitrate a lot lower than set in App. If so, then my apologies Sir :D

Yes, that would be another case where the server would be forced to transcode in order to deliver the subs.

Edit: Narrowed it down. I can play recordings using the external player from my 'Recordings' library in EATV but if I go to the 'Live TV' tab everything (recordings and Live channels) default to the internal player. Most odd!

"Live TV tab"...?

Exactly where isn't it working?  I may have missed a spot somehow.

I have media libraries set up as follows:

media%20libraries.jpg

For speed here is the Live TV view from Theatre, EATV shows the same menu items obviously. None of the files accessed from here will open the external player in EATV:

theatre1.jpg

If however I go to the Recordings library the files open in the external player:

theatre2.jpg

The TV recordings are in a 'Recorded TV' folder on the HTPC (I told NextPVR to put them there) and the library I added points to the same folder. So one way in works, the other does not.

Edited by Heuer

Forgot to add both Theatre and EA open all the files with external players either from 'Live TV' or 'Recordings'.

Can you show me a screen shot from the app we're talking about?  You are showing me images from a completely different app so I'm not positive about where you are talking in this app.

I just went into my "Live TV" library in the Android TV app and played a channel and a program from there and it used the External player.

Its possible that something is different about an external Live TV service vs. ours but I'm not sure what that is without knowing exactly where you are having the issue (in this app).  Thx.

RanmaCanada

ok, with SPMC, my files start roughly at the same time frame as it has taken to open SPMC.  So if it took 20 seconds, it starts the file at the 20 second mark, etc.  MX Player, plays them at the beginning, but I need to find a version that supports 10bit HEVC on my S905 boxes ha.  The biggest thing for me is 10bit and subtitle support.  Thus far SPMC is the far superior player, for me.  Going to try some 4k stuff and see how well it works.  

Thank you for your hard work once again.

@@Heuer I think I just reproduced your issue.  It is not related to the Live TV library, it is related to drilling all the way down into a detail screen on a live TV program.  I'll look at it.  Thx.

CBers

I was just about to confirm that my Live TV still plays via VLC. OSD = Direct/V.

Doesn't the "Use External Player for Live TV" option conflict with the "Attempt to use VLC for Live TV", as both options can be enabled at the same time? With the VLC option disabled, Live TV doesn't play, I just get a spinning circle.

Doesn't the "Use External Player for Live TV" option conflict with the "Attempt to use VLC for Live TV", as both options can be enabled at the same time? With the VLC option disabled, Live TV doesn't play, I just get a spinning circle.

When you enable the external player, you should notice that those other options become disabled - because they are going to be ignored.

Here is a question for you super-tweakers:

If we were to pass the actual direct path to the item to your external player (the value shown below), would any of them be able to access and play it?

57bb596ea400b_directpath.png

CBers

When you enable the external player, you should notice that those other options become disabled - because they are going to be ignored.

Yes I've seen that, but I was able to have both options enabled just now.

Can't reproduce it at the moment.

You can have them both selected but, if an external is being used, that other option is going to be ignored.

I can't explain why it isn't disabled like the other ignored options but I have seen that problem sometimes with the settings dialog.  It isn't consistent, right?  If you just un-check and re-check the external option that one gets disabled, right?