Where is the Kodi/Emby error log saved ?

geoff511

geoff511

Hi guys,

I have Emby (V 3.0.5972.0) as the librarian/server for a huge Movie and TV library and watch the shows via Kodi.

Problem is, regularly when I start Kodi, it will lose the link to Emby (a orange message appears in the middle of the screen) and I have to re-scan the WHOLE library to be able to watch anything, and have the watched state change.

If that was just the problem, it would be OK, just annoying, however, most times when it tries the re-scan it will stop and say an Error Log has been created.

1) Where is the Error Log saved ?

2) How to I get to the error log on an Asustor ?

3) How do I read it ?       or    copy the error log to my PC so I can read it ?

Thanks.

(PS Using Kodi with Emby is a real nightmare !!)

geoff511

Hi CBers,

Thanks for the reply, but unless you use a Asustor NAS you may not understand what I was asking.

Asustor saves and puts files on the h/drives in odd locations. Most of which you can't access via File Explorer.

These Error Log files created by the Emby Addon in Kodi are one such file.

What I am asking is, does any-one know how to access these error logs and once accessed, how to read them or copy to a Windows h/drive ?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
Tarl Cabot

Hi guys,

I have Emby (V 3.0.5972.0) as the librarian/server for a huge Movie and TV library and watch the shows via Kodi.

Problem is, regularly when I start Kodi, it will lose the link to Emby (a orange message appears in the middle of the screen) and I have to re-scan the WHOLE library to be able to watch anything, and have the watched state change.

If that was just the problem, it would be OK, just annoying, however, most times when it tries the re-scan it will stop and say an Error Log has been created.

1) Where is the Error Log saved ?

2) How to I get to the error log on an Asustor ?

3) How do I read it ?       or    copy the error log to my PC so I can read it ?

Thanks.

(PS Using Kodi with Emby is a real nightmare !!)

Hey Geoff,

Yep, easy access to necessary files like log, hosts and db files is another epic Asustor fail. These files are located in hidden directories on the NAS, inaccessible using normal file explorer navigation.  

The default path for your Emby logs is: /volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/mediabrowser/bin/ProgramData-Server/logs  but you will need a 3rd-party utility to establish an SSH session in order to gain access to them. I recommend WinSCP, but that's just a personal preference. I use it often to access my Asustor system and plugin files like Kodi and Emby. It's intuitive, with a split-window GUI, drag 'n drop, etc. (see attached screenshot) I also recommend Notepad++ for working with the log files, actually for any files you'd normally use Microsoft Notepad for. 

Here are a few steps to get you headed in the right direction:

1. Log into your ADM with an admin account. Go to Services>Terminal and enable SSH and SFTP, standard SSH port:22 and click "Apply." (if applicable, adjust your NAS firewall rules as necessary to allow the local traffic)
  2. Download and install WinSCP on your PC. Once installed, launch it and create a new login session. Select SCP for file protocol, enter your NAS ip address, user "root" (root password is the same as your primary Asustor NAS admin account). Save the session configuration and then click Login.
  3. Navigate to the desired NAS directory in the right-hand window. In this case, it's  /volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/mediabrowser/bin/ProgramData-Server/logs and highlight the .txt log you wish to work with. 
  4. At this point, you could simply right-click on the log file, select Edit and then choose your txt editor from the drop-down list. However, I strongly advise against that practice. Instead, get in the habit of copying files (dragging and dropping) into a local PC folder in the left-hand window first, then minimize WinSCP and use regular File Explorer, Notepad++, etc., programs to work with the local copy. The rationale is that if you screw up, it's just a copy rather than the original NAS file. Not a big deal for log flies, but certainly a good habit for working with more critical Asustor files like hosts and db's.

57af8ad688a6a_WinSCP.jpg

As an aside, I've just started using the Kodi/Emby combo to manage a household of Amazon Fire devices with Kodi installations, and while I agree it takes a bit to get the hang of it, it's actually a pretty good solution, powerful too, especially if using the "Emby for Kodi" Kodi addon to assist with integration. My biggest issue so far was setting up the correct path substitutions and syntax, but once I cracked that nut, everything else went smoothly. For whatever reason, the normal online instructions and syntax for SMB path substitutions were not working properly on my particular setup. Perhaps you have the same or similar path issues too? In any case, here's an example of actual syntax that worked for me:

Local Asustor path: /volume1/media/movies

Path substitution: smb://AS5102T/Media/Movies   (of course your actual system and folder names would be different, but the syntax and "/" placement is exactly as it should look)

Hope this helps. Cheers.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...