Plug-In Request - Philips Hue controll.

julianb
Go to solution Solved by nxenos83,

julianb
Hi guys! Just bought some philips hue lights (still waiting for them to arrive), and then I got this thing in my head: 

What if MB3 could controll these lights and make them change color based on the backdrops (picks 2-4 points in the picture to reproduce that color, like the philips app does)

Automatically dims the lights off when a movie start, and turn them back on when the movie is finished. (when externalplayer closes / when MBT stops playing). 

This would be super cool, and would fit MB3 very good! There is also alot more we could do with this, with pre defined scenes etc..

What do you guys think? :)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
snazy2000

Sounds cool shame I haven't got any to work with :/

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Snazy likes building these kinds of things. if someone can donate the hardware to him, you might get lucky.

• Like 1

Danee

I can't donate a full set, what if Snazy set up a paypal account with a donate button for this?

People interested could fill this up to get what they want (me included :)

snazy2000

It may be possible to do the dim and brighten but don't think will be possible to get RGB colours from.the video like xbm c does :/

Danee

Am I going crazy, I now notice the donate button in your sig, has it always been there and did I miss it or did you add it just now?

Anyway, beeing able to dim/brighten lights will be cool to start with. Did you find this: http://developers.meethue.com/ ?

I might be able to help you out with communicating to the hue bridge, I've programmed an Arduino to do some things with my hue, it detects, connects automaticly and reads the lights all by itself (the only user intervention is to press the button on the bridge to give out an API key) all other functions would be specific to this use case but not really rocket science.

Edit: just donated £ 9,- couldn't add a remark, you'll recognize my name :) if 19 more donate Snazy can buy a hue!

Edited by Danee
  • Like 1

snazy2000

Yea thank you danee really appreciate the support! I have been looking at there api yes :)

psykix

I just donated you a fiver. Don't have a Philips Hue system, but it intrigues me and I may get one at some point...

• Like 2

MrWebsmith

same here... i've been on the fence to add Hue lighting to my Smartthings Home system.... 

and from my persepctive you are a huge part of the mb3 dev team already... so donation is inbound! (hopefully thats enough for a pint or two, cheers!)

Edited by MrWebsmith
  • Like 2

Danee

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more response, maybe it's because of the holidays... bump^ :)

• Like 1

Vicpa

Hi,

While you are looking at home automation. I will throw in a vote for Vera. They support all manner of devices (Hue lighting included) and have a plugin architecture. They have a bunch of media plugins, av receivers, XMBC and the like. http://apps.mios.com/

Sadly no MB3 plugin :(

MrWebsmith

LOVE my smartthings stuff so far..I have great flexibility and they have active devs always adding new features or connecting to my other components

And no its not a commercial just love the stuff ive gotten so far and always look to expand it all...for our house hue lights and dropcams are next up

• 8 months later...
julianb
Thank you for the respond! I'm not sure how much you looked in to it, but it should atleast be possible to dim the lights from 0 to 100% depending of what you are doing. 

If we could get an simple Philips Hue app in Emby it would be great. 

What I have in mind is that you can set some pre definition scenes to different tasks. 

Definition:

IF internalplayer starts -> dim light to 20%

IF externalplayer "mpc-hc.exe" starts -> dim light to 0%

when internalplayer stops -> set light to 80%

when externalplayer "name.exe" -> set light to 40%

Philips hue have now some cheaper bulbs (LUX) (one color, only dimmable). So this could make the Home Theater experience alot more complete and cheap. 

BTW, this post is old, and is now in the wrong catagory, if this could be moved to "Plug-ins and Themes" it would be great :)

Edited by julianb

• 4 months later...
julianb

Anything come of this? I would definitely be willing to donate if development was being worked on.

I don't know, but there is a Vera plugin now, and Vera is compatible with Hue, but I don't own Vera so I can't comment on how it works. 

chef

Let me see how much extra money I have to purchase a set of hue lights. If I do I'll write the plugin or I will add it to the Vera plugin.

• Like 1

chef

This can be done.

Load backdrop bitmap.

Select points on the bitmap and get the RgB

Send hue lights the colour codes.

But it's going to be a while until I can afford a set.

• Like 3

julianb

This can be done.

Load backdrop bitmap.

Select points on the bitmap and get the RgB

Send hue lights the colour codes.

But it's going to be a while until I can afford a set.

That's great! Why don't you have an donate button in your signature? You have done alot of great work for EMBY! :)

• 1 month later...
bondfreak

Has there been any progress in implementing the Hue things (or better: do you already have the lights? :) )?

That's great! Why don't you have an donate button in your signature? You have done alot of great work for EMBY! :)

I would totally donate as well :) Really like the idea of changing the lights for different scenarios.

Would it even be possible to only activate the "light show" during night time? 

When I get a good deal for the new Hue 2.0 box, I got a free Hue 1.0 box to lend you for testing. Only thing that's missing is a light bulb :(