How to force stereo from 5.1 audio?

remainz

remainz

HI

Sorry if this has already been answered but I couldn't find it.

I am playing HEVC with 5.1 files to A Fire stick. Only the rear audio channels are going to my telly.

How to I force it to transcode to stereo?

In http://localhost:8096/web/encodingsettings.html/Playback/Transcoding I dont see anything about audio except boost when downmixing.

Or anywhere else.

thanks remainz

I am just coming to Emby because it can do HEVC on a home server.

UG Typo in title sorry. edit wont let me fix the title

Edited by remainz

• 3 years later...

Hello @@ebr

I can't find that within settings, even in Sub/Audio defaults. I'm using Fire TV app v 1.7.78a

Can you please advise? Thanks

"Compatible" was renamed to "Downmix to Stereo" a while ago.  Select that for Audio under the Playback settings.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
thegrunge

@ebrI can't find this function in the chromecast tv. I have a bit of the same problem with my stereo tv. When I listen to stereo content I sound quite loud, but when it is 5.1 I have to turn the volume to maximum and again the sound is not very loud.

thank you

3 hours ago, thegrunge said:

@ebrI can't find this function in the chromecast tv. I have a bit of the same problem with my stereo tv. When I listen to stereo content I sound quite loud, but when it is 5.1 I have to turn the volume to maximum and again the sound is not very loud.

thank you

Hi.  Assuming you are on the latest release, if you don't see an audio output setting then that means you are already in downmix mode because that is all that the device chain supports.

thegrunge

Ok. so the conversion is done automatically now. tv must be the problem then. I tried audio settings in this tv but nothing has changed.

thegrunge

@Luke if the conversion is done automatically now from the new update I can't do anything more to correct this problem.  I don't know if I'm the only one having this problem with older stereo TVs

Yes, the app is just doing the exact same thing as if you selected "Downmix to stereo" in the option.

thegrunge

@ebr if i am not mistaken, this option is not available in the emby application of the Chromecast tv?

6 minutes ago, thegrunge said:

@ebr if i am not mistaken, this option is not available in the emby application of the Chromecast tv?

It is only visible if there are multiple options for you to select.  If the only option is to downmix, then that is selected and the option is not there (because there is nothing to select).

6 hours ago, thegrunge said:

@ebr under what circumstance can there be multiple option choices selected?

Not multiple options selected - multiple options to choose from.  If the device chain supports audio beyond stereo, then there are three possible settings for this option.  If it only supports stereo, there is only one possible choice so it is always selected (downmix).

thegrunge

@ebr ok i understand better.  in this case, the last option is chosen.  his tv must be defective.

Thank you