Calling all beta testers

ebr

kefler

On what platform, playing with what kind of content, direct streaming or transcoding...?

Android TV (NExus Player) w/ at least 3  MKV's 720p.. transcoding.   I figure I need to recreate and do the send logs things here :)

Edit:   FWIW I just enabled debug, played a show (shark tank) till 15:43. Then pulled up OSD, and hit the jump back.  Display showed 15:33 and then a few seconds later it jumped back.  As soon as that happened, the display changed to 0:00 but video kept playing.   At this point the show was playing from 15:33, but the progress bar shows 0:00.  Any further skips would actually jump to near the beginning. 

I sent logs, user is 'stephen'.   (Note this is the 2nd log upload, first is for the audio issue in the other thread).

Seems like transcode re-starts when the jump back occurs, and maybe for some reason the client resets the play time to zero.  

Edited by kefler

CBers

Eric - how are you testing for non-compatible devices?

As you know, any DD/DTS videos I have are all now transcoding if on the Nexus Player or Shield.

On the FTV, I still get Direct Play.

I see loads of people having success, but I'm not.

Thanks.

Android TV (NExus Player) w/ at least 3  MKV's 720p.. transcoding.   I figure I need to recreate and do the send logs things here :)

Edit:   FWIW I just enabled debug, played a show (shark tank) till 15:43. Then pulled up OSD, and hit the jump back.  Display showed 15:33 and then a few seconds later it jumped back.  As soon as that happened, the display changed to 0:00 but video kept playing.   At this point the show was playing from 15:33, but the progress bar shows 0:00.  Any further skips would actually jump to near the beginning. 

I sent logs, user is 'stephen'.   (Note this is the 2nd log upload, first is for the audio issue in the other thread).

Seems like transcode re-starts when the jump back occurs, and maybe for some reason the client resets the play time to zero.  

If you resume one of those same items is the display incorrect as well?

Eric - how are you testing for non-compatible devices?

As you know, any DD/DTS videos I have are all now transcoding if on the Nexus Player or Shield.

On the FTV, I still get Direct Play.

I see loads of people having success, but I'm not.

Thanks.

They are only transcoding the audio and that is to mix it down to 2-channel so it will work with your hardware.

Just for kicks - try turning off compatible mode and playing one of these items with DD for a little bit and then send me the log.  I want to see if you are getting the same failure that keffler is.

I'm having an issue with a few x265 media files, they randomly stop at specific points in the movie, the only way to get it to play is to skip forward, even if I quit out of the movie and try to resume it at the same time, it refuses to play These same files played fine in the non-beta version

On what device?  Transcoding or direct?

gillmacca

I signed up for the beta yesterday morning, but still haven't received any updates (still on 1.1.49a)

I signed up for the beta yesterday morning, but still haven't received any updates (still on 1.1.49a)

Amazon requires a different procedure for beta.  You have to be sure you have all marketing communications enabled for the Amazon account and then PM me the email address for that Amazon account.

gillmacca

Amazon requires a different procedure for beta.  You have to be sure you have all marketing communications enabled for the Amazon account and then PM me the email address for that Amazon account.

How do I know if all marketing communications are enabled. The only one I can find that mentions marketing is under advertising preferences, and I have that set to 'do not personalise ads'

CBers

They are only transcoding the audio and that is to mix it down to 2-channel so it will work with your hardware.

Just for kicks - try turning off compatible mode and playing one of these items with DD for a little bit and then send me the log. I want to see if you are getting the same failure that keffler is.

Send Logs from within the app?

How do I know if all marketing communications are enabled. The only one I can find that mentions marketing is under advertising preferences, and I have that set to 'do not personalise ads'

Go here and click "Customer Communications Preferences"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468552

CBers

Just sent one to you now from my Shield.

Sorry, that was with COMPATIBLE still set.

Just tried sending you another set of logs when DIRECT was set, but there was no option (next to App Settings/Logout.

I then went into settings and out again and the Send Logs option was there, so I selected it. Hope it gathered all of the playback stuff.

OSD said DOLBY 5.1 DIRECT/I but there was no audio.

Pirlo1966

What kind of subtitles specifically?

I have not had any issues with the ones I've been able to test.

pgssubs

audio streams are now DCA instead of DTS. I guess it's the same but why no longer using the common names DTS / DTS-HD MA / ...

when changing from one audio stream to another (both DTS) movies go from direct play to transcoding ...

Sorry, that was with COMPATIBLE still set.

Just tried sending you another set of logs when DIRECT was set, but there was no option (next to App Settings/Logout.

I then went into settings and out again and the Send Logs option was there, so I selected it. Hope it gathered all of the playback stuff.

OSD said DOLBY 5.1 DIRECT/I but there was no audio.

Okay thanks.  I just wanted to see if the system was generating the same warning as keffler.  It isn't.  Your system doesn't seem to have any clue that DD won't work.

• Like 1

pgssubs

Okay, internal graphic subs are probably going to require burning in now.  If you can extract or replace with external text-based it will perform much better.

when changing from one audio stream to another (both DTS) movies go from direct play to transcoding ...

Yes, switching to alternate audio tracks will require transcoding now - but only of the audio.  Should be pretty lightweight.

CBers

Your system doesn't seem to have any clue that DD won't work.

Is that a good thing :D

What do you mean by "your system" ?? My Shield ??

Is that a good thing :D

What do you mean by "your system" ?? My Shield ??

Yeah, in keffler's situation the device looked like it saw that the audio wasn't available.  In yours, there is no indication of that.

I'm hoping in his situation that a simple re-boot will fix it because I don't know why else his device would not be able to send audio to his receiver.  There aren't any audio settings on the NP.

Pirlo1966

Okay, internal graphic subs are probably going to require burning in now.  If you can extract or replace with external text-based it will perform much better.

Yes, switching to alternate audio tracks will require transcoding now - but only of the audio.  Should be pretty lightweight.

Extract or replace internal graphic subs is not an option in a movie library of +1800 titles ...

I guess it means back to latest official release for me.

Extract or replace internal graphic subs is not an option in a movie library of +1800 titles ...

I guess it means back to latest official release for me.

The next beta will properly handle your pgs subs - but they will need to be burned in (this didn't take long in my tests).

• Like 1

Pirlo1966

The next beta will properly handle your pgs subs - but they will need to be burned in (this didn't take long in my tests).

What is  burned in? Are blu-ray discs ripped into mkv containers (with makemkv) with original subs and audio tracks okay?

What is  burned in? Are blu-ray discs ripped into mkv containers (with makemkv) with original subs and audio tracks okay?

Burned in means that, since the subtitle information is actually graphical instead of text, they need to be super-imposed on the video by the server.  Many BD discs contain these types of graphical subs but it just depends.