Calling all beta testers

ebr

All of you in the beta program both on Amazon and Google devices.  I need you to hammer on the latest beta of the app (.58) and find any problems.

A lot of internals have changed which, I think, will provide some great new functionality as well as improved playback and, also, improved stability (due to updates in the underlying framework).

So, now we just need to be sure there haven't been any regressions with all of the changes that have occurred.

You can report in this thread or create new ones in the testing area.  Thanks.

• Like 2

omeed321

Thanks for adding the 4k icon!

I notice that with plex I am able to get DTS-HD to show up if I force direct play but with emby I can only get dts, is this something that could be fixed?

I also notice that when I plug a pair of headphones in the shield controller I get no audio, this can be fixed by setting the audio to compatible but that forces everything to be transcoded.

Edited by omeed321

I also notice that when I plug a pair of headphones in the shield controller I get no audio, this can be fixed by setting the audio to compatible but that forces everything to be transcoded.

The transcoding should be fairly lightweight, though as it is only downmixing the audio.

First make sure that the Amazon account on the device has not opted out of Marketing Communications from Amazon.  Then PM me the email address for that Amazon account.

omeed321

The transcoding should be fairly lightweight, though as it is only downmixing the audio.

yea thats what I noticed as well, but is there any chance to get dts-hd support like plex does?

jasonmcroy

Hi Ebr,

I have been playing around with this on my Shield TV today. I noticed that you removed the option to skip forward on .ts files (I understand why from my other thread) but it seems like the App won't allow resume to work on those files now. Resume works fine on my other files but I tested two different .ts files and if I stop playback after 10 minutes or so then open the file again the resume button is there but if I press it the video just starts back at the beginning of the file.

Additionally it's not reporting the resume mark to the server. I opened the web client and those same files don't display a resume point.

It is reporting the resume but, when you try to resume it and it fails, that wipes it out.

This is the same problem.  No seeking also means no resume.  I may just have to disable direct play of .ts but I need to find a way to do that that doesn't also kill it for live TV.

jasonmcroy

It is reporting the resume but, when you try to resume it and it fails, that wipes it out.

This is the same problem.  No seeking also means no resume.  I may just have to disable direct play of .ts but I need to find a way to do that that doesn't also kill it for live TV.

That makes sense and I sort of thought that may be what is happening.

I have been playing some Live TV to test that out. The video quality generally looks really nice. However, I am getting an occasional "glitch" in the video. Kind of like a frame skip maybe? I am not sure how to describe it. It is like a brief stutter, mostly on an action scene or when the camera pans around quickly in the show I am watching. It is brief but noticeable. It doesn't seem to affect audio at all and lip sync is fine.

Now it seems like the longer I watch the more often it occurs, but again, still only on action scenes. 

CBers

I'll get my Fire TV updated today.

Just got the update on my FTV - had to uninstall and reinstall to get it for some reason.

I see that VLC is still in the Fire TV version of the app, which means all of my DD content Direct Plays quite happily, whereas the same content on the NP has to transcode, even when both devices are connected to the same dumb TV.

This is a strange situation!

I know you've mentioned the reasons for the NP version now having to transcode Eric, but having a mismatch like this is really annoying.

Hopefully Direct Play will be fixed in the NP version soon.

Just got the update on my FTV - had to uninstall and reinstall to get it for some reason.

I see that VLC is still in the Fire TV version of the app, which means all of my DD content Direct Plays quite happily, whereas the same content on the NP has to transcode, even when both devices are connected to the same dumb TV.

This is a strange situation!

I know you've mentioned the reasons for the NP version now having to transcode Eric, but having a mismatch like this is really annoying.

Hopefully Direct Play will be fixed in the NP version soon.

The transcoding that is happening for that should be pretty lightweight.

Hey ebr,

on a Sony Android TV the option "Transcode items with Dolby Digital Audio" may confuse some users, because if its turned on, every item will play in Stereo. Thats because the Sony TVs cant handle PCM-Multichannel, but they can handle Dolby Digital. Are there any news  for us Sony guys, who need to transcode DTS 5.1 to AC-3 5.1?

Edited by mmb

kefler

The audio issue I posted in a different thread and was since .55.  

For .58, I believe,  the main issue I have now is: 

If I skip forward or jump back while watching a show,  it works.  But, the time resets to 0.  A subsequent skip will then go to the absolute time based off 0.  For example:

* Start show, watch 10:22 of it

* Hit skip backwards

* Show jumps back 30 seconds (i.e. 9:52)

* But progress bar now shows 0:00

* Show properly jumps back 

* Now, do another skip forward or back 

* Show will jump to the wrong time (like 0:05 +/- 30 seconds).  

The audio issue I posted in a different thread and was since .55.  

For .58, I believe,  the main issue I have now is: 

If I skip forward or jump back while watching a show,  it works.  But, the time resets to 0.  A subsequent skip will then go to the absolute time based off 0.  For example:

* Start show, watch 10:22 of it

* Hit skip backwards

* Show jumps back 30 seconds (i.e. 9:52)

* But progress bar now shows 0:00

* Show properly jumps back 

* Now, do another skip forward or back 

* Show will jump to the wrong time (like 0:05 +/- 30 seconds).  

On what platform, playing with what kind of content, direct streaming or transcoding...?

MrWebsmith

ebr,

on .58 i tested 2 devices this weekend.. 

1- shield >>> avr    all great.. direct playing.. bitstreaming i saw DD and DTS at times.. depending on source.. no issues at all

2-sony atv (built in).. internal to its own tv speakers...   always had audio.. no real issues.. obvs not bitstreaming...  audio is set to compat and i was OK on everything i played here as well

• Like 1

Pirlo1966

.58 tested yesterday on a shield console:

- direct play of movies which in previous version of android TV app were forced to transcode. That's great!

- subtitles no longer appear: default subtitle setting or when changing to other languages

Edited by ehgeahrev

- subtitles no longer appear: default subtitle setting or when changing to other languages

What kind of subtitles specifically?

I have not had any issues with the ones I've been able to test.

omeed321

I'm having an issue with a few x265 media files, they randomly stop at specific points in the movie, the only way to get it to play is to skip forward, even if I quit out of the movie and try to resume it at the same time, it refuses to play These same files played fine in the non-beta version

I was also curious as to why I am only able to get dts on my receiver for dts-hd files, although they still direct play. I am able to get my receiver to playback in dts-hd with other android tv apps so I was hoping it could be something that could be implemented in emby too.

Edited by omeed321