What happened!?

AmericanCrisis
Go to solution Solved by AmericanCrisis,

AmericanCrisis

I came home this evening and it appears that the Emby addon updated in Kodi on my Nexus player. Previously, everything worked like a charm. I was greeted by an astounding amount of prompts requesting me to enter in usernames, server name, etc. After following and filling in the prompts how I thought I was supposed to I got to a place where it prompted me to rebuild because I had selected to use the native player.

After the rebuild I selected to use the direct play and not the default addon.  It again asked me for a server name (this was after prompting me to use server 192.168.10 which is the server).  I entered in my server name (IP address) and it prompted me for network credentials (I assume this is my local user name and password and not connect??).  This didn't yield any importing of data.  I re-did it again with the default addon and it worked, however, when I go to playback it says (unable to direct play).  It shows though that it is direct playing on the server dashboard.  But... some movies are acting funny by playing very choppy (I'm wired ethernet BTW).  

What is going on with this new build.  I've never been prompted that it is unable to direct play... everything on my server end is se-up properly too.  I have UNC paths for the libraries (\\sever\Movies). What did I do wrong?  

Angelblue05

Are you sure it says it's direct playing and not direct streaming?

Sorry that you are having difficulties with the changes we made to network credentials. We moved them to passwords.xml instead of inserting them in the paths added to your kodi database. Did you need to enter network credentials prior to recent updates?

Upon entering your network credentials, you need to make sure you enter your server name as it is in your emby library paths. So if your server name is abc, you'd enter abc. If you are using the ip address in your paths, then you'd enter the ip address, as long as they are the same so Kodi can associate your credentials when playing your content. You can re-add them to make sure, then restart Kodi to be safe.

They are not your emby connect passwords. They are your samba share credentials, smb://user:pass@server/path/to

AmericanCrisis

Transformers Age of Extinction not playing at all... it says "Working" then goes into movie and buffering followed by 2 seconds of play and 1 minute of buffering.

AmericanCrisis

Are you sure it says it's direct playing and not direct streaming?

Sorry that you are having difficulties with the changes we made to network credentials. We moved them to passwords.xml instead of inserting them in the paths added to your kodi database. Did you need to enter network credentials prior to recent updates?

Upon entering your network credentials, you need to make sure you enter your server name as it is in your emby library paths. So if your server name is abc, you'd enter abc. If you are using the ip address in your paths, then you'd enter the ip address, as long as they are the same so Kodi can associate your credentials when playing your content. You can re-add them to make sure, then restart Kodi to be safe.

They are not your emby connect passwords. They are your samba share credentials, smb://user:pass@server/path/to

Oh wow these are big changes. 

I should select "Native player" and not "addon" right?

Ok... my UNC path is \\HTPC\\Movies so my server name is HTPC only?  My network credentials is what??? (smb://user:pass@server/path/to) I've never heard of that.... :/

Could my network credentials be the same as my windows login? My server is on a Windows machine.

Angelblue05

Native = direct paths, Addon = plugin paths. With having the credentials moved to passwords.xml it makes it more secure, and allows you to change them at any time, without having to re-import your library.\

Yes, they are your windows login credentials. Essentially, if you were to navigate to the share, kodi would need the username and password to access the files... This is nothing new (instead of being imported in the database, they are now added to passwords.xml)

AmericanCrisis

Ok so Native = direct paths is preferred? 

I just downloaded uploader. Let me do that first and post the log then I'll switch to Native player and not addon if that is what you recommend.

Vidman

Ok so Native = direct paths is preferred?

I just downloaded uploader. Let me do that first and post the log then I'll switch to Native player and not addon if that is what you recommend.

It depends on your requirements as to which is preferred, that is why it is a configurable option Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

AmericanCrisis

Ah man... Now I'm not able to duplicate the problem. Transformers is playing normally (or at least it seems normal).  I did however have to go into the audio settings while it was playing to switch it from TrueHD to DD (Nexus player).  But it worked... it only buffered a second before DD populated the AVR screen. 

Angelblue05

Direct stream is essentially emby feeding the file to Kodi as-is. Transcode is with modification. Direct play is when Kodi accesses the file directly.

In the network credentials, the server name would be HTPC then the windows credentials to access your samba share located on your server. A Kodi restart may help. You can always test by going to add-ons > install from zip > try and navigate to your share via SMB, does Kodi ask you for credentials at any point?

Angelblue05

You are direct streaming, go to the add-on settings > playback > disable play from http. And post a new log capturing playback, you can set the add-on log level to info rather than debug.

AmericanCrisis

But you never answered my question. Did you need network credentials in the add-on settings prior to this update?

I'm sorry... stepped away to tinker. No previously I didn't ever need to enter Network Credentials... but come to think of it I don't remember if it was direct streaming or not before (it definitely wasn't transcoding).

You are direct streaming, go to the add-on settings > playback > disable play from http. And post a new log capturing playback, you can set the add-on log level to info rather than debug.

I has already went through the process of enabling Native player before seeing this... Let me try out Native player and I'll get back to you in a few.

AmericanCrisis

For Native player do I need to configure "playback" like you mentioned for direct streaming? disable play from http?

Angelblue05

No, those settings have no effect on native playback. Native playback - you direct play everything. Kodi controls what happens at playback, if it's unable to load your files, it will tell you file not found. 

Via add-on playback, you can direct play/direct stream/transcode. 

Let me know.

Edited by Angelblue05

AmericanCrisis

Ok ugh... at the end of processing movies it said that my data base had changed and prompted me (again) to do a reset. 

After that and during processing movies it said something like "2 fast 2 furious... file path invalid" or something to that affect.  I then tried to play it once the sync was done and it said not found.

I'm doing a manual data base sync.  I'll see how that works.

Angelblue05

Nope. That won't help. 

Can you try the following: Go to add-ons > install from zip > navigate to your share via smb > go to your content, does Kodi ask you for credentials at any point? Let me know.

AmericanCrisis

Ok that didn't work... the repair sync finished and every movie now says file not found (but all the data is there).

AmericanCrisis

Nope. That won't help. 

Can you try the following: Go to add-ons > install from zip > navigate to your share via smb > go to your content, does Kodi ask you for credentials at any point? Let me know.

Yes it does (I see both my server and gaming computer there too).

Angelblue05

Yes it does (I see both my server and gaming computer there too).

Ok so when you enter the credentials, does Kodi access your content? If so, those are the same credentials to enter in the add-on settings... Try to restart Kodi after entering them, and see if you can now play your content.

Edited by Angelblue05

AmericanCrisis

Nope. That won't help. 

One strange thing is I had to navigate to: SMB://WORKGROUP/ to see both my HTPC and GamingDesktop computers.  But once I was in that folder the server was formatted: SMB://HTPC/