What happened!?

AmericanCrisis
Go to solution Solved by AmericanCrisis,

Angelblue05

Yes that's how it's supposed to be. That's what we add to passwords.xml:

to: smb://user:pass@htpc/

Then when Kodi looks at htpc, it should associate with the credentials. Try restarting Kod after entering the credentials.

Angelblue05

Is it correct that I check the box "play from HTTP instead of SMB" for the addon playback?

If you are using add-on playback, then this will force it to direct stream. If you are using native playback, then the setting has no effect on playback.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Honestly, it's really not a complicated process. My guess is that you were direct streaming the entire time and you haven't noticed. The add-on doesn't mess with credentials, it's been tested by many users, myself included and it works fine. Direct stream is the next best thing after direct play. Emby feeds the file to Kodi as is, bypassing any network issues. It is not transcoding.

In your case, since you confirmed you needed credentials to access htpc (by navigating to it, Kodi asked you for username and password to access your htpc), you need to enter them in the add-on settings so that Kodi can access your share and direct play your files. You can test with the add-on playback mode, change your credentials, make sure play from http is disabled then try to play something. If it direct plays, then you know you it's set up right. If you wish to use native playback afterwards, that's fine. But you have to make sure you can direct play first, otherwise you will get "File not found" from Kodi when using natve playback. Hope this helps. 

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

AmericanCrisis

Ok thanks for all your help tonight. I have it set up now to add-on playback (maybe the direct play wasn't working because I didn't restart after entering in network credentials).  In any event, I will try again at a later time.

The only problem I am having now is that some (not all) movies are very choppy strangely.  I just played the dark knight for a few minutes and everyone is moving in ultra slow motion.  This was also the case on the Emby for Android app... but not the case on my desktop (not server) playing back via chrome web browser.  

I'm done for tonight though... Way too late. 

:)

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Ok, no problem. We can pick this up tomorrow. Make sure you disable add-on debug, this maybe cause some lag due to the additional logging.

Never give up, never surrender! ;)

• Like 1

AmericanCrisis

Out of curiosity I tried to get access to SMB://HTPC/ (my server) by going to install from zip and I wasn't able to.  After entering my username and password it just kept sending me back to the username/password screen.  Perhaps I'm not entering in the right username.  I have tried my Microsoft email, my no-ip name (this is what I use for Windows remote desktop) and also the name under user accounts (which is just my first and last name).  I think this being unable to work is why the native player wasn't working for me. 

It seems it is an issue I'm having with my Windows server... any suggestions? 

• Like 1

Angelblue05

If you go directly to the content on your htpc, right click > properties > security tab, do you see a list of users that has access? you need to enter the username/pass of one of the user you see. It is a windows account that has access to your content shares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

AmericanCrisis

If you go directly to the content on your htpc, right click > properties > security tab, do you see a list of users that has access? you need to enter the username/pass of one of the user you see. It is a windows account that has access to your content shares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I went to \\HTPC\Movies (my movie folder for Emby) and then to properties > security > and saw that Authenticated Users, System, my name (followed by my email address in parentheses), Administrators (HTPC\Administrators) and Users (HTPC\Users) all have Full Control.  I did not see a place to enter in a password for any of the aforementioed users.  One thing that I did notice though was that the drive {Drivepool(F)} did not have my name (followed by email address) in the security tab.  So I added it... and I'll go to Kodi and try the SMB for the zip file thing.

Another note... I think I narrowed it down to all movies that are TrueHD coupled with a DD track are playing back in slow motion (audio is normal though).  DD is showing up on the screen.  But the movie is video is slow motion.  Other DTS-HD movies (like Martian) are ok.

The same occurs in the Emby for Android app.  However, if I lower the default bitrate from Auto to 40 and force a transcode then the movie plays fine.

Just a strange problem that isn't necessarily Kodi but I think once I figure out direct play that will solve this.... Actually I think an HTPC would solve this!  (I recently stripped my HTPC and put in a server rack case and made my HTPC which was the Emby server a dedicated server all together... hence the name of the server PC). 

• Like 1

AmericanCrisis

Ok I'm getting somewhere.  TrueHD isn't the deciding factor regarding which ones direct stream properly.  

Upon further inspection I discovered:

The Dark Knight is: VC-1 advanced L3 (found this when playing back directly from server via MPC-HC)

The Martian (similar size MKV file... that is why I am comparing) is: H264 high L4.1

It seems that direct stream isn't working for VC-1 advanced L3?  

These movies were ripped via makemkv.  I wonder if there is a way to alter the video codec during this process without causing the file to be re-encoded.  If not, I guess I could always run the file through Handbrake... If I do the later, and put both files in the same folder (make the new file MP4) will Emby grab the MP4 file instead of the MKV file so as to direct stream it?

Angelblue05

@

Once you figure out your paths/permissions and Kodi is able to direct play your content, I think it will solve your issues. It is quite possible some formats are causing issues for Emby when it's direct streaming and having Emby transcode the file to h264 ac3 helps.

For direct play, you will have to make sure the windows user account Kodi is using to access your content, has proper read permissions (verify both folders and files). You could always give read permission on your content to Everyone, just to see if Kodi can then access via install zip. Then go from there. What I personally did is create an additional windows user named Kodi, password Kodi. Gave read access to the folders I added as my Emby libraries. Then in Kodi, I added as credentials my servername, user: Kodi, pass: Kodi. You could also try that.

As for your last question, if you put both in the same folder, they will both appear individually in Emby I believe. I don't think there is "format stacking" support at this time.

• Like 1

AmericanCrisis

@

Once you figure out your paths/permissions and Kodi is able to direct play your content, I think it will solve your issues. It is quite possible some formats are causing issues for Emby when it's direct streaming and having Emby transcode the file to h264 ac3 helps.

For direct play, you will have to make sure the windows user account Kodi is using to access your content, has proper read permissions (verify both folders and files). You could always give read permission on your content to Everyone, just to see if Kodi can then access via install zip. Then go from there. What I personally did is create an additional windows user named Kodi, password Kodi. Gave read access to the folders I added as my Emby libraries. Then in Kodi, I added as credentials my servername, user: Kodi, pass: Kodi. You could also try that.

As for your last question, if you put both in the same folder, they will both appear individually in Emby I believe. I don't think there is "format stacking" support at this time.

Thanks again for your help and response.  I will definitely try making another username and go from there.  I read on the Kodi forums that with smb access problems people tried what you suggested, however, it was mostly with Win 7 servers (mine is 10). 

I did stumble across a Kodi thread where people are having VC-1 playback issues with Kodi on standalone players.  I bet that is why those VC-1 movies aren't playing unless transcoded to H264 by Emby.  I wonder if there is a way to fix this with the Nexus player... I bet there is I just need to do the research to figure it out.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Vidman

I believe you just need to follow the movie naming wiki to have multiple versions of the same movie in one folder and emby will choose the most suitable version to stream

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

AmericanCrisis

Hmm... I tried that just now and I really like it. It totally shows up as one in the UI and then it picked the proper file for direct stream (in the Android app for Nexus Player... I manually set the bitrate to 21Mbps).  

• Like 1

AmericanCrisis

Thanks! :)

Let me know what you find.

I have some time to tinker today. I stumbled across this Kodi Wiki... do you have Windows setup to use a Homegroup?  I guess I have always read to avoid a Homegroup... could this be why I cannot connect to my SMB server? 

• Solution
AmericanCrisis

Ok I fixed this... here's is how I "think" I fixed it.

First, I changed "password protected sharing" off per the previous Kodi Wiki guide I posted (last post) and then I went to to "install from Zip" on the Nexus player/kodi app.  Sure enough... I was able to get into my server's folders without entering a password or username.  After re-configuring the Emby add-on though, I wasn't able to gain access without entering a username and password... which brings me to the next part of my troubleshooting.

I was very confused what my username was with Windows 10.  My login/lock screen shows my first and last name followed by my email address.  What I discovered, was under "user profiles" (system/computer name, domain, and workgroup [change settings]/Advanced tab/User Profiles (settings...) - was my computer name followed by just my first name.  This is what worked in the end for Direct Play.

Anyhow, all is well and now I'm Direct Playing! 

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Ok I fixed this... here's is how I "think" I fixed it.

First, I changed "password protected sharing" off per the previous Kodi Wiki guide I posted (last post) and then I went to to "install from Zip" on the Nexus player/kodi app.  Sure enough... I was able to get into my server's folders without entering a password or username.  After re-configuring the Emby add-on though, I wasn't able to gain access without entering a username and password... which brings me to the next part of my troubleshooting.

I was very confused what my username was with Windows 10.  My login/lock screen shows my first and last name followed by my email address.  What I discovered, was under "user profiles" (system/computer name, domain, and workgroup [change settings]/Advanced tab/User Profiles (settings...) - was my computer name followed by just my first name.  This is what worked in the end for Direct Play.

Anyhow, all is well and now I'm Direct Playing! 

I am glad you managed to resolve this in the end. Great job and thanks for sharing the steps that worked for you. :)

• Like 1