Nvidia shield TV Android 6 update out

Airz5

Have you scoured that TV to see if it has any options related to DD?

I have a NP hooked to a five-year old Magnavox I got for free when I bought a couch and it properly downmixes DD and plays audio.

CBers

No, it only has built-in speakers - it's about 10 years old.

Nothing so sophisticated as down-mixing :)

rarefc3s

Still no audio if track contains Dolby on latest version (1.1.55) on both Nexus Player and Shield.

Audio OK if not Dolby.

You have a Sonos Playbar? You've connected your devices to your TV with HDMI and then use the TV's optical out to the Playbar? You say the TV is passing the sound fine because it worked before but now it does not? Other users with actual AVRs say it is working and they don't route the audio first in the TV. Sounds like the TV or Playbar don't like something that is going on. I'd think that if you got a switch, bypassing your TV, then it would work based on others saying it does.

See: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5557

I'm on 1.1.55g on my Shield which is hooked to a Vizio TV via HDMI, then the TV optical out to a Vizio sound bar. I'm pretty sure I had audio last night but will double check tonight.

Edited by rarefc3s

CBers

You have a Sonos Playbar? You've connected your devices to your TV with HDMI and then use the TV's optical out to the Playbar? You say the TV is passing the sound fine because it worked before but now it does not? Other users with actual AVRs say it is working and they don't route the audio first in the TV. Sounds like the TV or Playbar don't like something that is going on. I'd think that if you got a switch, bypassing your TV, then it would work based on others saying it does.

See: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5557

You're missing the point.

It doesn't work when it is connected only to a TV via HDMI, since VLC has been removed.

Ignore the Sonos PlayBar, it's currently irrelevant.

No sound on Shield or Nexus Player is audio is Dolby.

rarefc3s

Yes, I read more threads about the same issue and see that the recommendation is to un-check use VLC player. I have my Shield connected directly to my TV via HDMI and then the TV to a sound bar via optical cable. That is what was throwing me off, because I get sound out of mine when I play a movie via cast. I have not tried the Emby app installed on the Shield to play a movie. My sound bar is very generic, 2.1, so I doubt it supports any real Dolby formats which is the problem at hand. Per the specs: Audio Decoding Technology: Dolby Digital®

rarefc3s

I just played a movie via the app on my Shield, the movie has DTS, and when I first played it I had zero sound. I went in to the app and changed the audio mode to compatible and now sound plays for this movie.

The audio:

Languageeng
CodecDCA
Codec tagdtsc
ProfileDTS
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate1500 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
Bit depth24 bit
DefaultYes

crystalgipsy

Now that MM is here are we likely to get refresh rate switching in Emby app, Archos app has it and it would be great to have this in Emby. I still mainly use Kodi with the emby addon due to the lack of this so I don't have to deal with pull down but would really want to switch to using native app as its nice and easy to use. 

• Like 2

Kramerika

Now that MM is here are we likely to get refresh rate switching in Emby app

Seconded!

• 8 months later...

Hi @@Airz5

@@Heuer

The latest beta version of the Emby app offers improved playback, refresh rate switching, and all the HD Audio pass-through you need. Check out the beta thread for more details:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42239-android-tv-beta-13x/

We think you'll enjoy the next update to the stable channel. Thanks !