Nvidia shield TV Android 6 update out

Airz5

A while ago it was identified that android 5.1.1 had issues with playback of AC3 encoded audio so a work around was implemented in the Emby client to essentially convert everything to 2 channel audio. Now Android 6 has been released on the shield TV is there any chance of an update to enable multi channel output again using the Emby client?

Actually, 5.1.1 worked fine, the problem was with 5.1 or less.

Once your Shield updates, it should just start sending AC3 again - as long as you didn't set your audio to "Compatible" in the settings.

That was weird as I had direct audio enabled. I had to restart my audio receiver and then it picked up the DTS signal rather than thinking it was stereo. Must have been some weird HDMI handshake issues or something. Well all good now thanks for you help  :)

fantaxp7

Actually, 5.1.1 worked fine, the problem was with 5.1 or less.

Once your Shield updates, it should just start sending AC3 again - as long as you didn't set your audio to "Compatible" in the settings.

Sorry but when you say AC3 are you referring to all surround codecs? 

fantaxp7

Still not getting DD pass-through on my Shield to my Sonos after the MM update.

Damn! I was dying to get home from work to test this  :P

fantaxp7

Do you have a Sonos then?

Ahh I think I read what you wrote originally incorrect. 

Do you have one of those Sonos surround sound setups? Don't those only support a limited amount of surround formats like dolby digital and not dts or something? 

CBers

Ahh I think I read what you wrote originally incorrect.

Do you have one of those Sonos surround sound setups? Don't those only support a limited amount of surround formats like dolby digital and not dts or something?

DD yes, DTS no.

Never had DD pass-through in Emby for Android TV app, although I get it in Kodi and the Emby for Samsung Smart TV app, as well as from the Xbox.

Limitation of VLC.

• Like 1

fantaxp7

DD yes, DTS no.

Never had DD pass-through in Emby for Android TV app, although I get it in Kodi and the Emby for Samsung Smart TV app, as well as from the Xbox.

Limitation of VLC.

Gotcha, so your testing will likely be similar to mine. I had similar results with my receiver. I will test right away when I get home. Currently using kodi on the shield as I have this issue and a live tv issue with emby app. 

fantaxp7

Ok so I updated, I get PCM multichannel and the sports channel, comcast sportsnet, is worst than it was previous. The slight judder is still there and now there is some severe audio delay.

• Like 1

Sorry but when you say AC3 are you referring to all surround codecs? 

No.  AC3 = Dolby Digital.

DTS and AAC surround formats should have already been working fine - as long as your other equipment supports it.

fantaxp7

No.  AC3 = Dolby Digital.

DTS and AAC surround formats should have already been working fine - as long as your other equipment supports it.

Strange that I don't get either DTS or AAC on my receiver. 

Does it show as PCM multi I remember awhile back you told me that was it, though we were discussing the nexus player at the time...

CBers

Does it show as PCM multi I remember awhile back you told me that was it, though we were discussing the nexus player at the time...

My Samsung TV is a media hub, so you plug devices into the HDMIs and it output the audio.

When Kodi is running on my Nexus Player or Shield, it sees DD and passes it as such to my Sonos, but the TV only sees PCM coming from the Emby app.

I can also see what the Sonos is receiving from the Sonos app, which is DD from Kodi, but only stereo from Emby.

Both of those codecs will show as muti-channel PCM on your receiver.  You should see all the 5 channel lights lit up and be getting full surround sound.

CBer's issue appears to be unique to his particular setup (a TV and Sonos soundbar with the connections going through the TV) and I haven't seen anyone else with that exact same issue yet.  He also has the soundbar hooked up via optical cable, I believe so it cannot receive multi-channel PCM.

• Like 1

CBers

I believe so it cannot receive multi-channel PCM.

From Sonos Support:

Dolby Digital - If your TV delivers a Dolby Digital format to the PLAYBAR, the PLAYBAR will decode and utilize up to 6 discrete sound channels (5 channels for center, right front, left front, right rear, and left rear, and 1 discrete Low-Frequency Effects (LFE) or subwoofer channel) available through the Dolby Digital format. 

Stereo/PCM - If your TV delivers a Stereo/PCM format to the PLAYBAR, the PLAYBAR will decode the  Stereo/PCM format into a left front and right front channels directly from the 2 channel Stereo provided and will decode a matrixed center, right rear, left rear, and subwoofer channel from the audio signal. 

The Samsung TV gets/gives PCM when using the Emby app, whereas it gets/gives DD when running Kodi (on Nexus Player and Shield) or the Emby for Samsung Smart TV app on the TV itself.

I also get DD on the Sonos PlayBar from the Xbox One which is connected to to the TV via HDMI.

Right, that's STEREO PCM.  Multi-channel PCM is greater than stereo (5.1, 7.1, etc.).

I know technically stereo would be multiple channels but that's just what its called.

So the embedded VLC player still doesn't bitstream the lossless formats after this update?

Not sure what you mean as the previous post confirmed DD bitstreaming.  DTS is decoded locally and sent to the receiver as LPCM which will be identical to having bitstreamed it.

Lossless = trueHD/ DTS: MA

Okay, but those are not lossless.  LPCM is lossless.  Those are both still compressed formats.