Nvidia shield TV Android 6 update out

Airz5

My receiver displays 'Multi Channel' when playing a DTS source via Emby on the Shield TV. "Multi Channel" = LPCM on the Denon.

My receiver displays 'Multi Channel' when playing a DTS source via Emby on the Shield TV. "Multi Channel" = LPCM on the Denon.

Correct because DTS is being decoded in the player and then sent as raw audio to the receiver.

CBers

Correct because DTS is being decoded in the player and then sent as raw audio to the receiver.

Whereas, we don't want the device to decode it.

Job opportunities aside, is there any evidence to suggest the receiver is any better at decoding DTS than the player? I know the type of DAC can make a difference in a high end system but your receiver still handles that.

bret1958

Plex = dts-ma .... full pass-through on the shield without fussing meaning plex + shield = HTPC

Wish it was Emby

there must be reasons, licenses agreements or such

it will never happen with emby from what i was told. The mouse was pretty sure.

CBers

Plex = dts-ma .... full pass-through on the shield without fussing meaning plex + shield = HTPC

What player do Plex use, or is it their own in-house written one like Kodi have done?

Wish it was Emby

there must be reasons, licenses agreements or such

it will never happen with emby from what i was told. The mouse was pretty sure.

That's not correct. There isn't anything that will never happen.

• Like 1

bret1958

What player do Plex use, or is it their own in-house written one like Kodi have done?

I do not know, Kodi can't do it fully either

I'm planning on replacing my fire sticks with Intel nucs and throw Emby Theater on them, fixing the issue with them also.

I have no love for Plex but have to use it the on the Shield and Vizio TV.

Edited by bret1958

pclausen

I understand that dts-ma and truehd can be decoded into LPCM by the shield and passed to the receiver and that the experience will be exactly the same, but what about going past 7.1 channels?  (atmos and dts-x).

I have a 13.2 setup in my main theater and am still using a HTPC there since it can bitstream the new lossless formats with height information.

I think it would be great if devices such as the Shield can eventually bitstream the audio as well.  I'll likely still keep a HTPC in my theater for a "no compromise experience", but it would be nice to have the option of using an "appliance" there one day.

Just curious where the limitation preventing this from happening lies as I was hoping the latest update from nvidia might have been the final hurdle, but I suppose that isn't the case?

Thanks

Edited by pclausen

Redshirt

I understand that dts-ma and truehd can be decoded into LPCM by the shield and passed to the receiver and that the experience will be exactly the same, but what about going past 7.1 channels?  (atmos and dts-x).

I have a 13.2 setup in my main theater and am still using a HTPC there since it can bitstream the new lossless formats with height information.

I think it would be great if devices such as the Shield can eventually bitstream the audio as well.  I'll likely still keep a HTPC in my theater for a "no compromise experience", but it would be nice to have the option of using an "appliance" there one day.

Just curious where the limitation preventing this from happening lies as I was hoping the latest update from nvidia might have been the final hurdle, but I suppose that isn't the case?

Thanks

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/31648-tiamat-new-android-living-room-client/?p=304047

Just FYI - PCM is not a downgrade.  It is pure, unadultered digital audio.  In fact, if you want true lossless audio it will be in LPCM.  Some of the very early HD discs contained LPCM tracks for true lossless audio. But, they took up a huge amount of space and virtually no one had equipment that could take advantage of the difference between it and the new HD compression formats. 

The real answer to that question is the marketplace.

Given enough time and expertise, workarounds are found but the platforms themselves are just not putting many resources into this stuff because it isn't where the market is.

Now, we still want to be there, but that just makes it harder for us.

Okay, but those are not lossless.  LPCM is lossless.  Those are both still compressed formats.

DTS-MA and TrueHD are compressed but lossless, just like FLAC.

DTS-MA and TrueHD are compressed but lossless, just like FLAC.

Yes, good point but PCM is obviously lossless as well even though most people have some sort of feeling that it is a "downgrade" of some sort.

Redshirt

Yes, good point but PCM is obviously lossless as well even though most people have some sort of feeling that it is a "downgrade" of some sort.

Ok, maybe downgrade was a poor choice of words on my part :D Even though it's uncompressed and lossless, it still feels like losing a fight when my receiver says pcm. I don't know if there is any measurable difference but I prefer to have an audio receiver decode my dolby audio than my android devices.   

• Like 2

If any of you Shield guys are willing to get back in the beta program, I think you might be happy and I'd really appreciate the help testing.  Thanks.

MrWebsmith

ebr,

i recently moved the shieldtv down to the avr so i could experiment with what surround formats were playing or not...

what do you need tested in .54?

shield>>>AVR>>>TV

shield>>>AVR>>>TV

That's perfect.

All playback will need testing.  Thanks.

Heuer

For testing it may be worth using files from this library so there is consistency and ebr can validate problems: http://www.demo-world.eu/2d-demo-trailers-hd/

Incidentally Netflix 5.1 sound requires EAC3 (DD+) pass-through which SHIELD supports. However many TVs don’t support EAC3 pass-through (only AC3). EAC3 is not supported through Optical (SPDIF/TOSLINK) connections, it requires HDMI.

CBers

Still no audio if track contains Dolby on latest version (1.1.55) on both Nexus Player and Shield.

Audio OK if not Dolby.

Still no audio if track contains Dolby on latest version (1.1.55) on both Nexus Player and Shield.

Audio OK if not Dolby.

Just for everyone reading - that should only be if your device is hooked up to something that cannot handle an AC3 stream.

CBers

Just for everyone reading - that should only be if your device is hooked up to something that cannot handle an AC3 stream.

Like a dumb TV.

Was working before VLC was removed :)