Adjust subtitle delay

alex3137

10 hours ago, Luke said:

This will be in Emby Server 4.5. You'll be able to use the controls in the video player to adjust the subtitle offset.

Luke Skywalker FTW!

Malmgren
12 hours ago, Luke said:

This will be in Emby Server 4.5. You'll be able to use the controls in the video player to adjust the subtitle offset.

Great news! The one feature that makes my kids question daily why we had to change from using Kodi...

Just one question: I guess this will need both the server and the client to be updated? Will there be updates released for all clients in conjunction with the server release?

The web app will support it with the server update. Individual app updates will come out as soon as possible after that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

dallinlmag
1 hour ago, Luke said:

The web app will support it with the server update. Individual app updates will come out as soon as possible after that.

This is great news! Thank you for this feature. I will use it almost every day.

PenkethBoy

i'm curious - why all of you posting did not use Subtitle Edit to adjust your delays permanently and would work in any other program?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PenkethBoy said:

i'm curious - why all of you posting did not use Subtitle Edit to adjust your delays permanently and would work in any other program?

Good question! The answer is: because I'm not using every subtitle myself... I'm download English, Dutch, German, French, Polish, Romanian and Spanish. Personally I only use English, Dutch and Spanish... the others are used by my users. It would be a LOT easier if my users can set the delay instead of me having to do this manually for every subtitle file that needs it...

Edited by Dibbes

Malmgren
9 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

So we have a subtitle downloader that downloads every subtitle for us, and you're suggesting that after all that has happened automatically, we're supposed to open each and every subtitle file manually, check the sync and then edit them manually if they're not? Kinda makes the automatic downloading completely meaningless...

1 hour ago, PenkethBoy said:

You just confirmed my suspicion that its too much work for some people

You are one annoying person.

Google the word automation and buy yourself a bluray player.

PenkethBoy

Joggs

maybe you are just over sensitive and claiming offense from a simple question and statement.?

i asked a question got what i thought was the reason from a couple of answers

its too much work for some - various reasons - Dibbles was the best answer by the way - took it in the spirit it was meant - which you did not.

now you have also confirmed what i was curious about - thanks for that - very informative and well thought out answer.

I have the right to be as "annoying" as i want - if you dont like the question you dont have to answer or lower the tone

Go and enjoy yourself a bit might improve you mood.

48 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

Joggs

maybe you are just over sensitive and claiming offense from a simple question and statement.?

i asked a question got what i thought was the reason from a couple of answers

its too much work for some - various reasons - Dibbles was the best answer by the way - took it in the spirit it was meant - which you did not.

now you have also confirmed what i was curious about - thanks for that - very informative and well thought out answer.

I have the right to be as "annoying" as i want - if you dont like the question you dont have to answer or lower the tone

Go and enjoy yourself a bit might improve you mood.

The only way my mood will improve is if I find a way  to filter out your annoying messages. Automatically, not manually as that is too much work for some people.

2 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

well i guess you are one of the lazy people good luck i could help but that not automatic

Damn. Troll-filter is not working.

Well, it is obvious that your utterly stupid narrow minded comment regarding manually adjusting subtitles instead of an automatic way handling it only was a way to provoke.

5 pages of +1's and you think you are smarter than us all.. Wow...

PenkethBoy

Now you are making things up to suit your view

i asked a reasonable question

Made a statement on the responses i had at the time - which was factual and not inflammatory 

You then jumped in with an attitude which you still have - taking offense at a statement of fact - at no point did i imply others were stupid etc.

You infered that somehow from my 2 posts

Although i am beginning to wonder about yourself but will give you the benefit of the doubt for now.

if you want to call me names go ahead if it lowers your blood pressure - not going to make any difference to me.

Oh and anybody can post in these forums their opinion at anytime as long as its kept clean and resonible - something you have failed at in your last couple of posts - "shouting and stamping your feet" does not give you the right to try and shut somebody else up because you dont like what they have posted - this is not twitter or its ilk.

Happy Posting and Subtitle adjustment - automated is the only way to go apparently.

• Like 1

David Patt

And thats we cant have nice things. If subtitles are not synced i will be glad when i have tool to quickly adjust them. Because there some movies or tv series i know i will watch only once. Then delete them. In good movies i can watch again and again , then yes i will want permanently adjust subtitles so next i can watch it without hitch but for some oneshot views it is better to adjust them quickly. And some tv series need adjusting more because of commercials or other delays.

miniliQuid
On 27/03/2020 at 15:39, Craftsyl said:

Yes I agree with that, though i'm not entirely sure that votes or likes should be the deciding metric. It should factor in, but the purpose and the value that the feature itself brings should be accounted for.

Also note that, as you said, there is an high probability that this feature is of use to a large set of current users and probably these users either are unaware of this forum or this mechanism to vote for features, or are not willing to make the effort to vote. These users should be accounted for. 

But yes, I agree that prioritising features based on available resources and importance is a hard thing to achieve and it is hard to please everyone. 

Well your last sentence says it all haha, it's hard or even impossible to do it in a way everyone will be happy. On top of that, your second sentence is probably true, but we will never know. It's basically saying you would pick a certain group/party to lead your land (in a democracy) because you think most people would like to see them lead, but they don't know when it's time to vote, or just can't be bothered to come vote, so they don't but we still have to take in account their votes/feelings. That's simply impossible since it will become guess work for many features.

On 14/09/2020 at 06:44, Luke said:

Haven't been on here for quite some time, and to see this as in the first topic I check is just awesome news :D great job! Looking forward to the version release.

17 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

I did this, and still sometimes do it. But when your library grows exponentially, it gets pretty annoying at some point. I have done this for years when needed. However personally I do not need subs and feel like it's a waste of time as I do not need them. But some of my family members do need/want them for anything they request. At first that still wasn't a problem but these days more family members join in, and therefor there is quite a growth in requests.

So at some point I decided to start automating some things, which expanded (getting emby to more easily cater to wishes of my family). With emby it downloads subtitles automatically which was already quite some work covered honestly. Then the manual download for subs became available which was also awesome, since my family members can now pick a new subtitle if they don't like the one that's there or if it doesn't match. However if there is a change for off set, that's perfect cause there is no way I would ever have to worry about subs anymore. I generally don't use them, and at that point my family members can take care of it themselves.

Subtitle edit unfortunately only gets you so far since you have to do everything yourself ;)

4 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

Basically yeah, but doesn't that make sense when you aren't doing it for yourself but for your users? I mean I love it when my family is greatful, but I'd rather have my time back, I'm an egoistic bastard like that ;):D  Emby solves like a ton of work for me with all the features they add, saving me the time that I would have to use to make my family happy.

• Like 2

FredMuppeteer

I think it makes much more sense to adjust subs on the fly rather than pre-check that every episode of every series stays in sync all the way through before I watch it - I'm not really a fan of spoilers! 

seanbuff

@Luke the subtitle offset feature in 4.5.0.27 works quite well in my limited testing. Great work, thank you.

Will there be the possibility of 'saving' the offset for that media, so that other users do not have to adjust it in future?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

@Luke the subtitle offset feature in 4.5.0.27 works quite well in my limited testing. Great work, thank you.

Will there be the possibility of 'saving' the offset for that media, so that other users do not have to adjust it in future?

Yes It's possible for the future. Thanks.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2020 at 11:16 AM, PenkethBoy said:

Yes, pretty much... it is for me at least :)

• Like 1

Malmgren

I've upgraded to 4.5 now and tried this, seems to work. My first question though is if there are any hotkeys to control this? Kinda cumbersome going into the menu every time.

On 9/19/2020 at 2:14 PM, Luke said:

No, sorry. Details?

Well, the thing is that if you use Emby's zoom the subtitles go off the screen, I think the position should be "fixed position" to avoid this. Still happens on Android APP's
Anyway, I think that zoom is something that should be worked on and that allows it to be done little by little, because the zoom offers in Emby are extreme. If you test 13% zoom is many times enough.... Anyway it should work the same for 16: 9 and 4: 3 too.

Thank you