+1

#62 Karl Blixt OFFLINE  

Karl Blixt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Local time: 02:31 AM

Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:06 PM

This was a good idea in 2016 and it still is in 2020. What happened to it? Could we have an update? Is it no longer on the road map for some technical reason or have it been such a low priority that we haven't heard more about it for 3+ years.

As a nonnative English speaker, with a lot of users that use subtitles this is one of those killer features that simplifies fixing subtitles a lot.
  • panvar likes this

#63 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 153382 posts
  • Local time: 08:31 PM

Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:25 PM

It will be coming in future updates. Thanks for the feedback.

#64 markle88 OFFLINE  

markle88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • Local time: 12:31 AM

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:00 AM

+1

#65 Malmgren OFFLINE  

Malmgren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:57 AM

It will be coming in future updates. Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry to be nagging, but are there any concrete plans? As opposed to most of the feature requests here that would be (well, most of them) nice to have, this one is really crucial.

It's really hard to find synced subtitles for the content we're viewing and every time we have to turn off the subtitles because they're well out of sync I tell my family that I promise that we'll soon be able to use those out-of-sync subtitles...

• Dibbes, miniliQuid and panvar like this

#66 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 153382 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 12:03 PM

I don't have an ETA, sorry.

#67 GreenTuxer OFFLINE  

GreenTuxer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 01:31 AM
  • LocationLisboa, Portugal

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:50 AM

This will be a very welcomed feature. Thank you very much.

#68 chjohans OFFLINE  

chjohans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 361 posts
  • Local time: 08:31 AM

Posted 24 March 2020 - 05:58 AM

+1 - this is a much needed feature. Kodi has "always" had this for obvious reasons.

#69 miniliQuid OFFLINE  

miniliQuid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 24 March 2020 - 12:02 PM

Sorry to be nagging, but are there any concrete plans? As opposed to most of the feature requests here that would be (well, most of them) nice to have, this one is really crucial.

It's really hard to find synced subtitles for the content we're viewing and every time we have to turn off the subtitles because they're well out of sync I tell my family that I promise that we'll soon be able to use those out-of-sync subtitles...

Agree with this, but everything considered I have seen plenty requests with the star logo on the right side of the first post saying "popular" and having near to 100 likes or so :(

We really need to have more votes here :D

• rechigo likes this

#70 panvar OFFLINE  

panvar

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:01 PM

Already in Plex! Best regards/Panos

5e7b803e2135f_Capture.png

• Craftsyl likes this

#71 Gohlas OFFLINE  

Gohlas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:09 PM

I my opinion this feature is a must in any player, but this topic was created in January 2016.

So 4 years has passed and nothing, this also doesn't seems to be important for many people neither as there are only 40 likes.

I believe it is not a priority for developers.

#72 rechigo ONLINE  

rechigo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 568 posts
  • Local time: 05:31 PM
  • LocationCALIFORNIA

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:34 PM

Why does Emby have to correct for improper subtitle timing? Sure it would a nice feature to have, but what kind of crap are you trying to play that your subtitles aren't synced property with the video time code? Sounds like the devs will be wasting time on a feature to support people who pirate their content (ie poorly ripped content). 

When I do rip media, it only contains image based subtitles (DVDSUB/PGS) and I'm sure as hell not going to allow those codecs in my library, so I simply exclude them when I remux or re-encode my rips so Emby can pull text based subtitles which aren't always going to be synced perfectly

#73 Craftsyl OFFLINE  

Craftsyl

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:07 AM

Hmm, I'm starting to wonder if the reason for the low priority of this feature is not due to low interest from the users nor lack of resources, but a possible association of this feature with reproducing pirated content using emby. Is this possible @Luke ?

#74 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 153382 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:05 AM

It's just something we haven't gotten to yet.

#75 coldviber OFFLINE  

coldviber

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:37 AM

+1

#76 miniliQuid OFFLINE  

miniliQuid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:21 AM

Hmm, I'm starting to wonder if the reason for the low priority of this feature is not due to low interest from the users nor lack of resources, but a possible association of this feature with reproducing pirated content using emby. Is this possible @Luke ?

Though pirated content is definitely the biggest use group, it's not the only one. Besides, in that case they simply state that pirating is not something they agree with (you can see this when people suggest scraping things in other topics etc.) rather than replying like this:

Yes good idea.

Yes I agree that subtitle delay is a setting that we should have in our apps.

It is something we'd like to add in a future update. thanks !

I don't have an ETA, sorry.

I mean, there are so many requests, so many good features, that it simply boils down to how many votes does it get, and how easily can it be implemented.

This has been mentioned often in other topics.

Hardly fair to skip the requests with 100 votes, for something with 40 votes, unless the implementation would require a LOT less effort.

Basically, you only have so many resources, so where to use them first? :D

#77 Craftsyl OFFLINE  

Craftsyl

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:39 AM

Yes I agree with that, though i'm not entirely sure that votes or likes should be the deciding metric. It should factor in, but the purpose and the value that the feature itself brings should be accounted for.

Also note that, as you said, there is an high probability that this feature is of use to a large set of current users and probably these users either are unaware of this forum or this mechanism to vote for features, or are not willing to make the effort to vote. These users should be accounted for. 

But yes, I agree that prioritising features based on available resources and importance is a hard thing to achieve and it is hard to please everyone. 

#78 dallinlmag OFFLINE  

dallinlmag

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 05:31 PM

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:39 PM

I feel like this and a few other features would be prime candidates for community involvement in the development.

I have been thinking about how I could add a plugin for this subtitle issue and the skip intro feature to use personally and then publish for others. I then read that there is no way to modify the playback UI, so unless I am wrong, I will now have to resort to other methods of changing the srt file to modify the subs.

Maybe this is more of a topic for the developer API forum, but it seems like there are enough resources to at least get the ball rolling as long as we are able, and then the changes can stay as plugins or be pulled into the main product. 

• joggs likes this

#79 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 153382 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 01:23 PM

I feel like this and a few other features would be prime candidates for community involvement in the development.

I have been thinking about how I could add a plugin for this subtitle issue and the skip intro feature to use personally and then publish for others. I then read that there is no way to modify the playback UI, so unless I am wrong, I will now have to resort to other methods of changing the srt file to modify the subs.

Maybe this is more of a topic for the developer API forum, but it seems like there are enough resources to at least get the ball rolling as long as we are able, and then the changes can stay as plugins or be pulled into the main product. 

HI, I welcome the participation and I can certainly help you get setup in the other areas that you had in mind, but this particular feature is something that I anticipate will be very much embedded into the core of the applications and not something a plugin can handle.

#80 joggs OFFLINE  

joggs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 01:54 PM

HI, I welcome the participation and I can certainly help you get setup in the other areas that you had in mind, but this particular feature is something that I anticipate will be very much embedded into the core of the applications and not something a plugin can handle.

Just let him do a plugin and merge it later. It is obvious this will not be done in a while in the core.

Skickat från min HD1903 via Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users