Is there a way to get Emby to apply TV metadata to an mpeg file?

Sam865

I have been using the built-in Emby DVR feature with mixed results and am currently evaluating the HDHomerun DVR as a backup/alternative method for recording live TV. (To digress briefly, here's my reason for exploring an alternative — Built-in Emby DVR usually works with my HDHomerun Prime, but when I'm recording more than one program at a time, or if I'm just browsing Emby media content, the recordings frequently fail or hang in the active recording state.) The early access HDHomerun DVR software currently uses an add-in for Kodi as its recording user interface, and I really don't like the way it works. However, the recording feature is rock solid and I haven't had a failed recording yet.

Here's the problem: I want to store the HDHomerun DVR recorded files in a folder that will allow them to be played back by an Emby client (specifically Roku). If I create a sub-folder in the Recorded TV section, Emby apparently does not support playback of the file because it is not in the expected .ts container format, and it does not attempt to download metadata for the file. (The HDHomerun DVR format is plain old MPEG.) I got around this problem by storing the MPEG-formatted files in the Emby Movies section in a sub-folder called _HDHomerun DVR. This allows me to play the recordings on Roku, However, because Emby thinks the recorded MPEG files are movies, it either attaches the wrong metadata or no metadata at all. It uses movie databases rather that tv databases to search for information.

So, to summarize this long post — Is there a way to get Emby to automatically apply TV metadata to an mpeg file?