Option to also ignore normal brackets...

Guest topbanana

Guest topbanana

Renaming is always possible....  But we're asking almost every new user to rename stuff for no good reason in this specific case.

In essence, all we would like is that emby identifies all the tv shows and movies we throw at it (using whatever algorithms needed).  That would be awesome.

And in this case, if it could deal with the very common, standard English use of brackets, used a lot in filename generally (especially by many of our new users), then that would be awesome too.

Strict, rigid pieces of software are not as awesome as intelligent, flexible pieces of software.  Hence software is often continually developed and improved.

Guest topbanana

Where normal brackets are mostly commonly used in my movie filenames is for foreign movies.

Here's a Rotten Tomatoes listing using brackets in the same, natural way i do, so that both the English and original title are included.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/top_100_art_house__international_movies/

(Top 100 Art House & International Movies)

Edit:
Actually, just look at how RT names all of it's movies.  All have brackets where needed.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/

Edited by topbanana

anderbytes

I noticed recently that lots of media I find comes with year around NO BRACKETS of any kind.

Maybe that's the most compatible error-free way to keep it?

I noticed recently that lots of media I find comes with year around NO BRACKETS of any kind.

Maybe that's the most compatible error-free way to keep it?

No, that's definitely not the case as there is no way to tell if it is a production year or a part of the actual title of the film.

anderbytes

No, that's definitely not the case as there is no way to tell if it is a production year or a part of the actual title of the film.

I had some trouble before renaming movie folders and putting year inside round brackets.

Maybe If I use square bracket, would It avoid some issues?

Deathsquirrel

I had some trouble before renaming movie folders and putting year inside round brackets.

Maybe If I use square bracket, would It avoid some issues?

No, production year should go in round brackets like 'Spectre (2015).mkv'.  Square brackets are for text to ignore like 'Spectre (2015) [Emby will totally ignore this text].mkv'

• 2 years later...
Ingvix

I don't think this is important enough for its own thread so I just use this old one.

Square brackets in front of movie/series name don't get ignored. Fixing this probably isn't a hard thing to do and would not hurt any other functionality.

• 2 years later...
On 5/9/2018 at 5:50 AM, Ingvix said:

Square brackets in front of movie/series name don't get ignored. Fixing this probably isn't a hard thing to do and would not hurt any other functionality.

Bump.

I think you are saying the year should be supported when it is at the beginning of the folder name, and it should be allowed to be in any type of brackets, e.g. [1977] Star Wars should work just as well as Star Wars (1977). I, too, would like to see Emby support this folder naming convention. In a related thread...

On 7/8/2020 at 7:04 PM, Luke said:

We try to support as many conventions as we can.

Fingers crossed.