Option to also ignore normal brackets...

Guest topbanana

Guest topbanana

I gather that square brackets are ignored when identifying movies?

Could we also have an option that when enabled, it also ignores the normal ( ) brackets as well.

I have a lot of foreign films in my collection and they're named with both the english title and the original foreign title in brackets...

E.g.

English Title (Foreign Title) (1980)

(Almost) None of these identify when scanning so i have to manually id them, editing the title in the search to remove one or the other title (it usually works with either).

This is a chore, especially for me who's had to rebuild the library a few times recently due to hardware failures and upgrade.

Ignoring the brackets would also help with those movies with (Director's Cut) in the title too...

This should then mean that almost all the films would ID automatically, which is always our goal.

Notice that the year (even in your example) is also in parens and that is information we use.

I suppose we could get complicated and ignore anything in parens that isn't a number...

Guest topbanana

I could rename them all... and all the other people that come up against this problem could too...  having normal brackets in filenames, like as used here, are probably very common.

Or we could change the software to add an option, or to make it smarter, so that it isn't a problem for anyone any more... and it would reduce the related forum threads a bit ;-)

The years i guess are easily recognized so can be separated from the title?

Oh and normal brackets are prettier when looking at the filenames ;-)

My concern would be movies with parenthetical titles.  Not sure how many of those there are but I bet there are some.

The standard for such things is pretty much square brackets.  That's what we've been using for years and haven't had very many people with this paren problem.

And, you'll need to find one of my rants on "just add it as an option" before you go there.. ;)

• Like 1

Guest topbanana

My concern would be movies with parenthetical titles.  Not sure how many of those there are but I bet there are some.

But they would be rare (i have 1 in 2000+) compared to movies with bracketed foreign titles or directors cuts (100-150)... 

I totally expect that there would always be a couple of movies that needed to be ID'd manually, we can't ever make it smart enough to compete with our human brains.

At the moment, it's not identifying dozens of movies and correctly IDing the couple of movies with parentheses in their titles... we need it at least the other way around...  and perhaps with a bit of fuzzy logic searching it would be able to id 99.9% sometime down the road. 

I appreciate that this is probably a technically difficult area, a black art...

The standard for such things is pretty much square brackets.  That's what we've been using for years and haven't had very many people with this paren problem.

It is A standard, probably the dominant one, but it's one of a few of standards...

Unless you're actively trying to make your titles machine readable, the natural way would more likely use normal brackets i'd guess...

As us engineers like to say, Standards are awesome, especially when you have a few to choose from :-D

Vidman

I could rename them all... and all the other people that come up against this problem could too... having normal brackets in filenames, like as used here, are probably very common.

Or we could change the software to add an option, or to make it smarter, so that it isn't a problem for anyone any more... and it would reduce the related forum threads a bit ;-)

The years i guess are easily recognized so can be separated from the title?

Oh and normal brackets are prettier when looking at the filenames ;-)

Or you and they could just conform to the accepted standard and use normal brackets and square brackets where appropriate so various software doesn't need an intricate web of algorithms to cover very single variation and require constant maintainance/bugfixing/updating as someone else's preferred naming scheme is added

Guest topbanana

Or you and they could just conform to the accepted standard and use normal brackets and square brackets where appropriate so various software doesn't need an intricate web of algorithms to cover very single variation and require constant maintainance/bugfixing/updating as someone else's preferred naming scheme is added

But then you're back at getting lots of people to change their ways forever more... 

Or just change the code to make it flexible.

A big selling point for most software is generally the flexibility in allowable input formats...  and we're not talking about weird, obscure title formats at all.

I can't see that this is technically impossible in any way, as it's already ignoring stuff surrounded by [ ], so it can equally ignore stuff surrounded by ( )... with a bit of extra code to suck out the year.

You're right, we are flexible, but we've gone a long time without anybody asking for this. Realistically this might have to wait for our parsing engine to become configurable, which is something i'd like to do at some point.

Guest topbanana

The other angle to come at it then: can it just identify the movie, even when both names are present? (The root of the problem)
I just thought ignoring bracketed content would be easier...

Guest topbanana

I think most, if not all of the following didn't get identified.  But i have many, many more than these...

Amélie (Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain) (2001).mp4

Blue Is the Warmest Color (La Vie d'Adèle - Chapitres 1 et 2) (2013) (720p).mkv

Come and See (Иди и смотри) (1985).mkv

Elite Squad - The Enemy Within (Tropa de Elite 2) (2010).mkv

Godzilla (ゴジラ, Gojira) (1954) (720p).mkv

Let the Right One In (Låt Den Rätte Komma In) (2008) (720p).mp4

My Neighbor Totoro (となりのトトロ) (1988).mkv
Run Lola Run (Lola Rennt) (1998) (720p).mkv
Rurouni Kenshin (るろうに剣心) (2012) (720p).mkv
Show Me Love (Fucking Åmål) (1998).mkv
Three Colors - Blue (Trois couleurs - Bleu) (1993) (720p).mp4

Troll Hunter (Trolljegeren) (2010).mkv

Wetlands (Feuchtgebiete) (2013) (720p).mkv

Good day,

I add the original titles with "-" like example:

The Streetfighter - Hard Times (1975)

It not good idea to ignore the "()" within, since some movies use them, I have like 200 in my collection that have like (I) in the titles.

This for sure if this request apply will effect my collection.

My best

Guest topbanana

I add the original titles with "-" like example:

The Streetfighter - Hard Times (1975)

This won't work for me as i have hundreds of movies that use the hyphen when it's replacing a colon, or it's a sequel or it has a tag-line in the title...  This is exceedingly common and i'd guess the more normal use for hyphens. 

Using the brackets as i am is a completely standard usage in the english language.

It not good idea to ignore the "()" within, since some movies use them, I have like 200 in my collection that have like (I) in the titles.

This for sure if this request apply will effect my collection.

So don't turn this feature on.

So this feature request doesn't affect you.

I have 100+ movies with foreign titles, etc in the name and... one with brackets in the main title.

The feature would mean it corrects hundreds of problem movies and causes one new one...  when i turn it on.
Edited by topbanana

Guest topbanana

So as it stands now, when the initial scan runs, it'll finish with a number of movies that are simply not identified using the current methods.

Could it then, after initially failing, re-identify the file with Ignore brackets turned on, or other methods?

So it's conditional.

And automatic.

At the end of the day we're just wanting it to successfully ID 99.9 of our films automatically...  with the occasional tricky one that we can manually help it with.

Vidman

This won't work for me as i have hundreds of movies that use the hyphen when it's replacing a colon, or it's a sequel or it has a tag-line in the title... This is exceedingly common and i'd guess the more normal use for hyphens.

Using the brackets as i am is a completely standard usage in the english language.

I have 100+ movies with foreign titles, etc in the name and... one with brackets in the main title.

The feature would mean it corrects hundreds of problem movies and causes one new one... when i turn it on.

Using square brackets is completely standard usage too ...using them would mean it corrects hundreds of problem movies with no ill side effects or settings required

Deathsquirrel

If you don't want to fix the file names to parse automatically you can always simply manually identify the movies.  Once you're done it's easy to maintain.  If you store your metadata with the movies you won't even need to do it again if there were a sever crash that wiped out your Emby install.

Guest topbanana

Using square brackets is completely standard usage too

Dude, type in some foreign movie titles in to any torrent site and your "completely standard usage" view might be changed somewhat.

...using them would mean it corrects hundreds of problem movies with no ill side effects or settings required

I agree that it is very, very common and the desired standard to use square brackets, especially when wanting to make titles machine readable. But it is common to find normal brackets used this way, and it would be the way you'd write it in normal English text (hence why it is used at all).

So it'd be nice if emby could be flexible such that it could just deal with the not uncommon use of normal brackets that it will be sure to encounter forever more... problem solved, no more forum threads, extra flexibility adding to its attractiveness.

So one fix rather than me and many others having to rename hundreds of movies now, and then every new user in the future that has some bracketed files having to rename all their dozens/hundreds of movies.  Computers/software are good a being flexible if you program them such.

I don't use movie folders.  All the movies are in one flat folder on an external disk that gets lent out a lot.

All foreign films have their subs muxed, so it's a lovely clean listing, you can see what format the film is in, HD or not, etc...

So i don't store metadata with the movies.  Again, keeping the disk clean (Plus the thing is near full again! Damn!)

Using emby is just for me, the film files are 'optimized' (normal brackets are prettier than square ones lol) so that they're Human Readable, by my mates.

It might not be the way you do it, but it is the way i do it and others do. This whole movie/tv library thing is an art after all...

So my foreign movies are not incorrectly named, not at all.  But they're just incompatibly named for emby as its code stands at the moment.

Edited by topbanana

Guest topbanana

Many people will have previously just spent the time renaming everything (possibly very time consuming)...

Only a few emby users choose to look at the emby forums...

Only a few of them will do so regularly...

Only a few of them will ever post to the emby forums, most probably just lurk.

Then only some of them have had or have this problem.

Only a few of them will have been online in the past week whilst this request has been online.

Only some of them will be arsed to post in this thread.

Many will just give up and rename everything.

Perhaps some are scared to.

The above things can easily explain that having no one else chime in is very, very possible for any given problem/request/bug/whatever ever posted to a forum.

It's not about being popular, it about what is being requested and justified.

If we could make emby flexible then it just makes it easier for people to use it.  This would reduce the work needed to get everything working nice.
Many people have had to rename stuff, sometimes for very justified reasons but here we're talking about a common usage of brackets in foreign titles as you'd do in normal language.

MikePlanet

You're right, we are flexible, but we've gone a long time without anybody asking for this. Realistically this might have to wait for our parsing engine to become configurable, which is something i'd like to do at some point.

My suggestion would be to allow a configurable regex cleaning expression - that would allow to cleanup whatever anybody might want to clean from title. Default can be empty to comply with existing behaviour, imho configuration could be done via xml, not even GUI necessary, as most people will probably find it easier to rename their directory than to deal with it anyway. Implementation would be one setting to read and one line inside the title parser to do the regex cleanup of the title based on the expression in the setting (e.g. '\(.*\)" to remove anything with brackets).

My suggestion would be to allow a configurable regex cleaning expression - that would allow to cleanup whatever anybody might want to clean from title. Default can be empty to comply with existing behaviour, imho configuration could be done via xml, not even GUI necessary, as most people will probably find it easier to rename their directory than to deal with it anyway. Implementation would be one setting to read and one line inside the title parser to do the regex cleanup of the title based on the expression in the setting (e.g. '\(.*\)" to remove anything with brackets).

Realistically this might have to wait for our parsing engine to become configurable, which is something i'd like to do at some point.

Vidman

Many people will have previously just spent the time renaming everything (possibly very time consuming)...

Only a few emby users choose to look at the emby forums...

Only a few of them will do so regularly...

Only a few of them will ever post to the emby forums, most probably just lurk.

Then only some of them have had or have this problem.

Only a few of them will have been online in the past week whilst this request has been online.

Only some of them will be arsed to post in this thread.

Many will just give up and rename everything.

Perhaps some are scared to.

The above things can easily explain that having no one else chime in is very, very possible for any given problem/request/bug/whatever ever posted to a forum.

It's not about being popular, it about what is being requested and justified.

If we could make emby flexible then it just makes it easier for people to use it. This would reduce the work needed to get everything working nice.

Many people have had to rename stuff, sometimes for very justified reasons but here we're talking about a common usage of brackets in foreign titles as you'd do in normal language.

Again we only have you saying that others are having the same issue as you... And when it comes to prioritising feature requests here it is about being popular

• 2 months later...
RanmaCanada

This would help with a LOT of anime issues.  I know this is an old thread, but seriously, so many release groups have stuff in () instead of [] that changing all my files to have that, even with renamer, is a chore and a half.  This is the reason I have so many anime where there is a season 720 or season 1080 and I have to manually change every single file in Emby if I want to keep the original names, ie release group and 8bit or 10bit, FLAC AAC AC3, etc.  Even my own stuff I would have to rename and change out the brackets etc.  It would be a fantastic feature,   But I know anime is a totally different animal than everything else.

• 5 weeks later...
computerprep

Just gonna throw this out there, to those of you "following" this thread and receiving a notification after I post this...

In efforts to maintain a great piece of media-organization software that is helpful, legal, and remains in active development for a long time, please refrain from making a request that is supported by arguments of potentially illegal activity.

There is software that will help you rename every file in your library that had this problem. My choice is "KenRename" http://goo.gl/V1tgbi, but there are other choices. Software like this will let you change the necessary brackets based on the contents of those brackets matching or not matching certain rules.