Offline Mode

AdilMahboob

AdilMahboob

Hi all,

I have just started to use the synchronisation functionality available within Emby and noted a couple of points that render it almost unusable as a solution for my scenario!

I use the Android app on my tablet and, as expected, the items that have been marked for synchronisation do copy down to the device correctly. The first problem is that they can only be copied to internal storage which means there is a severe handicap on the space that can be used. I tried to change it to SD card; however, it would seem the app is not requesting the appropriate permission (an example of an app that does do this correctly is Solid Explorer).

The next problem comes when trying to use the app in a location where there is no network connectivity available. I currently have to browse to the file using a file explorer app and also use a video player app. On top of all this, I am required to manually mark the item as watched the next time I use Emby with network connectivity.

Please enable an offline mode which will queue the watched and resume statuses for local items to the server on the next available connection!

Thanks,

Adil

• Like 2

offline mode is planned. the good news is that in the meantime, the files are saved using easy to understand file names which will make them easy to use with other players until we have it.

• Like 1

AdilMahboob

Thanks Luke. That's great news! Is there a particular release this is planned for or will it be squeezed in during downtime?

• 1 year later...
screwfaze

Hi,

I know this is a planned feature but do you have any update or eta on how long it will take? I am considering using emby for all my media management and would love to have offline mode.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
screwfaze

Hi Luke,

Thanks for replying, is there somewhere I can go to see the progress on new requests like this so I don't have to keep asking.

Thanks

BAlGaInTl

@@screwfaze

I'm waiting for this feature too.

My workaround is to install VLC on the mobile device. That's my preferred player for local content.

In the Emby app, I went to settings and then "Offline Sync." From there, I set the synced content path to the standard "movies" file on my android device. VLC automatically looks at this folder. So when I open VLC, my synced content is immediately available.

I can see this being difficult for a LOT of synced media and organization, but since I typically only sync a few shows/movies at a time, it works fine for me.

screwfaze
@@BAlGaInTl I am more interested in the music side of things for the offline mode as I travel a lot and listen to a lot of music on the underground so don't always have data. It would not be Ideal for all the different playlists that I have. I also have other users who this would not work for and would complicate my life.

I hope I do not come across as a moaner but I love Emby and just want to use it for everything only a couple of things holding it back  :D

Thanks,

Alex

BAlGaInTl

@@BAlGaInTl I am more interested in the music side of things for the offline mode as I travel a lot and listen to a lot of music on the underground so don't always have data. It would not be Ideal for all the different playlists that I have. I also have other users who this would not work for and would complicate my life.

I hope I do not come across as a moaner but I love Emby and just want to use it for everything only a couple of things holding it back  :D

Thanks,

Alex

Yeah... I can see it not working as well in that scenario.

I get it.  There are a couple features missing from Emby over other options out there.  That being said, there are other reasons that I chose this project to support over them.