Recorded TV Issue

bmoses
Go to solution Solved by krustyreturns,

i cannot reproduce it sorry. perhaps try removing the tv plugin, refreshing the guide, then adding it back.

i cannot reproduce it sorry. perhaps try removing the tv plugin, refreshing the guide, then adding it back.

i did that last night working on another issue and it doesn't appear to have helped :( would giving you access to my server help at all? as i mentioned before by my setup, and my parents setup have the same issue. other than the model of HDHomeRun unit being used are setups are almost exactly the same.

question related to this. if you re-encode the WTV file into a different file should it still be able to be played from the "auto recorded tv" section (aka not an added recorded tv library)? assuming all the refreshes have happened for emby to rescan and see the new file. i ask because i was attempting to do this to work around the issue i posted in this thread but anytime i replace the file that was recorded with a new one emby can no longer see or play it.

mjktg99

question related to this. if you re-encode the WTV file into a different file should it still be able to be played from the "auto recorded tv" section (aka not an added recorded tv library)? assuming all the refreshes have happened for emby to rescan and see the new file. i ask because i was attempting to do this to work around the issue i posted in this thread but anytime i replace the file that was recorded with a new one emby can no longer see or play it.

No because WMC will only see the WTV file.  It will not recognize any other formats in the recorded tv folder.

No because WMC will only see the WTV file.  It will not recognize any other formats in the recorded tv folder.

ah thanks, i guess i didn't realize that the recorded TV section of emby was pulling info through WMC instead of direct from the files. 

GRRRRRRR...... i was attempting to redo my WMC live tv setup by going through the setup again in an attempt to resolve this issue. it did the channel scan and now its only showing 1 channel, even though my hdhomerun channel scan shows all available channels correctly. when i watched WMC do the scan it kept finding, then removing, all of the channels as it scanned each frequency. so like it was scan a frequency and find 14 channels, then the next frequency would only have 3 channels on it so it would go from 14 channels found to 3. the last frequency scanned only has 1 channel on it so thats the only channel its displaying. so far google hasn't been any help in finding a solution to this issue, anyone here seen this happen before?

well that was a pain in the A@@...... i basically had to use a couple of guide editing tools and go through and manually add all of the channels based on what the hdhomerun software saw when it did its scan, then match the channels up with the correct guide listings. plus add all my shows back in to be recorded :( everything is back up and working now in that sense, however it didn't do anything with attempting to fix the issue i originally posted about with not being able to FF, rewind, resume when watching for the recorded tv section of emby :(

I'm honestly a little confused. You kind of lost me. But I'm glad things are working for you.

lol it was a very confusing problem :) i got this reply from someone else on another forum about the issue that will probably help explain it

"Mediacom's signal doesn't include the PSIP data that WMC needs in order to identify the channel and WMC hides channels it can't identify.

In my area, the only channel with PSIP data is the channel that runs infomercials 24/7.
As you noted, you can manually edit the channels in WMC, but it is a tedious & time-consuming task that will need to be repeated any time you have WMC do a rescan.

Mediacom wants you to rent a DVR from them, rather than you using your computer as a DVR, so they have no incentive to make it easy for you."

so basically when i rescanned for channels i lost all of them because of how mediacom handles their clearQAM channels, so i had to manually add all my channels back into WMC so they would show back up in emby.

i was attempting to redo live TV setup in WMC in hopes it would fix this recorded TV issue which then caused the above issues and the end result was i still have my original issue with recorded TV in my OP :(

btgerold

For what it's worth I'm experiancing a similar problem...  No resume, and FF doesn't work (although it sometimes will go when you are towards the end of the program).  

File marks as played even if you watch 1 minute.

This is only appears to be for wtv files.  MP4 can FF, Resume and have no apparent issues.

I'm running:

Emby 3.0.5781.4

WMC 1.0.0.58, build:1199

If you'd like any info from me to help figure out the problem let me know.

• Like 1

For what it's worth I'm experiancing a similar problem...  No resume, and FF doesn't work (although it sometimes will go when you are towards the end of the program).  

File marks as played even if you watch 1 minute.

This is only appears to be for wtv files.  MP4 can FF, Resume and have no apparent issues.

I'm running:

Emby 3.0.5781.4

WMC 1.0.0.58, build:1199

If you'd like any info from me to help figure out the problem let me know.

while it sucks you are having the issue i'm also glad at least someone else is besides me!! ;)

can you test something for me? i assume you are watching the WTV files through the emby auto generated recorded TV section? If thats the case can you add your folder with your WTV files as a library folder and then once emby scans them in watch a WTV file from there and see if resume, FF, and rewind work when watching it that way?

on my system watching the files that way works OK, but of course all my recorded TV files are just dumped in there and there isn't any nice organization like the main recorded TV section has.

btgerold

Made a seperate library folder, and watched on the web-browser, the app on my phone the same network, and on the Roku.  In all three cases, resume and FF worked.  No issues on the browser or phone, but on the Roku, it started right away, but when I fast forwarded, it took for ever (like a minute) to spool up and start playing agian....  Not sure if that is relevent or not.

This doesn't have to do with anything, but Annoyingly, i had moved abunch of my TV files a while back to a network drive, and labled the folder "test".  When going through the TV recordings section, it doesn't affect anything but in the Library folder, Emby is pretty sure those are all episodes of Johnny Test...

Made a seperate library folder, and watched on the web-browser, the app on my phone the same network, and on the Roku.  In all three cases, resume and FF worked.  No issues on the browser or phone, but on the Roku, it started right away, but when I fast forwarded, it took for ever (like a minute) to spool up and start playing agian....  Not sure if that is relevent or not.

This doesn't have to do with anything, but Annoyingly, i had moved abunch of my TV files a while back to a network drive, and labled the folder "test".  When going through the TV recordings section, it doesn't affect anything but in the Library folder, Emby is pretty sure those are all episodes of Johnny Test...

thats exactly what i see happen too. so glad someone else is having the same issue i am. now just need to figure out how to get it fixed :)

krustyreturns

Try this, in the http service tab of serverwmc turn off 'Use Urls instead of smb/unc paths for emby-server'.  Then restart emby server.  See if that makes a difference.  Note that your recorded tv folder will need to be accessible by emby server if emby is on a different machine.

btgerold

Try this, in the http service tab of serverwmc turn off 'Use Urls instead of smb/unc paths for emby-server'.  Then restart emby server.  See if that makes a difference.  Note that your recorded tv folder will need to be accessible by emby server if emby is on a different machine.

Did this on mine, and the web client detail page populated wiht media info where there was none before.  FF and rewind are working, Resume is also now working.

• Like 1

krustyreturns

I guess it's working because in this mode emby has access directly to the file.  @@Luke, if all it needs is media info to make the trick play work, does the emby tv api have a way for the backend to provide this info for each recorded tv file?

• Like 2

I guess it's working because in this mode emby has access directly to the file.  @@Luke, if all it needs is media info to make the trick play work, does the emby tv api have a way for the backend to provide this info for each recorded tv file?

just had a moment to test on mine as well. same results, unchecking that box made all my previously recorded shows work with FF, rewind, resume. of course unchecking that box broke being able to direct stream live TV to my nexus player, but i'm guessing that was known that would happen.

hopefully that gives the devs something to go off of to get a fix! :)

still doing some other testing but one thing to note, after unchecking that setting and restarting servermwc and emby the recorded TV started working. so i rechecked the setting and restarted serverwmc and emby and the recorded tv shows ARE still working. i'm going to test a new recorded tv show here in a second with the setting still checked to see if that one reverts to the previous behavior.

krustyreturns

That would be great if you can confirm it, because I think that would mean I just need to send the media info to emby when its using http.  Which is the question I posed to Luke earlier.

as expected, rechecking the box and restarting things caused the issue to return. was hoping maybe it would have shaken something free once it started working but it didn't. 

EDIT: unchecking the box and restarting caused the new recorded show to work and then after rechecking the box it was still working. 

Edited by bmoses

I could do something like this but I think when a recording is a completed static file you are better off just giving emby server the direct file path. nothing will ever be as efficient as a static file.

krustyreturns

But then I am back to not using http.  Or I try to set it up so that live tv uses http and recorded files use network shares - which sounds ugly.  How big a deal is it to add this?

It's not a big deal but I would really suggest using that setting as a means to solve problems, and not as a personal preference. Unless you're intending to support a server wmc instance on some other network then there is really no advantage to taking away direct file access for completed, static files. It's really just going to create more opportunities for troubleshooting by having to support both.