Recorded TV Issue

bmoses
Go to solution Solved by krustyreturns,

I wasn't sure where to put this since it happens across multiple platforms so i just stuck it here, feel free to move if it needs to be.

First off I love the new Recorded TV section that was added recently! I used to just have my recorded TV folder setup as one of my media locations but browsing through it was a pain, I like how the new interface groups the recording together under the show that was recorded.

my issue is when watching recorded TV shows through this new interface i can not fast forward, rewind, or resume playback if the entire episode isn't watched. I've tested this on the (non beta release) fire TV stick, the (beta release) nexus player, and the web player. in all cases trying to jump around moves the time spot on the bar but the show just starts over and if i stop watching it early the show gets marked as watched without saving the resume spot.

i went back just to make sure and watched the same test episode through my recorded TV folder added to the library and everything works as expected.

since it is an odd issue affecting multiple things i'm not sure what logs, if any, you will need so let me know and i'll get them for you!

thanks!

can you elaborate more on

if the entire episode isn't watched
Thanks.

As in let's say it's a 30 minute episode and I only watch 10 minutes. If I back out of playing the episode it's marked as watched and I cannot resume it from the 10 minute point, I would have to rewatch the first 10 minutes before being able to get to the unwatched portion. aka i can't resume a partially watched episode.

Edited by bmoses

That sounds like we don't know the length of the video which means we didn't properly interrogate it.  If you force-refresh one in the metadata manager, what happens?

That sounds like we don't know the length of the video which means we didn't properly interrogate it.  If you force-refresh one in the metadata manager, what happens?

i'm not at home to try the FTV stick of the NP, but i tried the web interface and did the force refresh and tried replaying it but the same issues still happened. The web player does show what looks to be the correct length of the video when it starts playing, but if i remember right playing the episodes on the FTV stick or NP does not show the remaining time.

If you look at the item in the web client detail page, is there any media info at the bottom?

If you look at the item in the web client detail page, is there any media info at the bottom?

nope doesn't look like it. the episode description is up top and then below that is the "if you liked (Insert show name here) you might also like" and then there is nothing below that.

there is media info if i look at the same episode when looking at it through the "recorded tv" folder as a media location where all the other things work that aren't through the new interface.

just got back from my parents house where i setup a nexus player for them. I tested out their recorded TV shows and they did the same thing. they have their own local server setup so it wasn't using anything from my setup.

just wanted to check and see if you found the issue with this? If you need any testing or logs or anything for it let me know! thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

yes it's in the server beta

i just did a quick test on Version 3.0.5768.6 using the web player and i was unable to skip around in the show and when stopping playback mid way through the show going to resume it did not offer a resume option and started over at the beginning again. So assuming i'm on the correct beta version it doesn't appear to be fixed for me.

retested on Version 3.0.5781.0 and recorded TV through the recorded TV interface (android TV and web interface) are still having the issue of not being able to fast forward, rewind, or resume. 

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to keep bumping this, tested on the latest release which was Version 3.0.5781.1 and the issue is still there. do you have an ETA on when this will be fixed? It really kills the awesomeness of the recorded TV section when you can't fast forward, rewind, or resume. and browsing recorded TV through the library is very cumbersome compared to using this section.

i'm not able to reproduce this. make sure on the recording detail page that it has media info at the bottom, and if not, try using the refresh feature. in my testing, seeking through recorded tv works fine no problem.

i'm not able to reproduce this. make sure on the recording detail page that it has media info at the bottom, and if not, try using the refresh feature. in my testing, seeking through recorded tv works fine no problem.

bmoses - are you dealing with wtv files here?

yes they are WTV files. Here are screenshots of the 2 different sections for Recorded TV.

This screenshot is from the recorded TV folder thats part of my library. watching the show from here works when using fast forward, rewind, or resume.

recorded%20TV%201.jpg

This screenshot is from the same episode/file above, but is from the non-library recorded TV section where fast forward, rewind, and resume do not work

recorded%20TV%202.jpg

so as you can see one has the media info, the other does not. I have tried going in and forcing a refresh on the one where the media info is missing and it does not add in the missing media info.

ok, so we didnt' actually record it ourselves. ffmpeg might just be having an issue seeking within the file. you might consider checking out the folder sync feature which can help convert them to more easily streamable mp4's

ok, so we didnt' actually record it ourselves. ffmpeg might just be having an issue seeking within the file. you might consider checking out the folder sync feature which can help convert them to more easily streamable mp4's

sorry for the potentially dumb question, just trying to wrap my brain around this. if ffmpeg was having an issue seeking within the file why does it work OK when watching it through my "library recorded tv" folder but can't when watching it through the recorded TV section? both ways end up at the exact same file, the only difference is where i initiate watching them from.

and i use serverwmc to access the hdhomerun tuners, not the built in emby tv, so i assume thats what you mean by you didn't record it?

ah i see. I'm not really sure what the difference is there to be honest. I do not see the issue with the built-in live tv provider. That's not to say it's a server wmc problem, it might not be. i'll have to see if i can think of what it might be.

ah i see. I'm not really sure what the difference is there to be honest. I do not see the issue with the built-in live tv provider. That's not to say it's a server wmc problem, it might not be. i'll have to see if i can think of what it might be.

thanks! if you need any logging, testing, access to my server, etc to help get this fixed just let me know!

• 3 weeks later...

morning :) just wanted to check in and see if you had any progress on figuring out this issue? let me know if there is anything i can do to help figure it out!

Edited by bmoses