Cant Stream Locally From Yatse When Using Emby for Kodi

marcelovz

xnappo

It is probably easy to solve.  Just that if someone can look at their DB and see what is different and fix it there as a test it will be a lot faster.  

It is almost certainly something with the format of the path? 

Just trying to speed up the debug, we will look at it eventually.

I just use Emby for remote control.

Another thought is that Yatse uses the sources.xml file somehow...

Edited by xnappo

marcelovz

It is probably easy to solve.  Just that if someone can look at their DB and see what is different and fix it there as a test it will be a lot faster.  

It is almost certainly something with the format of the path? 

Just trying to speed up the debug, we will look at it eventually.

I just use Emby for remote control.

Another thought is that Yatse uses the sources.xml file somehow...

Ok,You don't use Yatse, But if Kodi Dbs were exactly the same using or not using the Emby addon , there would not be this problem with Yatse

Edited by marcelovz

xnappo

I agree.  As I said, help us out and look to see what this critical difference is, or wait and we will get around to it.

marcelovz

I agree.  As I said, help us out and look to see what this critical difference is, or wait and we will get around to it.

Hi

Just  look at my Kodi Dbs that I sended, and you will see the differences. Both were created with exactly the same source library.

Thanks

xnappo

Use SqlLiteBrowser and change one entry that doesn't work, one field at a time and figure out which difference breaks Yatse for me, then I will fix it.  Otherwise wait and we will fix it some time.

xnappo

marcelovz

Use SqlLiteBrowser and change one entry that doesn't work, one field at a time and figure out which difference breaks Yatse for me, then I will fix it.  Otherwise wait and we will fix it some time.

xnappo

I'm sorry but I am only a User who wants to see the app working as it should, it does not fit me because it was not me who developed the application. The part that fits me was made, which was to point out the flaws in the project now lacks the person who is responsible for application development discover where are the problems to try to solve it.

Regards

MarceloVZ

xnappo

Okay - we have many users who are willing to help debug, it is fine that you are not.  Your problem is noted and we will look into it at some point.

Remember this is Open Source software - we don't get paid for this.

Thanks,

xnappo

marcelovz

Okay - we have many users who are willing to help debug, it is fine that you are not.  Your problem is noted and we will look into it at some point.

Remember this is Open Source software - we don't get paid for this.

Thanks,

xnappo

Thank you for your attention

Is exactly for this reason, the software is open source (not paid), I had all the trouble to send my my logs and Dbs to be analyzed, that is, my part is done.

So let's wait until one day, the help I provided has a positive return for all who are having this difficulty (which are not few).

Thanks

xnappo

Okay, I found the problem.  I has nothing to do with the db.  Not sure how we can fix it without breaking other stuff.

Yatse apparently uses the sources.xml file.

To test this:

1. You must have your database setup with direct paths

2. Find the exact path the DB is referencing for a particular server (you may need to use sqllitebrowser and look at the path table to get this)

3. Modify sources.xml and add the path like this:

<source>
            <name>Trevor Movies</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://<yourUserName>:<yourPassword>@jupiter/r/Video/Trevor Movies/</path>
            <allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
        </source>

4. Restart Kodi 

5. Remove server from Yatse, re-add

6. Try to play something from the path you added to sources.xml

Problem is.. I think if we add the path to sources.xml the native scraper might start doing 'weird' stuff. @@marcelveldt @@Angelblue05 - I can't remember - any issue with having the path in sources.xml?

xnappo

@@cw-kid please try this - I think you know how..

Edited by xnappo

xnappo

It did not seem to for me..  But yes this is a concern.  I just want someone else to test, if we prove for sure this is the problem, we can possibly ask the Yatse dev for a work-around.  Maybe the duplicate problem only happens when the path in sources.xml doesn't match what is in the path table. 

Edited by xnappo

@@xnappo

OK I manually edited the sources.xml file as you suggested, I added in the path for my Documentary Video files folder, as there are not many in there. 

In Kodi when I go to Videos -> Files I can see the "Documentaries" Folder is now listed. 

Initially on the Yatse app, I didn't remove the Kodi PC host and re-add it, I just tried to play some documentaries and a couple did play locally on the Android tablet. :)

However later it seemed to stop working :(  and I was then unable to play any of them including the ones that did play initially. 

After messing about with it, I realised if you edit the source in the Kodi GUI, it changes the path in the sources.xml file.

So for example, this works if the username and password are present, by manually editing the sources.xml file.

<path pathversion="1">smb://user:password@server/documentaries/videos/</path> 

But this doesn't seem to work, if the username and password are removed, and when you edit the source in the Kodi GUI it seems to remove them.

<path pathversion="1">smb://server/documentaries/videos/</path> 

I did this which I think then broke it..... Looking at the Documentaries folder entry in Kodi in the Videos -> Files area, on the context menu I selected "Edit Source" and then clicked "Select" on the dialogue that opens, it then shows you the "Set Content" dialogue. This is set to NONE.

Which means the native scrapers shouldn't do anything with this folder. 

Only potential issue I can see with this, is that if the user had assigned a Content Type and Scraper, then they would end up with duplicate movie titles in their library. As both Emby and native Kodi would be scanning in the content. 

There is also another option "Exclude selected folder from scans" on the "Set Content" dialogue that is turned OFF by default, when you manually edit the sources.xml file and add in the path.

However if you add the path in the Kodi GUI instead, using Windows Network SMB and browse to the folder then if "Set Content" = NONE, then the "Exclude selected folder from scans" seems to be turned ON by default. 

So it seems to work but only if you manually edit the sources.xml file, to add the path and you do not add or edit the source in the Kodi GUI.

Also note some of the HD documentary video files either didn't start playing at all or were skipping playback on the Android tablet, the SD ones all played fine.

Also there was one SD video that played but had no sound, Yatse says AC3 audio not supported.

Hope this helps?

Edited by cw-kid

Looking on my OpenElec HTPC that is NOT connected to Emby and is still connected to MYSQL, looking at its sources.xml file, none of the Video paths have the username and password in them, yet I can play movies locally on the Android tablet with the Yatse app OK.

For example here is the one for the documentaries folder:

<source>
            <name>Documentaries</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://WHS/DOCUMENTARIES/</path>
        </source>

So not sure why it works without the username and password present?

And the Emby Kodi PC seems to need the username and password present in the path, in the sources.xml fille.

Unless its something to do with Kodi storing the username and password for the SMB sources, as I seem to remember when you first add sources in native Kodi it prompts you for the username and password and stores that somewhere. 
Edited by cw-kid

Oh one other thing, I tested this on my Apple mac, Kodi on there has the Emby add-on and is set to use Direct Paths rather then the default option of Plug-on Paths. 

So we are assuming that this will only ever work when the Emby add-on is using Direct Paths (SMB) ?

And for a Kodi PC using the Emby add-on with Plug-in Paths it will not work ? Even if the sources.xml file is edited to add in the Video paths to the SMB folders. 

I suppose we could test it also an a Kodi PC using Plug-in Paths. 

Thanks

OK I also just tested this. On my Windows 10 laptop Kodi with the Emby add-on is set to use Plug-in Paths. 

I then edited the sources.xml file and added in the code to create the path / folder for the Documentary videos. 

On the Yatse app I then added this Kodi PC as a Host as it wasn't already added. After Yatse had synced I then tried to play some Documentary video files locally.

And they didn't play, which is what I kinda expected would happen, but worth a try I guess. 

So if any solution is done by the DEVs, it seems users will have to use Direct Paths in the Emby add-on to be able to stream titles locally to the Yatse app. 

Well as xnappo suggested if the issue can be clearly identified it maybe a simpler fix for the dev of the yatse app to support the emby for kodi addon

Edited by Vidman

Well as xnappo suggested if the issue can be clearly identified it maybe a simpler fix for the dev of the yatse app

Possibly but what would have to be done by the Yatse dev? If this could work with the Emby add-on using the default option of Plug-in Paths I think that would be preferred would it not?

Its clearly an issue with the Emby Kodi PCs not having SMB folders in the sources.xml file and that Yatse is using the sources.xml file to stream locally. 

And not to do with the DB structures as the OP stated. 

xnappo

Thanks @@cw-kid.

A couple of comments

- Yes, the Yatse app will only direct play a pretty limited number of formats (not necessarily SD, but simple old codecs)

- Possibly on your other MySQL setup you have a passwords.xml file that is allowing it to work?

- Yes, ideally it would work with the plugin path, or without the edit - if someone cares now you can ask the Yatse dev about playing a file from a path not in sources.xml I guess, but I doubt they will do anything

- We could, if there was enough interest, automatically add the path the sources.xml if direct paths is enabled.

- The Emby Android app is free, and can play more formats directly, and can automatically detect if you are on your local network or away an adjust :D

xnappo

@@xnappo

I am not at home now but will look for a password.xml file on the OpenElec HTPC / MYSQL. 

I find the Emby Android app very slow to navigate when compared to Yatse. The Emby app is too slow on the local WIFI, to use properly on my own tablet, Asus MemoPad 7 (K017) with Android Lollipop.

Its not mission critical for me that Yatse can be used to stream to the local mobile device, but as I paid for the Yatse app specifically for that feature, it would be nice if it could work, as the kids did use it on their tablets. 

So who is going to contact the Yatse dev to explain what we would need implementing?

I don't mind doing it if need be. if I know exactly what I am asking for...

xnappo

I have no idea who develops Yatse, but I guess explain that there are two things:

1. Ideally Yatse would allow streaming from a plugin path pointed to by the DB

2. Secondly Yatse seems to depend on the path being in sources.xml - is that needed?

Could be there is no way around this.. Don't know.

xnappo

• 4 weeks later...
BassKing

Hey guys!

I had the same problem like you but i got it work!

The problem is: Yatse dont get the password of your samba share (try to download the movie, you will get a 401 error)

Second: make your share accessable for guests... it will work to

Solution:

You can do it like the dev prefer: (i dont tried it)

Okay, I found the problem.  I has nothing to do with the db.  Not sure how we can fix it without breaking other stuff.

Yatse apparently uses the sources.xml file.

To test this:

1. You must have your database setup with direct paths

2. Find the exact path the DB is referencing for a particular server (you may need to use sqllitebrowser and look at the path table to get this)

3. Modify sources.xml and add the path like this:

<source>
            <name>Trevor Movies</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://<yourUserName>:<yourPassword>@jupiter/r/Video/Trevor Movies/</path>
        </source>

4. Restart Kodi 

5. Remove server from Yatse, re-add

6. Try to play something from the path you added to sources.xml

Problem is.. I think if we add the path to sources.xml the native scraper might start doing 'weird' stuff. @@marcelveldt @@Angelblue05 - I can't remember - any issue with having the path in sources.xml?

xnappo

But i really dont like it if my password is stored in a clear text.

So i tried a bit and get a usable solution:

1. Datasetup with Direct Paths

2. Add your samba share in Kodi but make sure you select "exclude selected folder from scan"

3. In the Emby Addon: Perform local database reset (full resync)

I dont know where kodi or yatse gets the password of the samba share (because my nas share is stored in windows 7). But it works, even after a update.

I think yatse use the http webserver and kodi just translate the samba share into a http address. Without the sambashare kodi just translate nothing. So yatse cant access the file cause the sambashare has a password. Btw. if you close kodi, the playback will stop also on your device.

I hope it works for you too

and you understood my bad english :)

Edit: I just tested: The traffic is going trough my kodi device (download and upload)

Edited by BassKing
  • Like 2

Guest burcs

None of the devs use Yatse(so we don't care a whole ton),

Well perhaps you should. For no other reason to see how incredibly lacking the emby remote is. You should use it, then borrow/copy/steal everything about it.

I came across this thread searching for a similar yet unrelated problem and this comment just irks me. I'm a guy who can't wait to throw $100 at a decent media server. But in its current state emby is not it. Not even getting into the laundry list of bugs, it needs to work closer to kodi/yatse for me to even consider paying money for it. I don't want to derail the thread but if you'd like I could expand on it.