Steverido

I guess I'm not destined to run Windows 10 anywhere.  Spent over an hour today trying to update my laptop and got nowhere.

Ran the media creation tool and it just sits there on downloading at 0% forever.  Tried all the remedies I could find on the net but still doesn't work.

Same issue here :(

shaefurr

honestly the upgrade via the media creation tool kept freezing at 50% for me on my wifes laptop. If you want to force the actual upgrade you would get via the taskbar notification, just run windows update. Once you're up to date the next time you check for updates it will say upgrade to windows 10, then it will download all the necessary files and start the regular upgrade. Not sure if anyone noticed but they look completely different, the normal upgrade reboots and has a large circle with a progress percent, the media creation tool seems to upgrade while still in windows?? Dunno if it was just mine, I tried upgrading from boot and was told to run it from windows, running from windows you can alt-tab out of it.. its odd, but as I said upgrading that way kept freezing for me.

If anyone hasn't upgraded yet id just use the windows update method unless you're doing a fresh install.

techywarrior

It's really the same. The media creation tool first downloads the updater, gets updates for the updater, download windows files, verifies the files, then I think it sets up the partition. When it is done with that it will restart into the normal Win10 update (with the big circle). The reason it looks different when you use the Windows Update method is that it already downloaded all the windows files, updater, etc. So it just needs to restart and begin the actual update process.

I updated my 5 computers so far, just 1 to go, all with the media creation tool and didn't run into any issues. Sucks that you guys are having problems downloading the files :( I was just impatient with the GWX notifier. Not sure why it didn't prompt me day 1 since I "reserved my copy' almost as soon as they started pushing that update. Just wanted my new shiny :)

Last computer to update is the Emby server. Not sure if I am going to do that one yet. Probably will wait a few months to make sure no issues with Emby etc. The machine doesn't do anything besides run Emby so not a rush.

FrostByte

I upgraded my Emby server last.  The only issue was that the upgrade deleted the "Media Browser" service which caused problems for me because I run Emby as a service.  I just reloaded Emby beta and it recreated the service with the new name which was better in the end.

trusselo

My first attempts failed due to some error, googled  and had to delete the download and windows update to re-download it.

Durring that I goofed up (tried to be smart) and lost the update message. more googling and a youtube video and a CMD command later.

Update was going again. AND FAILED.

I decided to unplug everything but 1 monitor, mouse, keyboard.

Killed all unnecessary programs, 

disabled crossfire.

Success!

and make sure you have 20gig empty on OS drive, AND your personal document folders (My Music, My Documents, My Videos ect) are restored to default location!

c0m3r

I guess I'm not destined to run Windows 10 anywhere.  Spent over an hour today trying to update my laptop and got nowhere.

Ran the media creation tool and it just sits there on downloading at 0% forever.  Tried all the remedies I could find on the net but still doesn't work.

I had this too. Stuck at 0% for well over an hour and then started to move very slowly. Just leave it going and will eventually start.

trusselo

if you are going to burn the DVD...  DO NOT do a fresh install (full wipe)

upgrade first to obtain your free upgrade. when windows 10 activates, Microsoft scan and now "know" your machine, and in the future auto activate it any time you wipe your hard drive.

And I recommend doing a fresh install after.  thats on my list tomorrow 

I had this too. Stuck at 0% for well over an hour and then started to move very slowly. Just leave it going and will eventually start.

All right I let it run while I'm out on the lake today.  Thx.

jluce50

and make sure you have 20gig empty on OS drive, AND your personal document folders (My Music, My Documents, My Videos ect) are restored to default location!

I have all my document folders on another drive and it seemed to handle that just fine.

Ok, I give up, I let run all day, twice, always never pass that 0, and do not see it in windows update as another option, so going to download the iso image.

Mine has been going for an hour and a half at 0%.  Your experience doesn't give me much hope.. :(

c0m3r

I left it for a good few hours without checking it and eventually it had started moving. Not sure when exactly it started.

trusselo

I have all my document folders on another drive and it seemed to handle that just fine.

ok for the technical preview that was a requirement. they must have worked around that.

good to know.

swhitmore

Ok, so I followed the link Sheafurr posted, downloaded the ISO. The upgrade worked on 2 PCs, but my laptop is asking for a product key. I thought it was asking for my laptops W7 key, but is failing... I assume its asking for the W10 key. My laptop has Home Premium on it, I had to do a OS recovery years ago... What seems to be the issue here??

Hi @Xzener, see this post:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/23088-windows-10/page-4&do=findComment&comment=233586

Edited by swhitmore

Xzener

Thanks buddy,

Got it installed finally. All 4 PCs updated and activated (although not to sure about the RTM build v10240 activation hack I did on my living room HTPC). Loving Windows 10 so far. Leaps and bounds better than 8.1.

• Like 1

Xzener

Does the ehome remote still work peeps??

Yes. Had to reconfigure my Harmony remote... But after Windows 10 installation, basic ehome remote functions were working.

• Like 2

What does the green button do then? I've got mine reconfigured to the windows button.. Hoping that's still possible!

Mine has been going for an hour and a half at 0%.  Your experience doesn't give me much hope.. :(

I mount the image, run setup then chose update, all went well :)

I left it for a good few hours without checking it and eventually it had started moving. Not sure when exactly it started.

I left it for over six hours and it hadn't budged.  My normal Windows update was also hosed.  I did finally get it all going though.

I had to do all the manual procedures of stopping the update services and deleting all the update files under the Windows directory, then re-start the services, then reboot then do the normal Windows Update - 3 times.  After all of that, the media creation tool started to make progress (slowly).

This was, by far, the most difficult and slow Windows upgrade I've been through in any recent memory.  Not just because of the above but the actual upgrade (after the download part) took over 3 hours.  Maybe that was due to the online nature of it but I thought that the initial download would have negated that.

I just let it sit there while I watched TV last night and checked on it every once in a while as it crept along.  The upgrade itself wasn't difficult, just really slow.

This was my laptop that I pretty much only use when I travel so it will be a while before I use it enough to know how I really like it.  I do like the look and the combination of the start menu/screen.  That has allowed me to completely clear my desktop of all icons which is really nice.

I'll be stuck on 7 on my main dev machine for the foreseeable future though.

c0m3r

I left it for over six hours and it hadn't budged.  My normal Windows update was also hosed.  I did finally get it all going though.

I had to do all the manual procedures of stopping the update services and deleting all the update files under the Windows directory, then re-start the services, then reboot then do the normal Windows Update - 3 times.  After all of that, the media creation tool started to make progress (slowly).

This was, by far, the most difficult and slow Windows upgrade I've been through in any recent memory.  Not just because of the above but the actual upgrade (after the download part) took over 3 hours.  Maybe that was due to the online nature of it but I thought that the initial download would have negated that.

I just let it sit there while I watched TV last night and checked on it every once in a while as it crept along.  The upgrade itself wasn't difficult, just really slow.

This was my laptop that I pretty much only use when I travel so it will be a while before I use it enough to know how I really like it.  I do like the look and the combination of the start menu/screen.  That has allowed me to completely clear my desktop of all icons which is really nice.

I'll be stuck on 7 on my main dev machine for the foreseeable future though.

Very strange. Not sure what the problem is to be honest as one of my machines flew through the update whereas the more powerful machine took forever. 

Steverido

Microsoft are staggering the downloads. If you registered for the free upgrade then they will notify you when you can download. There were posts online to say that they would not allow everyone to download at the same time because their servers could not cope last time and they did not want to p**s people off.

Microsoft are staggering the downloads. If you registered for the free upgrade then they will notify you when you can download. There were posts online to say that they would not allow everyone to download at the same time because their servers could not cope last time and they did not want to p**s people off.

That wasn't my issue obviously as I got it to work eventually.

What they are staggering is the automatic delivery through the normal update process.  We are all using the Media Creation tool to bypass that process.

So, somewhere there was a press release that they were comparing systems to the list of "known good" systems from the beta to keep the process running smooth. If your system was similar to one from the beta, it would get notified. As more people bypassed the queue using the Media Creation tool they were using the data to roll out the new OS to more people. Of course, server capacity could be a secondary reason, but in that case it would just max out and people would have to wait anyway.

My Surface Pro 2 was "ready" and got the update day 1, but I had to manually do my Win 7 desktop via the exe. Neither seemed to be stalled during the install, so either I was lucky or the servers were doing just fine.

Very strange. Not sure what the problem is to be honest as one of my machines flew through the update whereas the more powerful machine took forever. 

That was my experience also, but I suspect it was the number of files, applications and settings on my main computer that made the bigger difference. I recall a lot of time was spent "preparing" and "scanning" rather than downloading and installing/restarting. I was off doing other things, so it taking a few hours didn't bother me much at all. I was very surprised that pretty much all of my settings and apps from Win7 carried over, including my desktop wallpaper folder and the rotation schedule.

It is possible my issue was one of their servers simply being overloaded and it finally working after I did all the manual update cleansing was coincidental and really just a matter of my requests getting through that time.