Steverido

Headed out today to buy a new laptop for my Son for his 17th birthday.  His birthday was Monday but we figured we'd wait until today and get one with Win 10 already on it.

I, however, will be stuck in the dark ages for the foreseeable future... ;).

• Like 1

shaefurr

Just upgraded, only issue I ran into was FlexRAID would not start, its fixable but seems it will only run the storage handler and start the pool if removable=true. Just FYI for anyone out there if you get that issue.

Spaceboy

I'm going to try it on my laptop, but it's not available here yet. I don't see a download following the link above?

jasonmcroy

I have downloaded the mediacreation tool from Microsoft. Just backing up files and pictures now and then will start the upgrade on all my computers. Luckily I am not in the category as some others that use WMC as a PVR. I used it once but none of my cable channels are DRMed so I can use any PVR program I want. Now with Emby supporting my HDHomerun directly I should be all set. We'll see how it goes...

shaefurr

I'm going to try it on my laptop, but it's not available here yet. I don't see a download following the link above?

Here you go, saved you a tad of browsing from that link, just get either 32 or 64 bit version based on what OS your running now (if you're upgrading), if not choose either one. Then simply download and run it.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• Like 1

shaefurr

Anyone else think microsoft edge is insanely fast and snappy? Granted ive been using firefox which is a slower browser. Will be nice to see when it get extensions this summer so I can use stuff like adblock on it.

techywarrior

Anyone else think microsoft edge is insanely fast and snappy? Granted ive been using firefox which is a slower browser. Will be nice to see when it get extensions this summer so I can use stuff like adblock on it.

Yup, since build 10166 it's been pretty fast. Very happy with the progress... Can't wait for extensions and this forum to get updated so that quote works the first time you click it :)

Deihmos

Microsoft said the majority of people using wmc used it to play DVDs. They have released a DVD player for win 7 users and win 8 with media center users. They are also not focusing on TV features for Xbox one. At the end of the day there aren't enough people that use their pc for TV.

Edited by Deihmos

Deihmos

Yup, since build 10166 it's been pretty fast. Very happy with the progress... Can't wait for extensions and this forum to get updated so that quote works the first time you click it :)

I can't use a browser without adblock and it doesn't support extensions right now. IE had adblock but it is abysmal.

techywarrior

I can't use a browser without adblock and it doesn't support extensions right now. IE had adblock but it is abysmal.

Extensions are coming "soon" (I've read rumors of October) so I'd recommend you at least check out the browser again then. Supposed to be VERY simple to migrate FF and Chrome extensions to Edge so I would suspect you will see AdBlock and many other extensions come soon after.

shaefurr

everything carried over, custom set icons, all programs, games, settings, everything. Only thing for me was flexraid was removed from system startup, but starting it manually still works. Easy enough to fix

techywarrior

When you upgraded did you have to reinstall any programs or did it all carry over?

All my OneDrive synced files had to resync. May not be a big deal for some but others probably won't be happy with that. I only had 16.5gb synced and I have a very fast connection but I would imagine those with more synced or on metered connections may have issues.

I didn't have to do anything else. All programs, files, etc. migrated.

I would heavily recommend restarting just after you first are able to login to Win10 so that all the drivers get installed and devices are recognized.

Spaceboy

Hmm I seem to have lost the trackpad on my laptop [emoji3], luckily touchscreen is working. Acer's support website seems to be overloaded so I'm a bit stuck for now

FrostByte

Did yours activate?  Mine keeps saying try again later and the error code is blank.  Hope I didn't screw it up by forcing it to update instead of waiting.  And to make things worse I already deleted the windows.old, and windows bt/ws folders to save space :P

Edited by FrostByte

Xzener

Gonna wait... I DL'ed the Windows 10240 RTM ISO and tricked the registration process with the beta key. It says it activated, but I bought a $35 8.1 Pro key just in case. Loving W10 so far... Just not the lack of "full screen" for apps right now. Gotta click the diagonal arrow to get rid of the minimize/maximize/close buttons.

techywarrior

You can turn on Tablet Mode which will make everything always full screen (for like your HTPC) if you want.

It's in Settings -> System -> Tablet Mode

Deihmos

Tablet mode is not the same as using a tablet in win 8 where you don't see the taskbar and it has useful tablet features. Tablet mode in win 10 is just like using the desktop apps in maximised window with the taskbar visible. Microsoft decided to back track. Windows 10 is much better for desktops than tablets.

Deihmos

Oh yea? Maybe you can share with me this setting that I know does not exist. Maybe you know something the internet does not know.

Edited by Deihmos

techywarrior

Auto hide the task bar then. (same place the setting has been in since like Win NT)

I'd have to check to see how sensetive it is in regards to appearing when you move your finger near the bottom of the screen on my tablet though.

shaefurr

im surprised MS never added an option to just disable the taskbar considering how many people requested it, maybe in a future update

Deihmos

Since when does MS listen to anyone? They would have never released Win 8 if they did. As it is right now I updated my laptop but leaving Win 8.1 on surface. 

Edited by Deihmos