Steverido

im85288

Just thought I'd add my experiences here. One pc decided to update on day one then three others would not. Having seen the comment about forcing the upgrade I followed this guide: http://www.redmondpie.com/force-download-windows-10-free-upgrade-right-now-heres-how-tutorial/ and forced the other three to upgrade. Not sure if other people did not see that guide but for me it worked every time and saved on any need for using the media creation tool.

• Like 1

FrostByte

This method worked on my computers also.  I did get the dreaded 80240020 error a couple times but I think it was because the servers were busy and the files didn't download complete when the end folder size didn't match the expected size.  I'm sure things have gotten better now that the mad rush is over

Steverido

Just tried the media creation tool and mine has worked straight away. Perhaps because everyone is at work in the UK and it is still early in the US.

christoph86

I have an OEM version of Windows 7. If I upgrade to Windows 10 and later have to do a fresh install, will using the Windows 7 disk work and will I then be able to upgrade to 10 again?

I have an OEM version of Windows 7. If I upgrade to Windows 10 and later have to do a fresh install, will using the Windows 7 disk work and will I then be able to upgrade to 10 again?

Probably only if it is still within the first year.

You could use the media creation tool to create yourself a disc image of Windows 10 though.

shaefurr

I think he just meant if he upgrades now and gets his win10 key registered, can he use his win7 disk duringa future fresh install of win10 to verify his copy of windows. I honestly haven't done that in a long time, but I do remember on older copies of windows if you bought the upgrade version you got prompted to insert your older cd of windows so it could verify it. No idea if that works with windows 10.

I'd recommend you just upgrade now and use a keyfinder and write down your windows 10 product key for any future installs.

Once you're upgraded to windows 10, just run this tool and it will grab your product key for you. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/produkey.zip

Happy2Play

I'd recommend you just upgrade now and use a keyfinder and write down your windows 10 product key for any future installs.

Once you're upgraded to windows 10, just run this tool and it will grab your product key for you. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/produkey.zip

I just checked three machines I upgraded to 10 Pro and this shows they all have the same product key.

So it will be interesting on how my retail keys are going to work in the future.

Edited by Happy2Play
added content

shaefurr

I just checked three machines I upgraded to 10 Pro and this shows they all have the same product key.

So it will be interesting on how my retail keys are going to work in the future.

Thats just the way windows 10 activation is.

The key that you get from Windows is a generic installation key. You can use this when the Windows installation asks you for your licence key, which saves the installation process from repeatedly bothering you about entering it. The reason that you get a generic key from the Registry is because of the way Windows 10 handles activation. Effectively, it takes a digital fingerprint of your computer and sends that and your existing licence to Microsoft. When you perform a clean install, the same fingerprint is sent to Microsoft and it checks to see if your computer has been activated for Windows 10; if it has, your computer is activated. This means that the licence key you get from the Registry is not as important as it used to be.

• Like 2

Good day,

I think it was a mistake to update windows 7 to windows 10, but maybe thing will get better when I do clean install later this week, I know most of you know that, but for whom who did not, make sure to disable the WUDO, set it to "off" option at the windows update - advanced options (it simply used your internet bandwidth to update other pc's over the internet).

My best

• Like 2

z0mbi

Installed Win10 on all four of my machines this past weekend. No hitches, no problems, no oddities. All upgrades, no fresh installs. No problems, so far. Everything is running better than perfect. Even my old Core2Duo laptop. Quite amazed! Win10 has that 'new car smell', lol.

Steverido

I have just gone back to Windows 8.1 on my main PC. I noticed a few problems with it. First I don't like the start menu. It is not easy to configure and the search window has disappeared. I am informed that this is a bug. Cortana directs you immediately to Bing. Crap. I switched that off. I bought the Stardock Start10 software. I used Start8 on 8.1 because it gives you back the Windows 7 start menu. So that was cool.

What I found was the Homegroup was not working correctly. So I have multiple back up drives which I switch on once a week and backup then power down. Windows 10 was not seeing the drives even though it was set up correctly. I stopped sharing the drives and shared them again to no avail. It also showed the documents, music and standard Windows shared folders even though I had configured them to not be shared.

The other thing was the file explorer froze on me so I could not come out of that window without a complete reboot.

The main reason that I upgraded was that I am a music producer and wanted to upgrade my software and plugins to x64 bit. Ableton kept crashing and it was something to do with the start menu. Not sure if this was the Start10 or Windows 10. It came up with an error that it "could not connect to the server.

For me this Windows release is heavily geared to pointing the customer to buy things from Microsoft.

I have been a massive fan of Windows and have beta tested it except for 10 since XP. I never understood what all the issues were with Windows 8. I suppose for me it was made easier once I installed Start8 and then it was a fast version of Windows 7.

I have backed up the Windows 10 installation in Active Disk Image. Don't know if any of you Guys have used it but it is great for copying an image of your operating system and then restoring it if it crashes. I always make an image after a fresh install and all of my programs are installed. Fresh install every time and restored in a half hour. You just need another PC to plug the drive into to restore it.

I hear that Windows 10 is going to have a huge update soon so I will restore the image once this has happened to see if the improvements have been made.

Not sure how well this is going to work with Microsoft updating the operating system without thoroughly testing.

Has anyone else had similar issues or other issues that I have not mentioned here?

• 2 weeks later...
Xzener

What is your guys impressions on game streaming from Xbox One?? I notice a little lag, but it is playable.

I have a second XB1 in my office which I started streaming to my computer. I have both wired and I don't see much lag at all, but have noticed a dip in stream quality occasionally. I noticed more lag running the computer feed through the HDMI port on the XB1, but I was definitely using overlong cables and I assume that is for Media where the lag would be unnoticeable.

I have it set to the current best quality so it should be interesting when the "Super Quality" option is provided.

Xzener

I thought it already was. "High Quality" right? If you don't have that option, there is an easy hack to enable it.

Edited by Xzener

Maybe, I was referring to the Very High (1080p) which appears to be available without a hack now:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2972709/software-games/high-quality-1080p-xbox-one-to-pc-streaming-now-live-for-all.html

So, I have been running High Quality since the beginning, but haven't tried this out just yet. Since you said you had to hack it we may be talking about the same thing. Honestly, my monitor while capable of HDMI, probably isn't big/dense enough for it to make a huge difference. When I check my DVD rips sometimes it is hard to see artifacts that do show up on my TV.