Synology Setup

Luke

solabc16

Hi Folks !

I first tried to run Emby on my intel desktop PC and I've been convicted ! 

Now I'm trying to run it on my Synology DS414j (based on a Comcerto C2000), unfortunately the link for the Emby package for this particular CPU seems broken  :unsure:

Could you please tell me where else I can find this package ?

Thanks in advance !  :P

[EDIT] Found it !

Hello @@leforban

A native package for your platform will be coming soon, I'll let you know when the beta programme starts.

Until then, you can use the manual method, which it looks like you've found.

- James

camielkb

Great news! Emby is showing up in my Package Center. Any directions how to upgrade from an installation that is already perfectly running? 

camielkb

Hello @@camielkb

What type of Synology box do you have? Is the version you have running the original community based manual installation?

- James

I'm on a XPenology DSM 5.2-5967. I started with the original community manual installation, but would love to stay up to date with the current releases on automatic updates. Is there an update how to? Thanks! (Sorry for a bit late reply, busy days :))

solabc16

Hello @@camielkb

XPenology is fully supported now, but the minimum firmware level is 5.2-5967.

For the initial setup you can follow the instructions under the Synology section here: http://emby.media/nas-server.html

We had a couple of users on the beta test programme upgrade from an earlier firmware revision with no issues.

If you need any guidance, you could reach out to @@RobsterUK.

- James

• Like 1

RobsterUK

I'm on a XPenology DSM 5.2-5967. I started with the original community manual installation, but would love to stay up to date with the current releases on automatic updates. Is there an update how to? Thanks! (Sorry for a bit late reply, busy days :))

As @@solabc16 mentioned you should check out the Synology Wiki. Particularly this link to migrate from the community package.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-Migrating-From-the-Community-Package

I've made the switch over to the supported package on my XPENO box, without any issues so far.

I do still have the community package installed, but I have not had any issues with the supported one so far. ;)

miket5au

I have installed emby on my DS-1815 and it works fine however I had one problem.

I was setting up the metadata path prior to copying over the imagesbyname folder I was using for emby on Windows and the apply / save was hanging (I could navigate way but save never finished).

The reason was the media folders were readonly to emby because I had set up my media folders with only one user having write access to prevent accidental deletion of media after visitors dragged and dropped folders on windows and moved rather than copied them :-(. Once I gave the embysvr user write access the save of the metadata path worked fine.

solabc16

Hello @@miket5au

We haven't written a Wiki article on using custom paths (yet), but perhaps that's an article we should add in the future.

The embysvr user needs RW access to any custom paths, in the same way that it does for a typical installation, which we discuss here: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-Setting-Up-Your-Media-Library-Share

Was there a particular reason you didn't want to use the default location /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/metadata, which on a typical system maps to /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/var/metadata.

- James

solabc16

Hello All

The Emby package for all Marvell based Synology systems has been published today.

If you're not sure what processor your box has, you can check here https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-Summary-of-Models-by-Processor.

To install, follow the instructions under the Synology section here http://emby.media/nas-server.html.

As with the Intel release, migration from the community edition is supported and there is a wiki article on the process here https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-Migrating-From-the-Community-Package.

Let us know how you get on and of course, any issues check out the Synology forum.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

Hello @@miket5au

Was there a particular reason you didn't want to use the default location /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/metadata, which on a typical system maps to /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/var/metadata.

- James

No particular reason. I had lots of people images and have been using meta browser to get the metadata.

Just thought it was a useful note in case anyone else has a problem similar as emby did not return an error, it just spun its wheels until I navigated to another tab or option.

• 2 weeks later...
Heinrichxx

Helle

Tried to add repository for Sinologiy 210j (it is a Marvel Kirkwood Chip) and it wiorked but the package dös not appear. The certificate has been imported from the repository.

Do you have any idea.

Heinrich

solabc16

Hello @@Heinrichxx

Unfortunately, we don't currently have support for DSM5 on the Marvell series of Synology boxes, which affects the x10 series.

Synology's DSM cutoff point for new releases is time based, rather than technical capability.

(i.e. DSM6 is available for the Kirkwood based x11 series)

We have added support for DSM5 to the Intel based hardware now, so we can look to do the same for these platforms as well.

Best

- James

Heinrichxx

Hi @@James

Thank you as the description mentioned that all Marvell series where included 

for installation.

Is there a possibility to install beta versions and how?

Thank you

Heinrichxx

solabc16

Hello @@Heinrichxx

All of the models from 2011 through 2016 are supported, we had to wait and see if there was any interest for the 2010 models.

We had to take the same approach with Intel support, so as to make best use of avilable time and resource.

I'll PM you next week, when I'll take a look at putting together a beta package for the 2010 series Marvell hardware.

Best

- James

Heinrichxx

Hi @@James

Thank you very much for your update.

LifeCycle ist not allways done at households :)

Hope that works but at the end I might Change to a 216play

Regards

Heinrichxx

• 4 weeks later...
Hjlfmir

Hello,

I use Emby Beta on DS416 but I'd like to use the new package available.

Can you tell me how to migrate the confirguration ?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Vincent7778

Hjlfmir

Hello @solabc16

I'm on the latest stable release (3.0.8100), but using the "old" way to install Emby on a DS416 (and updating package through SSH).

I've done what you asked for.

Thanks for your help :)

solabc16

Hello @

Ah, ok, so you're running the older community based installation?

If so, then you can install the new Emby supported package in parallel, by following the instruction under the Synology section here: https://emby.media/nas-server.html

You can then migrate your configuration by following the steps in this Wiki article: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-Migrating-From-the-Community-Package

If you have any questions or need any assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

- James

• Like 1

solabc16

Hello @@Heinrichxx

The latest release (3.0.8100.0-1), which is now available in Package Center, supports DSM 5.2-5967 or later on all supported platforms.

Let us know how you get on...

Best

- James

solabc16

Hello All

For those of you following the updates closely, you may have noticed that we now have Emby supported packages for all Synology* and XPEnology platforms running DSM 5.2-5967 or later.

If you're reading this and don't have Emby Server installed, you will find everything you need to know under the Synology section here: https://emby.media/nas-server.html

I'd like to say a big thank you to all of those in the community that contributed to this effort, without which it would not have been possible.

As of writing, Emby Server for Synology/XPEnology is running on 17 different architectures and 81 different models!

Best

- James

* Support for QorIQ based machines (DS213+, DS413) is not currently possible.

• Like 3