Synology Setup

Luke

solabc16

Hello @muffassa

Although you may be running on Intel hardware, this is not a native Synology NAS as I'm sure you are aware.

As soon as XPEnology have support for DSM6, you will have able to install the package as detailed here: https://emby.media/nas-server.html.

Until then, you can try using the manual install/update process detailed here: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22921-synology-setup/?p=224173

- James

Edited by solabc16
  • Like 1

Nic_J001

Hi @solabc16

Hi James

- SSH to your Synology box and login as 'admin'.
- Switch to root with 'sudo -i'.
- Remove any existing downloads, e.g. 'rm Emby.Mono.zip*'
- Grab the latest server release, e.g. 'wget https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases/download/3.0.6030/Emby.Mono.zip'.
- Stop Emby, using 'stop pkgctl-emby'.
- Extract the updated files, assuming default location, with '7z x Emby.Mono.zip -o/volume1/@appstore/emby/share/emby -y'.
- Start Emby, using 'start pkgctl-emby'.

Managed to run the instructions above minus the rm Emby.Mono.zip and showed the following:

Everything is Ok

Folders: 394
Files: 1544
Size:       39708862
Compressed: 15346890

root@JFK:~# start pkgctl-emby
pkgctl-emby start/running

root@JFK:~#

I have now gone into Package Centre and looked at my Installed packages. The Emby Beta shows there but is showing as Stopped. When I click on it to open the package it shows the version number as 3.0.5934-6 and is Stopped.

I I open the Action drop down and Run it it shows the Loading Icon for a few seconds and then returns to Stopped.

If all is well should it not show as Running and should the version number not be 3.0.6030?

Thanks

Nic 

nick naim

I just migrated from the beta community package to the official emby server release on my DS415+. Thanks to the migration tool and the instructions from @@solabc16 in the wiki, it was a breeze! Thank you for the great work!

dimitrik

I have added the Emby repo on package center but I see no packages to install at all. I've even enabled beta and still nothing.

I should note that I have not added cytek, mono or imagemagick since they are not mentioned anywhere in the instructions on the Emby for NAS webpage (though I see them mentioned in this thread).

I have a DS 1010+ with a dual core intel atom CPU running DSM 5.2 (this is the last version supported on this model). Am I missing something or is there my setup not supported?

Thanks!

horstepipe

hey @@solabc16

should the password for the automatically created user "embysvr" be changed?

Because the user has full access to the whole collection it should be a safe one...?

solabc16

Hello @@horstepipe

A quick recap on some previous notes: "The Emby Server package for Synology now uses a standard user, which has no ability to remote login via SSH, for example. This also means the user is visible, which makes it easier to configure appropriate permissions on the shared folders you use in your Emby library path configuration."

Regarding the password, it's set at the time of install and is generated once on the fly by the installer, it is not known to anybody and is not stored anywhere in any form.

The password is generated using the following, which should be sufficient for the intended purpose:-

$(< /dev/urandom tr -dc [=-=][=_=]A-Za-z0-9 | head -c64)

Best

- James

• Like 1

horstepipe

Hello @@horstepipe

A quick recap on some previous notes: "The Emby Server package for Synology now uses a standard user, which has no ability to remote login via SSH, for example. This also means the user is visible, which makes it easier to configure appropriate permissions on the shared folders you use in your Emby library path configuration."

Regarding the password, it's set at the time of install and is generated once on the fly by the installer, it is not known to anybody and is not stored anywhere in any form.

The password is generated using the following, which should be sufficient for the intended purpose:-

$(< /dev/urandom tr -dc [=-=][=_=]A-Za-z0-9 | head -c64)

Best

- James

Thank you,

Just a question for understanding:

Why do you only provide Emby beta releases, don't you just "double" the risk that something goes wrong for the new Synology package?

solabc16

Hello @@horstepipe

Can you re-phrase/clarify the question, as we only provide stable releases to the public by default?

Beta releases are only available to a closed group that requires an explicit opt-in, see https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-Accessing-Beta-and-Development-Releases.

- James

Edited by solabc16

horstepipe

Hello @@horstepipe

Can you re-phrase/clarify the question, as we only provide stable releases to the public by default?

Beta releases are only available to a closed group that requires an explicit opt-in, see https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-Accessing-Beta-and-Development-Releases.

- James

I'm having a Synology DS414 (ArmadaXP) and you granted me access to the testing group.

My thoughts are that what should be tested is the Emby for Synology package per se, so we should better use a stable release of Emby.

Because now I'm running the (maybe bugged) ArmadaXP package + the (maybe bugged) beta release.

Hope you understand what I mean :-)

solabc16

Hello @@horstepipe

Ok, I follow... the answer is 'it depends' on what we're testing at the time, as we iron out the dependencies between the platform specific components and Emby Server itself.

Probably a conversation to be continued on the private development thread, so we keep the main focus of this thread on supporting the publicly available versions.

Best

-James

• Like 1

dimitrik

I have added the Emby repo on package center but I see no packages to install at all. I've even enabled beta and still nothing.

I should note that I have not added cytek, mono or imagemagick since they are not mentioned anywhere in the instructions on the Emby for NAS webpage (though I see them mentioned in this thread).

I have a DS 1010+ with a dual core intel atom CPU running DSM 5.2 (this is the last version supported on this model). Am I missing something or is there my setup not supported?

Thanks!

So, is it correct to assume that only DSM 6 is supported?

solabc16

Evening @@dimitrik

Sorry I didn't pick this message up sooner, yes at this time DSM6 is minimum supported firmware level.

As mentioned elsewhere, we'll continue to monitor demand to see if it's worth building for DSM 5.2.

It's unfortunate regarding the DS1010+ as it has the same processor as the DS411+, which is supported by DSM6.

- James

dimitrik

Evening @@dimitrik

Sorry I didn't pick this message up sooner, yes at this time DSM6 is minimum supported firmware level.

As mentioned elsewhere, we'll continue to monitor demand to see if it's worth building for DSM 5.2.

It's unfortunate regarding the DS1010+ as it has the same processor as the DS411+, which is supported by DSM6.

- James

Many thanks James.

I understand it makes sense to support it on the latest platform.

Perhaps synology will change their minds about updating the DS1010+ to DSM6 at some point...

solabc16

Hello @dimitrik

That would make a lot of owners happy I'm sure, as Synology's cut-off is based purely on age rather than technical merit.

- James

• 2 weeks later...
tomdh76

Hello , I have a problem installing plugins on my D 916+ with  emby server 3.0.6070.0-1. It keeps returning error message: the remote server returned an error  : (403) Forbidden. I have Emby premiere. 

solabc16

Hello All

For Intel based systems, package release 3.0.6070.0-1 is now available.

As well as updating Emby Server to the latest stable, also adds support for DSM version 5.2-5967 on Synology and XPEnology systems.

Best

- James

Original Post: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/34866-synology-package-in-development/?p=357529

tomdh76

Hello @@tomdh76

Are you still experiencing the issue? I haven't managed to re-create it on a test system here.

If so, please can you send your logs: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs

- James

Hello James,

Yes still having this issue. A minute ago tried to install trakt plugin and its is forbidden. I have send the logs:

sendlogs_denheijersyn_synology_braswell_916+_20160820T110013UTC.tgz 

Thanks

Pirlo1966

Thank you all who made this integration possible with synology. What a nice suprise after returning from holidays!

solabc16

Hello James,

Yes still having this issue. A minute ago tried to install trakt plugin and its is forbidden. I have send the logs:

sendlogs_denheijersyn_synology_braswell_916+_20160820T110013UTC.tgz 

Thanks

Hello @@tomdh76

Are you still experiencing the problem today? I've checked through the logs and the issue isn't with the Emby Server package itself.

The error is being returned from the server hosting the plugin you're trying to install:-

2016-08-20 09:19:19.2076 Error HttpClient: Error getting response from http://embydata.com/admin/service/packageFiles/Trakt.dll_3.0.6021.26344.exe
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 3.0.6070.0
    Command line: /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin/ffprobe
    Operating system: Unix 3.10.77.0
    Processor count: 4
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    Program data path: /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var
    Mono: 4.4.2 (Stable 4.4.2.11/f72fe45 Tue  2 Aug 20:01:59 UTC 2016)
    Application Path: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/releases/v3.0.6070/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
    The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.
    System.Net.WebException
      at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse (IAsyncResult asyncResult) <0x415f0530 + 0x001a7> in <filename unknown>:0
      at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1[TResult].FromAsyncCoreLogic (IAsyncResult iar, System.Func`2 endFunction, System.Action`1 endAction, System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization) <0x415ef000 + 0x00093> in <filename unknown>:0
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
      at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw () <0x418b1c10 + 0x0002b> in <filename unknown>:0
      at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x418b19b0 + 0x000d3> in <filename unknown>:0
      at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x418b1900 + 0x00097> in <filename unknown>:0
      at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x4128bc20 + 0x0003b> in <filename unknown>:0
      at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable`1+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter[TResult].GetResult () <0x412d34c0 + 0x00017> in <filename unknown>:0
      at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager+<GetTempFileResponse>d__34.MoveNext () <0x414f3c80 + 0x00aa7> in <filename unknown>:0

If you are still experiencing the problem, I'd suggest getting in touch with the plugin maintainer and seeking their advice.

Best

- James

tomdh76

Hello @@tomdh76

Are you still experiencing the problem today? I've checked through the logs and the issue isn't with the Emby Server package itself.

The error is being returned from the server hosting the plugin you're trying to install:-

2016-08-20 09:19:19.2076 Error HttpClient: Error getting response from http://embydata.com/admin/service/packageFiles/Trakt.dll_3.0.6021.26344.exe
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 3.0.6070.0
    Command line: /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin/ffprobe
    Operating system: Unix 3.10.77.0
    Processor count: 4
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    Program data path: /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var
    Mono: 4.4.2 (Stable 4.4.2.11/f72fe45 Tue  2 Aug 20:01:59 UTC 2016)
    Application Path: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/releases/v3.0.6070/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
    The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.
    System.Net.WebException
      at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse (IAsyncResult asyncResult) <0x415f0530 + 0x001a7> in <filename unknown>:0
      at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1[TResult].FromAsyncCoreLogic (IAsyncResult iar, System.Func`2 endFunction, System.Action`1 endAction, System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization) <0x415ef000 + 0x00093> in <filename unknown>:0
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
      at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw () <0x418b1c10 + 0x0002b> in <filename unknown>:0
      at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x418b19b0 + 0x000d3> in <filename unknown>:0
      at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x418b1900 + 0x00097> in <filename unknown>:0
      at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x4128bc20 + 0x0003b> in <filename unknown>:0
      at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable`1+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter[TResult].GetResult () <0x412d34c0 + 0x00017> in <filename unknown>:0
      at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager+<GetTempFileResponse>d__34.MoveNext () <0x414f3c80 + 0x00aa7> in <filename unknown>:0

If you are still experiencing the problem, I'd suggest getting in touch with the plugin maintainer and seeking their advice.

Best

- James

Hello James,

I found out what the problem is. I have a VPN connection to private internet access and if I have his VPN connected I cannot download and install plugins (probably due to the fact that the external IP is unknown?)  If it is disconnected I can install the plugins..

Thx

leforban

Hi Folks !

I first tried to run Emby on my intel desktop PC and I've been convicted ! 

Now I'm trying to run it on my Synology DS414j (based on a Comcerto C2000), unfortunately the link for the Emby package for this particular CPU seems broken  :unsure:

Could you please tell me where else I can find this package ?

Thanks in advance !  :P

[EDIT] Found it !

Edited by leforban