Synology Setup

Luke

solabc16

Thanks James.  I didn't realize that the updated version of ImageMagick was only meant for Intel based machines.  I have been using it on my ARM based NAS since it was posted.  Whoops.

No problem, I suspect you will have just seen this happening in the log:-

2016-03-05 10:54:20.5555 Error App: Error loading ImageMagick. Will revert to GDI.
2016-03-05 10:54:20.5732 Error App: Error loading GDI. Will revert to NullImageEncoder.
2016-03-05 10:54:36.5248 Error CoverArt: ImageMagick unavailable. CoverArt requires ImageMagick

Unless there was another viable version in the search path.

- James

Edited by solabc16

solabc16

Hi All

FWIW DS1515+ 6GB RAM DSM 6.0.1-7393 Update 2

install went smooth and with no hitches

works fine as well

many thanks to those involved

Thanks for the feedback @@waughd.

- James

DarWun

Installation

3. Download and Install ffmpeg from here: http://cytec.us/syno/test-spk/ffmpeg/

4. Download and Install emby from here: http://cytec.us/syno/test-spk/emby/

Hi DarWun,

Thanks for the help and apologies for the Noob questions in advance but I am very new to all of this and still learning. I have downloaded ffmpeg to my computer and tried to do the same for the emby version for my CPU by clicking on the link therein i.e. emby_armada370-5.1_3.0.5724.5-5.spk .

I simply get an error message as follows:

Hrm.

Wayback Machine doesn't have that page archived.

Want to search for all archived pages underhttp://cytec.us/syno/test-spk/emby/ ?

What should I do here, follow the link above or click one of the buttons above this error message for "Latest" or "Show All."

Also how do I actually install ffmpeg and emby as stated in steps 3 and 4?

Some of the issues I had getting emby up on running on my DS414 NAS are starting to come back to me.  The version of emby for synology was updated at one point, but the link in the instructions was not updated to point to the new version.  The most recent version (as far as I am aware) for a NAS with an armada xp processor can be found at the following location:

http://cytec.us/syno/test-spk/emby/3.0.5934.6/emby_armadaxp-5.2_3.0.5934-6.spk

To install it and ffmpeg, select Manual Install from the Package Center in the Synology DSM web interface.  Then select the ffmpeg and emby files you download from Cytec.

Edited by DarWun

solabc16

Thanks for the reply James! I know what is wrong now. Running on a Xpenology too and just seen that it is only working on DSM6, wich isn't available yet. I'll just wait and stick to the old way! 

Hi @camielkb

I'm keeping an eye on what XPEnology are up to, it was something we discussed early on as part of the package development thread.

XPEnology are somewhat constrained by Synology publishing the source for DSM6, which I know was slowing down progress.

There are improvements in DSM6 that we take advantage of, hence why this was set as the baseline for the package, along with it being supported across a broad set of the Synology h/w.

I know there is a reasonable amount of interest from other XPEnology users, so we will continue to monitor.

-James

DarWun

No problem, I suspect you will have just seen this happening in the log:-

2016-03-05 10:54:20.5555 Error App: Error loading ImageMagick. Will revert to GDI.
2016-03-05 10:54:20.5732 Error App: Error loading GDI. Will revert to NullImageEncoder.
2016-03-05 10:54:36.5248 Error CoverArt: ImageMagick unavailable. CoverArt requires ImageMagick

Unless there was another viable version in the search path.

- James

I've didn't have any issues with CoverArt after following the ImageMagick update instructions, so I never looked in the log.  I just took a look and I don't have the above error.  But there are a number of lines that say "Info ImageMagick: ImageMagick version: ImageMagick 6.9.1-9 Q8 armle 2016-05-31".  So I must have screwed something up when updating.  Which in this case, turns out to be a good thing.  What I find weird is that the files currently under "@appstore/imagemagick" are identical to those that are in the "imagemagick-6.9.3-7_Q8.tar.gz" archive.  I deleted the backup files of the original imagemagick install that were under "_pkgcenter_imagemagick", so there shouldn't be a viable version left for Emby to find.

solabc16

I've didn't have any issues with CoverArt after following the ImageMagick update instructions, so I never looked in the log.  I just took a look and I don't have the above error.  But there are a number of lines that say "Info ImageMagick: ImageMagick version: ImageMagick 6.9.1-9 Q8 armle 2016-05-31".  So I must have screwed something up when updating.  Which in this case, turns out to be a good thing.  What I find weird is that the files currently under "@appstore/imagemagick" are identical to those that are in the "imagemagick-6.9.3-7_Q8.tar.gz" archive.  I deleted the backup files of the original imagemagick install that were under "_pkgcenter_imagemagick", so there shouldn't be a viable version left for Emby to find.

Evening @@DarWun

Interesting indeed, if you want to solve the mystery, try the following:-

- SSH to your box and login as 'admin'.
- Run 'sudo find / -type l -name "libMagickWand-6.Q8.so"'.

You likely find an (oldish) version shipped with DSM.

- James

DarWun

Evening @@DarWun

Interesting indeed, if you want to solve the mystery, try the following:-

- SSH to your box and login as 'admin'.
- Run 'sudo find / -type l -name "libMagickWand-6.Q8.so"'.

You likely find an (oldish) version shipped with DSM.

- James

Well, that explains it (I think).  In addition to the version 6.9.3-7 copy of the file I expected to find under "@appstore/imagemagick/lib/", there was a version 6.9.3-1 copy from the original synocommunity install stored in "/usr/lib/".

solabc16

Packages wouldn't normally write files to that location, so I suspect in this case it is a version of the library that is shipped with DSM(6).

I see this on one of the test systems here running DSM6, and this system is 'clean'...

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      27 Jun  7 19:56 /usr/lib/libMagickCore-6.Q8.so -> libMagickCore-6.Q8.so.2.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      27 Jun  7 19:56 /usr/lib/libMagickCore-6.Q8.so.2 -> libMagickCore-6.Q8.so.2.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4110784 May 31 11:35 /usr/lib/libMagickCore-6.Q8.so.2.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      27 Jun  7 19:56 /usr/lib/libMagickWand-6.Q8.so -> libMagickWand-6.Q8.so.2.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      27 Jun  7 19:56 /usr/lib/libMagickWand-6.Q8.so.2 -> libMagickWand-6.Q8.so.2.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1029408 May 31 11:35 /usr/lib/libMagickWand-6.Q8.so.2.0.0

None of the other typical components of ImageMagick are present, just these two libraries and you will notice they have similiar date/time stamps to other files present in this directory.

- James

Evening @@KRULL

My first suggestion is to get back to where you were before by stopping the new package and starting the version you already have installed. Let me know how that goes and we'll take it from there.

- James

Hi @@solabc16 I did that, and most of the Movie images were missing again, but after rescanning it added artwork, of course not the stuff I had manually added, that is all gone. If I restore the metadata backup folder again, from before all of these problems, I should get it all back shouldn't I?

On restarting Syno Beta package:

Hvrltqd.png

Library scan complete:

OcvyrZw.jpg

Dogs in Space, on the second row, I know I had a custom poster image & logo for that, now the poster is different, and no logo.

Edited by KRULL

Nic_J001

HI All,

Thanks to all that have guided me through so far and I think I am almost there. I am at the last stage and have been able to download the file: emby_armada370-5.2_3.0.5934-6.spk to my PC and then whilst on Community used Manual Install to browse to the file to upload.

I am asked to confirm settings for Emby 3.0.5934-6 and Apply. It then runs updating.

Switching to Installed on Package Centre I can see the Emby Beta in the list but is is showing as Stopped not Running. If I click on it it opens the Emby Beta's Description with the ability to Run or Install, Status, Developer, Version, Installed Volume and Log. If I chose to Run it will show Loading but then stops and goes back to the Description showing as stopped.

Updating

See this thread - http://emby.media/co...n-dsm6-systems/

Now I assume that this is where I need to follow the updating thread shown above but that is where my knowledge lets me down and I show my Noob credentials once again.

Can anyone walk a novice through whatever is being described here as I assume I have to do some sort of editing of the emby_armada370-5.2_3.0.5934-6.spk file package, which I do not know how to do, to get it up and running successfully. Assumption should be I know nothing...............which is very true!

Thanks

Nic

solabc16

Hello @@Nic_J001

Definitely no need to edit the SPK file. On non-Intel Synology boxes, once you have everything else in place, to update the Emby Server software follow the instructions here: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/34516-updating-emby-on-dsm6-systems/?p=326672

Replace the 3.0.5934 on fourth line with the version that you wish to update to.

e.g. Assuming you want the latest, this would become:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases/download/3.0.6020/Emby.Mono.zip

- James

Edited by solabc16

Nic_J001

Hi @@solabc16

James,

The bit I am not grasping is where do I go to make the edit and ultimately what document or code am I editing. Is it a file that I would go into and edit in Notepad or do I have to open a command line somewhere?

Sorry mate but I really am stuck here as I am a complete novice so I do not know what SSH is, or how to switch to root with 'sudo-i, or how to remove any existing downloads, etc. I do not know where to go to do these things?

- SSH to your Synology box and login as 'admin'.
- Switch to root with 'sudo -i'.
- Remove any existing downloads, e.g. 'rm Emby.Mono.zip*'
- Grab the latest server release, e.g. 'wget https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases/download/3.0.5934/Emby.Mono.zip'.
- Stop Emby, using 'stop pkgctl-emby'.
- Extract the updated files, assuming default location, with '7z x Emby.Mono.zip -o/volume1/@appstore/emby/share/emby -y'.
- Start Emby, using 'start pkgctl-emby'.

Again any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Nic

PCDesmond

Quick question,

I believe I am still running the old spk package that required me to WinSCP into the DS1815+ to update it.  Can I simple add the new repository and update to the newest server package and keep all my settings?

Thanks

solabc16

Quick question,

I believe I am still running the old spk package that required me to WinSCP into the DS1815+ to update it.  Can I simple add the new repository and update to the newest server package and keep all my settings?

Thanks

Hello @@PCDesmond

The new Emby supported package (https://emby.media/nas-server.html) will install in parallel to the original community package, it will not touch the existing installation/configuration.

The new package includes a migration utility that will transfer your settings across, this needs to be run manually.

Once you have the new package installed (no need to run through the setup wizard) send me a PM and I'll walk you through it.

- James

Edited by solabc16

Nic_J001

Hi @solabc16

Been doing some research so I now know what SSH is and have downloaded PuTTY so I think I have answered my own question of what I use as a means to follow the instructions at http://emby.media/co...stems/?p=326672

I have been able to login and to switch to root with sudo -i.

Tried to Remove any existing downloads, e.g. 'rm Emby.Mono.zip*'

Again hit a barrier in understanding as message returned is rm: cannot remove 'Emby.Mono.zip*' : No such file or directory.

Now I assume this is because the file I am asking to be removed is not called 'Emby.Mono.zip*'

Can you guide me from this point at what file I need to request the removal of given the version I installed was emby_armada370-5.2_3.0.5934-6.spk?

Again apologies for my lack of understanding.

solabc16

Hi @@Nic_J001

Well done, no need for apologies.

The message "No such file or directory" is ok to ignore, in this case it just means that there weren't any previous downloads that needed to be removed before downloading the latest version.

- James

sankukace

The new package includes a migration utility that will transfer your settings across, this needs to be run manually.

Once you have the new package installed (no need to run through the setup wizard) send me a PM and I'll walk you through it.

Hi, 

I'm French , excuse my english.

How make for update old package https://cytec.us/spk/ without lost my library and my parameters ?

Do i remove = mono, mediainfo, imagemagick, ... ?

Thanks.

Vincent

Syno 415+ with DSM 6

Edited by sankukace

Darkjeje

Salut,

Si tu peux installer le nouvel Emby alors tu l'installes en suivant la procédure.

Puis une fois fonctionnel, tu suis la procédure de transfert de tes anciens paramètres sur ton nouveau serveur Emby.

Le nouveau Emby est totalement indépendant de l'ancien, tu peux donc installer les deux, mais tu ne peux en utiliser qu'un seul à la fois.

Donc installation du nouveau, puis migration des paramètres, puis désinstallation de l'ancien Emby et enfin desinstallation des packets liés (mono,...) si tu ne t'en sers pas pour autre chose.

Jérem

solabc16

Bonjour @@sankukace

Merci @@Darkjeje, qui est une très bonne explication! Vous avez capturé les détails très bien.

Voir mon post ci-dessous, comme je l'ai maintenant publié un article sur le Wiki.

- James

sankukace

Bonjour,

Merci @@solabc16 et Darkjeje.

Avec l'article wiki de migration, impeccable.

Merci encore.

-----------

Hi,

Thanks @@solabc16 and Darkjeje.

With article on the Wiki for migration, impeccable.

Thanks again.

Vincent