OTA EPG

Scot

scope99

we are looking into xml tv support although i can't offer an eta

That is great news Luke. Thank you.

Australian users might find this free xml tv electronic guide useful when emby supports xml tv: http://freepg.tv/

• Like 1

MadibaJ

Freepg would be a great resource and being able to use it in Emby would be very welcome by us Aussie users.

It is worth mentioning that Emby would still need to fetch the file from a web address and unzip it.

• Like 2

Freepg would be a great resource and being able to use it in Emby would be very welcome by us Aussie users.

It is worth mentioning that Emby would still need to fetch the file from a web address and unzip it.

I think we would be looking to support the xmltv format and leave the sourcing of that up to the user.

Vidman

Would it be possible for a plugin? It would be nice to have it all automated with emby rather than figuring out how to automate it ourselves and feeding it to emby

Would it be possible for a plugin? It would be nice to have it all automated with emby rather than figuring out how to automate it ourselves and feeding it to emby

Either internally or for a plug-in it would depend on what the actual source of the data is and its public availability.

denz

Icetv an Australian guide provider has released their api and they said with this it will be possible to implement thumbnail of shows this was one of my questions. Unfortunately I am not a programmer so it doesnt mean much to me.

Edited by denz

Icetv an Australian guide provider has released their api and they said with this it will be possible to implement thumbnail of shows this was one of my questions. Unfortunately I am not a programmer so it doesnt mean much to me.

They've made it public and free?

Last time we talked to them, they charged a pretty penny for this data.

denz

Hi Ebr,

I am not sure this is from their announcement

Hi Everyone,

We are please to announce that we have just released the documentation for the IceTV EPG and Smart Recording API.

With this documentation it is possible for PVR projects to be able to integrate into IceTV's EPG and Smart Recording service.

To be able to utilize the service an application developer will need to be apply for a developer key, this can be done by emailing developer@icetv.com.au (this is detailed in the documentation).

The documentation can be found at http://developer.icetv.com.au/

• 1 month later...
bassistgak

Great to see so many parties trying to get this across the line. Really hanging for an Australian TV guide for my Hd Homerun using Emby live TV.

From the thread seems:

• Schedules direct is a maybe for Australia.
  • xml, schedule getting worked on. 
  • Ice Tv, another valid option/avenue.

Watching this thread closely, let me know if there is anything i can provide in logs or do to assist. 

Keep up the great work guys!!!!

bassistgak

Thanks for the scan. I've been looking at the guide data source that we have (our upstream) and how feasible it would be to add AU / NZ data. I should have some sample data / lineups available shortly, but they'd be more for demonstration purposes because it won't be updated every day.

@@rkulagow

So how is the Australia EPG going on Schedules direct, do we stand a chance of getting it in a working format? I have done the survey on schedules direct as suggested, to request EPG for Australia, as I believe most of the Aussies on this forum have. How many people do you need before you consider publishing Australian EP feasible?

Edited by bassistgak

bassistgak

@rkulagow

And advice or updates on schedules direct for Australia?

Please take my money, willing to pay schedules direct for the service so I can get the Guide date in Emby TV.

I think the issue is that the data is expensive and they need to see enough demand ahead of time. If there were a way to assess demand from both the emby and kodi crowds that would probably help.

MadibaJ

I don't want to sound like a stuck record here, most backends support xmltv. Give EPGCollector a try. It's free and does a very good job.

If you're not using a backend then maybe Emby needs to support Xmltv as its easily available and free. (Try freepg.tv or again EPGCollector)

bassistgak

@@Luke

I totally understand schedules direct need for demand, and filled out the survey requesting it on schedules direct as indicated so they can gauge demand. It would be good to know if Australla stands as chance though, that way if not Emby TV can work on getting either XML or ICE Tv going for us poor Aussies that want to use Emby TV with the EPG.

Keep up the great work mate.

@@MadibaJ

Which backend are you currently using?

denz

Emby doesn't support import or XMLTV files so there is no point of using epgcollector if you cannot import it into Emby. A developer has started the work to import xmltv files but looks like it hit a issue and on github last entry is sometime back in February.

Australia has a very good provider ICETV but we just need the facility to be able to import it into Emby so we can use native pvr client.

There is probable not enough people asking ICETV maybe they would have started to explore import into emby and the same goes to schedules direct.

There is also another guide data provider in Silicondust DVR project. A month ago I noticed that Kodi on the pi can access the guide data with full metadata and thumbnails for many Australian shows. If Kodi can access it emby should be able to access it as well it just requires a programer to do the work to import it into Emby. The only issues will this guide data be available to other programs once the DVR project is publicly released.

I thought that project would be great but it doesn't have a grid guide and it is just useless to me and will no longer supporter it unless it is for the guide data that can be used in Emby.

Edited by denz
  • Like 1

bassistgak

I use the Mediaportal backend with MPExtended.

cheers, i have used Server WMC and next pvr in my time and they work, but I would like to be able to use the native Emby TV, which as @@denz indicates, cannot use xmltv (yet) :).

To be honest I jumped ship to Kodi as my front end a couple of months back and the tv function and EPG is stellar in that with the HD Homerun. But i'm always looking to come back to EMBY theatre and since it recently got an upgrade, it has perked up my interest to come back to theatre, the only thing that is stopping me is the EPG in the native Emby TV and waiting for some mad skins like the old EMBY classic had.

Edited by bassistgak

MadibaJ

Emby doesn't support import or XMLTV files so there is no point of using epgcollector if you cannot import it into Emby. A developer has started the work to import xmltv files but looks like it hit a issue and on github last entry is sometime back in February.

Australia has a very good provider ICETV but we just need the facility to be able to import it into Emby so we can use native pvr client.

There is probable not enough people asking ICETV maybe they would have started to explore import into emby and the same goes to schedules direct.

Is xmltv import not a feature Emby should look to implement as the more easily TV guide data is available the more Emby TV users will be created? Why does it need to be a third party app?

I have nothing against IceTV it's a good service who provide good data, and they can provide an xmltv file, the issue is on Embys side not being able to import it.

Mediaportal has a plugin called xmltv which imports icetv data. Google 'import icetv into mediaportal'.

• Like 1

MadibaJ

cheers, i have used Server WMC and next pvr in my time and they work, but I would like to be able to use the native Emby TV, which as @@denz indicates, cannot use xmltv (yet) :).

To be honest I jumped ship to Kodi as my front end a couple of months back and the tv function and EPG is stellar in that with the HD Homerun. But i'm always looking to come back to EMBY theatre and since it recently got an upgrade, it has perked up my interest to come back to theatre, the only thing that is stopping me is the EPG in the native Emby TV and waiting for some mad skins like the old EMBY classic had.

I currently have MP installed and mainly use Kodi as the interface is customisable. I then also have MPextended and Emby theatre installed which I play with. When the Skins start to make ET more customisable I'll do the switch.

denz

@@MadibaJ I agree with you it shouldn't need a third party since xmltv is a standard I guess it comes down the priorities and this one looks like it is right at the bottom. It needs a member to step up who has the time and expertise to integrate it in emby server.

Strudo76

Well I kinda hope that if they are going to get something running, they start making some noise about it sooner rather than later. The end of the free Windows 10 upgrade is approaching, and I need something to replace WMC by then. It's not looking like there isn't anything coming on the Emby front, which means I'll need to be looking for a replacement. It's really just the PVR with EPG that I'm bound to WMC, as it's really suits my needs exactly. However, if changing my entire media centre setup would enable me to get what I want when I move that PC to Windows 10, that's what will happen.

I know I'm not a premium member yet, so not in any position to make demands, but I'm waiting to make sure it's going to suit my needs, which at this stage doesn't seem to be on the roadmap.

denz

Unfortunately Emby Theater is not ready to replace WMC and I doubt it will any time soon unless the developers just concentrate on Theater which is unlikely to happen. There are still a lot of bugs that I am finding luckily none of them are crash bugs. This topic was started last year and there are other threads on xmltv that have been started even longer.

Unfortunately currently there aren't any alternatives paid or open source that are reliable as WMC. I tried Mediaportal too many UI crashes but recording works great and you can record multiple channels on the same mux so you need less tuners, Kodi is reliable but it doesn't have built in PVR unless they work with HDHomeRun to enable recording currently they user HDHomeRund guide and it is working perfectly on the Pi and the channel change is almost instantaneous where in Emby it is a second behind but that is not a deal breaker I am more than happy with the current channel change speed.

Jriver not user friendly. HDHomerun  DVR was the one that I thought will be a replacement have been testing it a lot then discovered that they will not have a grid guide so no point using it any more. So the only hope is that Emby will come up with the goods to replace WMC.   

Edited by denz

Trevor68

Really, I thought IceTV went belly up? While Emby doesn't support XMLTV files, NextPVR does, so you can use NextPVR as your source backend for Emby, and EPG Collector to add tonnes more data to it.

I did this myself late last year, but struck a few issues getting EPG Collector to play nicely with NextPVR, so gave up and went back to ServerWMC as the provider. I believe these were things I could have beaten with some help from the NextPVR forums in the long term, so will actually be revisiting this setup next month to see if I can get it working before the Win10 deadline.

Alternatively, I will simply upgrade to 10 anyhow, and see how the "hacked" WMC performs.