OTA EPG

Scot

denz

They are back in business they tried to develop their own pvr hardware and there were issues and it caused them to go to voluntary administration luckily they have been able to separate their guide data and start a new business. I use WMC and serverwmc and I am very happy at the moment and have no plans to upgrade to Win 10. Win 7 will still be supported for 5 years so in that time hopefully emby or some other software will come on the market that will be better than WMC.

lja

@@Luke

Prior to the last two upgrades (5949,5950), all my logos appeared in the Guide and channels the same size. The Channel logos are still showing the same . However in the Guide some are appearing as indicated hereunder.

SERVER

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19298307/channels.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19298307/guide.JPG

EMBY THEATER

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19298307/ETGuide.JPG

As an example, In the Guide, MeTV now shows larger than that of This TV but under Channels they are both the same size. All the logos are the same width.

Is there anything I can adjust without changing the size of the actual logos? Thanks.

Edited by lja

bassistgak

Hi @@Luke

Not sure if this has been answered before, but why cant emby tv pull guide data from the Hdhomerun?

Currenty the unofficial Hdhomerun pvr client in Kodi pulls guide data from the hd homerun, it also presents it in a grid view as well.

Hi @@Luke

Not sure if this has been answered before, but why cant emby tv pull guide data from the Hdhomerun?

Because we aren't licensed to do so.

This data is not free - no matter where you are getting it from.  It takes a lot of people a lot of time and effort to assemble, package and make available all of this information.

It is in Australia :-)

I was referring specifically to the data coming from the HDHR and other sources in this case.

However, I read somewhere last year that y'alls free access to this may be going away soon.  Can't find the reference right now though...

Trevor68

yeah, there is a thing called "Freeview Plus" which I don't know much about but clearly isn't going to be free. For now though EPG Collector can pull the freeview data easily enough. It's what ServerWMC pulls from WMC.

bassistgak

Because we aren't licensed to do so.

This data is not free - no matter where you are getting it from.  It takes a lot of people a lot of time and effort to assemble, package and make available all of this information.

Thanks @@ebr

HD Homerun provide an EPG for free as part of their hardware. From discussion with Silicon Dust they do not use the free OTA EPG but have an EPG provider they get the information from and then use, (haven't been able to get what provider they use out of them though).

If may be a grey area legally, but since Emby TV is leveraging the HD Homerun hardware to work, and the HD Homerun provides the EPG as part of this service to legitimate customers who have purchased their hardware, then I do not see the line Emby TV is taking between using their hardware and not the provided EPG from Silicon Dust.

Probably not going to change your mind but i thought it was a valid discussion point.

Edited by bassistgak

It's not our decision to make. The license that Silicon Dust paid for the data they have probably does not allow them to open it up like that. In fact for them to do that would probably cost them more which would in turn increase your cost anyway.

bassistgak

It's not our decision to make. The license that Silicon Dust paid for the data they have probably does not allow them to open it up like that. In fact for them to do that would probably cost them more which would in turn increase your cost anyway.

Fair enough, funnily their guide is constantly wrong for Australia at the moment  (a bunch of us Australian owners are working with them at the moment, providing data so they can fix).

Thanks for taking they time to anwser my questions guys. 

So at the moment, for Emby TV and an Australian EPG we have to wait until Emby TV leverages an xml epg, but there is currently no date on when this could happen.

Trevor68

I'm not sure what the problem is? EPG Collector works in australia, and you can use NextPVR as the backend. Guess I'm missing something?

MadibaJ

Nextpvr needs a tuner card in a server, PC etc. The hdhomerun is a tuner box that connects to the PC/mediaplayer via lan.

Edited by MadibaJ

sub3

Nextpvr needs a tuner card in a server, PC etc. The hdhomerun is a tuner box that connects to the PC/mediaplayer via lan.

NextPVR needs to be on a PC or server somewhere, but it doesn't need a tuner card in that PC - it can just easily use a HDHomeRun across the network.

CBers

NextPVR needs to be on a PC or server somewhere, but it doesn't need a tuner card in that PC - it can just easily use a HDHomeRun across the network.

Interesting.

Is NextPvr better than Emby Live TV?

MadibaJ

Not necessarily. At the moment there a quite a few backends, Mediaportal, nextpvr, serverwmc etc that all offer support for tv cards to varying levels of success. Emby tv only offers hd homerun support which limits their users.

• Like 1

bassistgak

I'm not sure what the problem is? EPG Collector works in australia, and you can use NextPVR as the backend. Guess I'm missing something?

Hi Trevor, yes you can use Next PVR with the HD Homerun which provides an EPG, that is what I currently use, though I do find that Next PVR does tend to crash periodically.

What I really want is to be able to use the native TV app for Emby =  Emby TV instead of a third party app such as next pvr. In its current state Emby TV is not a viable option for anyone in Australia because the EPG provider Emby TV requires you to use is Schedules Direct. Schedules Direct do not seem to want to provide an EPG for Australia until they know they can get people on board, and since this is the only option, we have no EPG in Australia if we want to use Emby TV.

Currently hoping and praying that the EPG can be provided in another format for Emby TV so we in Australia can use the native app = Emby TV.

CBers

Not necessarily. At the moment there a quite a few backends, Mediaportal, nextpvr, serverwmc etc that all offer support for tv cards to varying levels of success. Emby tv only offers hd homerun support which limits their users.

Is it only the HDHomeRun Prime that works with NextPVR ??

Nikolaech

If developers want to increase the attractiveness Emby, they should add support for other sources EPG. The user chooses the desired option.

• Like 1

denz

Apart from few countries that schedules direct support we are not able to use built in pvr i rather have all in one then additional parts that may fail with updates etc. I wish somebody with programming skills can help luke implement it as it looks like chubby has given up on the xmltv import.

I wish @@Luke can say is it on the priority list or is it a huge project undertaking. We have been asking for xmltv import for over a year so I assume it is a huge project. I am not in hurry since wmc works perfectly.

sub3

Hi Trevor, yes you can use Next PVR with the HD Homerun which provides an EPG, that is what I currently use, though I do find that Next PVR does tend to crash periodically.

Where are you seeing this crash - in NextPVR or Emby? If it's NextPVR, head over to the NextPVR forums and post the details of the crash and logs and I'll look into it. Luke or sven will need to help you if it's on the Emby side of things.

Edited by sub3
  • Like 1

sub3

Is it only the HDHomeRun Prime that works with NextPVR ??

NextPVR supports all the HDHomeRun devices. In fact it supports nearly all digital tuners from all manufacturers.

Edited by sub3
  • Like 2

bassistgak

Where are you seeing this crash - in NextPVR or Emby? If it's NextPVR, head over to the NextPVR forums and post the details of the crash and logs and I'll look into it. Luke or sven will need to help you if it's on the Emby side of things.

Hi @sub3 

Thanks for the offer, I have reverted to Kodi for Emby for now and am using the HD homerun plugin with Kodi as my daily driver. I am not going with Emby Theatre until Emby TV can work in Australia with an EPG. 

NextPVR is great by the way (I have used it in Emby and Kodi), how does NextPVR get the guide information,is it using xml? I always found the guide on NextPVR to be very accurate.

FYI the issue I did have was that on occasion if the tv service was left running overnight in Emby or Kodi the TV service would freeze, I would remedy this by restarting the nextPVR service. It wasn't a deal breaker for me, I really just want to be able to use the native app Emby TV. Alternatively the HD homerun plugin in Kodi works great for now, (superfast) but they just need to improve their guide accuracy. (working on that with them). If HD Homerun cant get their accuracy up, i'll come back to NextPVR until Emby Tv works and then send you some logs.

jordy

I believe that, by default, NextPVR gets its EPG from the ota EIT data stream which is why it's accurate. It comes directly from the TV stations...

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

bassistgak

I believe that, by default, NextPVR gets its EPG from the ota EIT data stream which is why it's accurate. It comes directly from the TV stations...

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

cheers,

Which in my opinion is why we should be offered this EPG option with Emby TV. Whether the EIT data stream is going to be ended in the future (as has been stated in this forum) or not is irrelevant to me, it's there now and Emby TV should leverage it. I understand that the developers may not want to do this because it is ending but since we have not been provided with a viable option for EPG for Emby TV at this stage this would at least give us an EPG until we are provided with an EPG provider that does works with Emby TV for Australia. I implore the developers of Emby TV to provide this or another EPG option for Emby TV.

Sorry for my 2 cents, I am just really passionate about Emby. Emby Server is the greatest Media server on the market bar none, it Just works and works well, Emby Tv is close to being the same, but lacking an EPG for a country is a real oversight that tarnishes the Emby TV application.

• Like 1

MadibaJ

I'm pretty sure the OTA EIT stream is to remain it's the MHEG5 stream that's being phased out.

Edited by MadibaJ