Subtitles

justpig

im85288

I think you might need the opposite.. Anyway I don't know anything about NFS either.

@@im85288 - do SRT subs work for you?  You using NFS?

I do use NFS but never use subtitles, anyway looks like the problem was solved :)

olerocker

Hi guys,

I have openelec setup with the Emby plugin. When I am home everything works ok, subtitles and all.

When I use the same system remotely, even though I have "playback through http" enabled I get no subtitles shown (.srt)

The Emby version is 1.1.34 I think, and I do see that it comes over as a direct stream with no transcoding.

I can't seem to find the option of always display subtitles in the addons configuration panel, am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

xnappo

Correct - there is no way (that I know of) for SRT to work over HTTP streaming - Kodi need to be able to 'see' the .srt in a directory.

Angelblue05

I don't know how Emby handles external subtitles. If it's available in the subtitles list before transcode playback starts then there's a good chance it will work. Again, you'd think direct stream would work, however it's not the case so I'm unsure if transcoding will be the same. Only testing will tell. :)

External subs are a pain, because it's not integrated in Kodi in a way we can control.

olerocker

External subtitles work when you use the web browser remotely, can't they be handled the same way through the kodi addon?

xnappo

How do you specify which subs you want through the web interface?  Is it be playback item, or just anytime audio is in a language other than X and subtitle X is available, provide them?

xnappo

olerocker

When you click on an episode in the web browser a media info box shows up giving detailed information about the video.

It shows codecs, audio, path of the file, and subtitles.

When you press play, a small menu bar shows up and let's you choose audio track, bitrate, and subtitle track.

There is also an option in the player the web browser uses to choose your subtitle.

Angelblue05

@@xnappo , it is already in place. I added this like a month ago. As I said, it should be part of the list I already present before playback starts. It grabs every track reported by emby.

However I don't use external subs myself so that's why I said the user needs to test and validate the srt is available for transcoding in Kodi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

xnappo

So I don't understand what you mean. 

If you haven't tested this, how is it supposed to work?  Kodi is not going to come into play at all.   The only way this will work is if you detect external subs are available during a transcoding playback attempt, then present a list of available external subs, then append that sub choice to the transcode URL.  Are you saying you are doing that but no one has tried it?

Thanks,

xnappo

Angelblue05

@@xnappo Here's what I'm talking about - when transcoding you'll get the option to preselect the audio and subtitles track. If the srt is part of that list, then it should work... I've tested with internal subs, but I don't have external subs to validate this aspect. I simply assumed Emby reports the srt as a track and is able to burn it into the video if you select it:

55d7d4bd9f7cc_screenshot022.png

Yes, no one has really reported on the feature, because I'm guessing very few people actually transcode using Kodi but it is there. It's been working as far as I've tested (I just can't say for external subs since I don't have any). :)

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

olerocker

Hi guys,

That list doesn't show up for me. I am using 1.1.34 version of the addon.

When I press play it says opening stream and goes straight to play. Direct stream.

I am using the http option in the playback tab.

Edited by olerocker

Angelblue05

To transcode, lower your video quality bitrate in the settings.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

No, unfortunately.

Direct play = Kodi needs to see inside your directories to load the external subtitles. Only works if you use direct paths instead of plugin paths, so you'd need to enable the option in the add-on settings and reset your library.

Direct stream = Emby streams the file to Kodi without modifications. There is no way to make it append external subtitles to the file. @@Luke Is it something that would be possible?

Transcoding = Emby streams the file to Kodi with modifications. Therefore if it's possible, it will burn the external subtitles in the video and you'll see it in Kodi. I suppose we could add a transcoding option without having to degrade the bitrate.

Either way, you have two(three) options: use direct paths or transcode the content. Or merge your subs into your files. There is probably a software that will do this for you in bulk, but I'm no expert.

@@olerocker

Edit: Actually couldn't you just browse to the subtitles?

Edited by Angelblue05

olerocker

I can't browse to the subtitles because i connect remotely through a dynamic DNS account.

So no directory browsing.

How does the web client manage this? It works fine through dynamic addresses.

Edited by olerocker

xnappo

Please try lowing the bitrate setting and see if it works.

We could do something to force transcoding, but try it and make sure it works with srt when it does transcode please.