Subtitles

justpig

justpig

Hello

I have been using this addon for awhile now; I had subtitles working automatically via the Kodi settings. Since the update in 1.05 and 1.06 which gives the option to display subtitles automatically; subtitles are no longer displayed automatically. It is enabled in the addon but it does not work; if I set this via the options in Kodi it reverts to subtitles not enabled.

Angelblue05

If you want to display subs there the option in the add-on settings Playback tab: "Always enable subtitles" and it will force display the subtitle language you've set in your Emby user preferences. If your choice of language is not available, then no subs will be enabled. You should still be able to manually enable them with the Kodi option (on a case to case basis). However, do enable the option if you want subtitles to load automatically.

Let me know for your feedback, as I'm still looking to tweak this process.

Edit: If you have a subtitles that should load but doesn't let me know as well and post your log :)

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

@@justpig

What are your Emby user preferences for audio and subtitles?

See these are the audio and subtitles of the content you tried to play:

EMBY Player -> ['AC3 5.1'] ['eng']

Do you have your subtitles set to english in your Emby preferences?

5578125418a5a_audiosubs.jpg

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

Ok, can you do something for me.... It doesn't seem like your log was set to debug.

Enable Emby for Kodi debug (debug level), shut down Kodi. Restart Kodi, let your profile load and post that log. I just want to make sure your Emby user prefs (mentioned in the log as Audio Preference: / Subtitles preference:)  are properly set in Emby for Kodi, before digging further. Thanks :)

We have the same setup, yet if I enable my subtitles in the same scenario, it displays the english subtitles....

Angelblue05

@@justpig

I'm sorry but there's no audio/subs pref set for account name Cheryl. Please make sure you save the settings for Cheryl Emby user preferences, and restart Kodi. It should pick up correctly then. Thanks.

12:24:11 T:8752  NOTICE: EMBY UserClient -> logMsg : Audio preference: default
12:24:11 T:8752  NOTICE: EMBY UserClient -> logMsg : Subtitles preference: default

I will add a way to handle this scenario in the future.

Edited by Angelblue05

justpig

I have enabled the exact settings under playback, so I am not sure why it is not showing up.

• Like 1

justpig

Sorry; not sure why, but even though I am logged into Cheryl's account, preferences is still set to another account.

• Like 1

justpig

Ok. I found how to enable the subtitles preferences for Cheryl; it is still not working.

Is there a way to just use the preferences in Kodi itself because that was working perfectly for me.

Edited by justpig

Angelblue05

@@justpig

Ok so you went in your Emby dashboard > Users > Cheryl > Edit user preferences?

557827240211d_userprefs.jpg

Post your log again, as debug (same as before). Let's see what is set as preference. Thanks for your patience in testing this. :) It was in no way to become complicate. Just have a centralized setting so you didn't have to worry about changing audio track or subtitles in Kodi anymore.

But as I said, I will eventually add support for when it's not set.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

Ok, thanks @@justpig!

I've got all I need for now. I will work on this and come back to you with a version to test later today. I will also work in the default-unset prefs :)

• Like 1

Angelblue05

@@justpig

Install from zip this version (no need to uninstall first). Restart Kodi and try it out again, hopefully this it will work now. I also added support for when no audio preferences or subtitles are set in your Emby preferences. It will play as is, following Kodi custom settings.

Let me know if it doesn't work again, provide your log set to debug. *fingers crossed*

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 2

Angelblue05

Thank you for confirming @@justpig

The fix will officially be part of the next Emby for Kodi version. :) Keep testing, let me know the "success rate"(how correct the logic is) in a week or so if you can! Thank you again for your help.

mobamoba

I'm using 1.0.06 and I'm still having a subtitle problem. Subtitles worked perfectly up until a recent release and now they randomly turn off and default to being off despite the fact that my preferences have had them defaulted to being on for ages. I've read through this thread and done everything in it (made sure subtitles always on was checked in Emby, restarted Kodi) but it hasn't worked.

As a practical matter, is there a way to disable Emby's involvement with subtitles and just leave Kodi to handle it the way it was a few versions ago, e.g. a "let Kodi handle all my subtitles" settings that bypasses Emby in this regard? Thanks.

Angelblue05

In the next version, I've added support to not use emby settings, by leaving your emby audio and subs as default (none selected).

Can you give me an example of a file that didn't work correctly by capturing it in your log and posting your log? I'm still looking to tweak the process, but I need feedback. Thanks. :)

Edited by Angelblue05

mobamoba

Thanks! And sure. I was watching two episodes of Game of Thrones last night. On the first one, I couldn't figure out what was happening with the subtitles and why my preferences had been set to subtitles being off. Between the first and second episodes, I Googled, found this thread, and followed the instructions (though as I mentioned it still didn't work - subtitles were still off when starting the second episode of GoT despite the fact that they were set to on in Emby).

The kodi.old.log is for the first episode and the kodi.log is for after I restarted Kodi to watch the second episode.kodi.logkodi.old.log

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Thank you very much! I will improve upon it. :)

@@mobamoba

Can you try this version? Just install from zip, let me know if subs are now showing. Thanks! I have to go for a bit, but I'll be back later today to work some more on this, based on your feedback.

Edited by Angelblue05

I can confirm subtitles not working at all if server under linux. Same setup - nothing changed in Kodi - if server in linux (ubuntu 14.04) no subtitles, if server in Windows 8.1 subtitles OK. I think problem is on the server side, not client...

@EDIT: If srt file muxed in mkv then work under linux, only external subtitles won't.

Edited by cvika
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Yeah, I need to build the possibilities of subtitles type as they are named in Emby and as they are named in Kodi.... Unfortunately, my repertoire is a bit limited so this is why I need feedback. :)

In the Kodi log, it will display as they are in represented in Kodi (if you search for "onPlaybackStarted" it will display right after). I found out today that SRT are represented as '' (nothing)..... But what I did in the zip above is allow the enable subtitles (from Kodis custom setting) to work in the scenario where the logic fails to detect the subtitles properly.

I'll also have to implement the logic for external subtitles...because it's a property in Emby, but in Kodi it displays as "(External)".

mobamoba

Is the 1.0.06 version in the zip different than the one on the beta channel and will I need to remove it to continue to get auto-updates on the beta? Thanks.