Subtitles

justpig

Angelblue05

Ok, in the next version (1.0.08) I've disabled Emby audio-subs preferences. I'll put it back in the box until I can work on it some more. I have a good idea of the direction we need to go in, but I don't have the time currently to work on the solution.

xnappo

You could just leave it as an option off by default.  I think it should be an option even once working, but it is important for streaming for sure. 

Angelblue05

Yeah, I just wanted people to report back and give feedback, that's why I didn't put it as an option. But yes, when it will be re-implemented it will be fully optional. However for transcoding, it is still in place for now. 

mobamoba

I'm on 1.0.09 now this problem still exists; it doesn't matter how many times I tell Kodi to always enable subtitles and save it as default as when I play a video, they're disabled. This problem didn't exist until whatever beta version introduced the subtitle control. Just wanted to let you know it's still a problem. Thanks.

Angelblue05

I removed the code. I really don't see how it's possible :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mobamoba

Well something's happening. Basically, before the Emby update, I had subtitles always set to enabled in Kodi and it worked fine. I'd start a video and the subtitles would appear. Now, I have to enable them for every single video - setting subtitles as enabled no longer sticks. I tried again tonight. Played a video, no subtitles, went to the video menu, enabled them, hit use this setting for all videos and confirmed it, went to play another video, no subtitles, went into the video menu and subtitles enabled was unselected and had to manually select it again. So while the code may no longer be present in the plugin, is it possible that something in the code messed with defaults or saving defaults or something? Because defaults for subtitles aren't stcking.

This behavior didn't exist before. In the Emby plugin there's still a thing that asks if you want subtitles enabled for all videos and I haven't touched that (it's selected). Should I de-select that? Thanks.

Angelblue05

No the option is a dud and forgot to remove it - even if you enable it its not plugged into our code. Ill see if I can replicate this :/ sorry for this trouble.

Angelblue05

@@mobamoba

You are direct playing/streaming your content correct? I have just tried and it behaves correctly. The enable subtitles sticks between playbacks. I have no idea why it would not work for you, but it wouldn't show in logs.... At this point, I'd say to reset - resync your Kodi database. Hopefully it will resolve the situation.

mobamoba

Yes I'm direct playing. I've narrowed this down a bit though at this point I don't really know if the problem is Emby or Kodi. I wiped Emby beta from Kodi, restarted, added a video source and checked and yep my defaults (subtitles enabled) was there; I saved it just to be sure. I then readded the Emby beta and let it do its thing. Now subtitles are enabled by default on everything except MKVs. For MKVs, they're always set to disabled. I don't know if that helps anything but that's what I'm seeing. The MP4s have SRT files whereas the MKV has both video and subtitle in the same container so maybe that has something to do with it?

• 2 weeks later...
FlyGuy94

Yeah it really annoying not having subtitles. They work perfectly fine on the web cliënt. I am also using a linux server with kodi cliënt on rpi1.

• 1 month later...
Angelblue05

Subtitles should be fixed. I have no issue over here.

Are subtitles enabled for your videos? When playing content, in the video osd, open the audio section and make sure that Enable subtitles is checked.

Angelblue05

Ah yes.... What if you direct stream your content, is it then able to load your external subs with the help of Emby? The issue here is Kodi can't see your directories because we are using plugin redirect to be able to control the playback. So maybe direct streaming would solve this or you can use direct paths instead of plugin redirect (enable in sync options, then reset resync your library).

FlyGuy94

Well direct streaming didn't fix it neither did changing it to local paths. If I do that I can't find any files anymore. Can't you use the new server plugin to give the subs to kodi when I start playing something.

Angelblue05

If you switched to local path, it requires you to reset resync your library to update your paths to actual directories. You could also merge the subs with the file or use Kodi subs downloader.

Edited by Angelblue05

FlyGuy94

I did a reset twice it didn't change anything. Still saw the art but couldn't open the file. And sorry but I'm not integrating 3000 episodes with 6000 subs that is insane. It is fixable on your end right?

xnappo

It should be working with the direct paths option - I will take a look tonight.

Edited by xnappo

FlyGuy94

Yeah well maybe it does but I can't check because if I try it and rebuild the library afterwards. It populates it again but when I try to open a file it sais it can't find it and asks I I want to delete it.