MediaInfo doesn't appear to be working properly in Emby

cw-kid

cw-kid

New thread here in the Server forum pointing to this one.

Edited by cw-kid

Angelblue05

Edit: Answered below. Thanks Luke!

Edited by Angelblue05

It's seeing the embedded image as a video track. will be fixed for next release.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

After quickly reviewing my movies - I've noticed they do have the correct info so I was wrong. :)

cw-kid

@@Angelblue05 Yes I suspect this is all cosmetic with the incorrect media info flags being displayed and does not affect the actual way your Kodi add-on streams the files. My test Kodi PC on my LAN here is set to use local playback as I added the network username and password in the Kodi add-on settings and my brothers remote Kodi PC is using HTTP. Yet both show incorrect media flags. 

Getting back to our original conversation we will play these two .MOV files again tomorrow and report back to you on if they are Direct Stream or are being transcoded. 

@@Luke, that's good to hear! So once its been corrected in the server how do we update the media content to display the correct media info / media flags in Kodi?

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

After quickly reviewing my movies - I've noticed they do have the correct info so I was wrong. :)

Correct info as in what? The media info flags? Maybe I missed a post.

cw-kid

It might also be worth noting I turned off the Emby.xml / movie.xml file creation and set it to only create the .nfo files. 

I guess refreshing all the titles in the metadata manager would force Emby to recreate its nfo files? Thus correcting / replacing any that are now incorrect with the double <video> media info sections. 

Angelblue05

Look at this - I just replaced the version (it used to be 480p with a different audio) and the tags updated at the bottom to reflect the new information. So my guess is when the tags are correctly picked up in Emby server it should reflect instantly in Kodi because Emby for Kodi will force refresh this item due to it being modified since:

555292bee0070_mediainfo.png

Edited by Angelblue05

cw-kid

Let's hope so!

I think I am gonna have to keep the main Kodi HTPCs around the house on the MySQL for a while longer, until some of these issues are bedded down in Emby. 

But I am please I decided to give Emby a try it is certainly the way forward!  :D And I nearly installed Plex instead.. Keep up the great work guys!

• Like 1

cw-kid

Getting back on topic LOL to the original issue in this thread, I think I have figured out what was happening with the "Latest Movies" in the Emby web GUI and with the "New Movies" area of Kodi!

It appears the Emby server importer is currently unable to handle nfo files created by Kodi for DVD VIDEO_TS titles. Kodi creates an nfo file called VIDEO_TS.nfo inside the VIDEO_TS folder. 

This issue has been reported here and @@Luke said he would look in to supporting the Kodi VIDEO_TS.nfo files. 

Emby currently does not support or read these. As a result all my DVD VIDEO_TS titles when imported in to Emby got a new date added date and as such were all sent to the top of the "New Movies" list! 

I have had to manually edit each of these titles in the metadata manager and change the date added date back to the original date stated in the original VIDEO_TS.nfo file. 

I also found a bug in the metadata manager here.

Now in the Emby web GUI and in Kodi (after DB reset) my actual latest movies are listed correctly!

(I still have not tested adding brand new titles not currently in Kodi or Emby)

I now also have all my Movie and TV Shows content finally imported in to Emby!  :D (Music Library still to do).

Had big issues with the watched statuses even after editing the nfo files with Notepad++ to use the <watched> tag instead of the <playcount> tag which currently doesn't work properly with the Emby importer. I now just have to go through my main movies and double check the watched flags look to be correct. 

• Like 1

cw-kid

Hi @@Angelblue05

Sorry for the delay, but getting back to our previous conversation about the .MOV files and their codec / media info in this thread on page 5. 

I can confirm that the Emby Server was Direct Streaming these .MOV files but it seems any .MOV files my brother attempts to play remotely in his Kodi, do not play well and keep on pausing all the time. 

We also did some other fairly quick playback tests of various file formats and below are the results. We played each movie for 60 seconds or less. 

1. "21 Grams" - .M4V / AVC1 / Dolby Digital / 576p / Direct Stream (Played Fine)

2. "300" - .MKV / H.264 / DTS / 1080p / Direct Stream (Played but was stuttering)

3. "7500" - .AVI / XVID / Dolby Digital / 720p / Direct Stream (Played Fine)

4. "A Clockwork Orange" - .MP4 / AVC1 / AAC / 1080p / Direct Stream (Played Fine)

5. "Alien" - .MKV / H.264 / DTS / 1080p / Direct Stream (Played Fine)

6. "All is Lost" - .MP4 / AVC1 / AAC / 720p / Direct Stream (Played Fine)

7. "Arthur and the Invisibles" - .MOV / AVC1 / AAC / 480p / Direct Stream (Same as the other .MOV files, kept on pausing)

8. "Back to the Future" - DVD VIDEO_TS rip / MPEG2 / Dolby Digital / 480p / Transcoding (Played Fine)

9. "The Beach" - .AVI / XVID / Dolby Digital / 480p / Direct Stream (Played Fine)

10. "Birdman" - .MKV / H.264 / DTS / 1080p / Direct Stream (Played Fine)

11. "Blade Runner" - Blu-ray .ISO / Dolby Digital True HD / 1080p / Transcoding (Played but was maxing out the CPU on my HP MicroServer and was stuttering)

So pretty much everything seemed to play, out of 3x 1080p .MKV files only one (300) was stuttering, the other two were OK. We could play other Apple formats OK such as .M4V and .MP4 but any .MOV files don't seem to play properly. 

There some settings you can set in the Kodi advancedsettings.xm file to do with the video playback cache, I wonder if I need to look at maybe adding / tweaking these maybe on his laptop?

http://kodi.wiki/view/how-to:modify_the_video_cache

Thanks. 

Edited by cw-kid
  • Like 1

cw-kid

Out of interest what format is ffmpeg transcoding the DVD VIDEO_TS and Blu-ray ISO formats too ? 

Angelblue05

@@cw-kid

When transcoding it should be h264 video, aac or ac3 audio. Thanks for letting me know for the playback. I wonder why it was transcoding. What's the video quality bitrate you've set in the addon settings and what is the bitrate of the content transcoding (it should say in the media info section)? You can always try to tweak advancedsettings to see if it helps in any way. Emby for Kodi is compatible with native Kodi functions so it can most definitively affect the outcome. Let me know of your findings! :)

Edit: Also, is the content that was transcoding, direct playing if you play from your end?

Edited by Angelblue05

cw-kid

Hi

The problematic .MOV files all stated "Direct Streaming" when I looked in the dashboard.

Only a DVD VIDEO_TS rip and a Blu-ray ISO actually said "Transcoding"

I left his Kodi add-on settings as default, so its 100mbps. According to the mediainfo here the two SD .MOV files that weren't playing properly have the following bitrates:

Anastasia.mov

Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 1 593 Kbps
VIDEO:
Bit rate                                 : 1 460 Kbps
AUDIO:
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 126 Kbps

Aliens In the Attic.mov
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 1 645 Kbps
VIDEO:
Bit rate                                 : 1 514 Kbps
AUDIO:
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 124 Kbps

Thanks

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Are you able to try enabling Settings > Video > Playback > Adjust display rate to match video to see if it makes it better? 

cw-kid

Are you able to try enabling Settings > Video > Playback > Adjust display rate to match video to see if it makes it better? 

Will ask him to turn that setting on next time I speak to my brother. 

The other thing which I am not too familiar with in Kodi, is its his Windows 8.1 laptop, connected to his TV via HDMI. I think then both screens just show the same image. May or may not be related to some of these issues? But it was playing those other video formats fine however. 

All my Kodi PCs here at home are proper OpenElec HTPCs. 

Edited by cw-kid
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, as far as changing the Date Added setting, remember that the value in your nfo metadata is always first priority. So even if you change the setting, it will not affect titles that already have a value in your NFO. It will only affect future titles that are scanned in. 

Let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks !