Netflix / Prime Integration

mini__me

MBSki
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hi, the stub file is just a placeholder file but can't be played back as it's just a text file.

What this allows you to do is create media entries for discs you have offline or for media available on Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc.

Try putting "Netflix" in the title so you know it's a stub for media hosted on Netflix.

You can combine this will multi-versions so you can have both a local and online service offering.
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102-movie-naming

ie:
Top Gun (1986) - 720.mkv
Top Gun (1986) - 4K Netflix.stub

Ah, ok, so I can see the Netflix version in the version list which informs me to go manually open up the Netflix app to play the video right? I was using tags for this, but stubs would be MUCH better. 😁 

MBSki

@cayars I can't get this to work. What extension am I supposed to use for the streaming file? I assume you just use a text file and rename it right? 

I haven't done this in a while but try an extension of .stub.

Yes it's just a text file and can be empty.

MBSki
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

I haven't done this in a while but try an extension of .stub.

Yes it's just a text file and can be empty.

Yep, tried that and it isn't working. Strm does though. Maybe I'll just use strm. I can't get to the stream from an strm, but I can't from a stub either.  😁

MBSki
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

image.png.c8b2a168493764c405e68e1e62448821.png

image.png.910c4d7e4576250e15d181869ebbc5b2.png

Stub doesn't seem to work but "disc" does work.  Give that a try.

Got it, thanks!

• Like 1

MBSki

Since I started adding strm files, my Emby Server is sucking up all the RAM on my server. I'll send you the PM logs. I don't understand what's going on.

• 1 month later...
MBSki

@cayars I've been using .disc files and they seem to work, but I've run into a quirk with a few movies. See the example below. I've got a 720p mp4 for the movie and a .disc file for the reference to the movie on Disney+. But, the duration of the movie from the mp4 isn't showing up. I've only found this on a few movies so far. Any idea why it's not grabbing the movie duration from the mp4 file?

image.png.1cc810125108df0b2292a55135fe2313.png

MBSki

It appears the real file needs to be there before the stub file. If Emby scans the stub file first, it won't display any duration information for the movie. Is this a bug? It would be nice if Emby could correct the error if a new file is detected.

• Agree 1

Happy2Play

Emby displays the first item it imports so from a multi-version environment Emby will show info for that item.  Changing items is currently irrelevant.

You may be able to unjoin them and then rejoin them group them again but I haven't tried this.  But maybe the order of selection will help fix this.
Wanna give it a try and let us know if it helps or not?

MBSki
1 hour ago, cayars said:

You may be able to unjoin them and then rejoin them group them again but I haven't tried this.  But maybe the order of selection will help fix this.
Wanna give it a try and let us know if it helps or not?

I'll start a new thread since I'm getting a bit off topic with this issue.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks to this thread I see, that for my use case stubs will be almost perfect.

I want to have 1080p collection under emby, and stream 4k/HDR/Atmos movies from Apple TV (I can buy lot of movies for a price of additional 8TB+ HDD). When I'll buy something on Apple TV I can just add a stub to also know, that 4k ver exists.

What would be perfect is some kind of trigger which will open Apple TV on my Shield (or Google Movies) as external player and play this exact movie. Is Android TV/Android/iOS giving tools/API to play exact movie in this external App? If so it would be awesome to implement it for iTunes/Google purchased movies. This way I can buy movies on both platforms and have easy access through Emby even, that play counter, resume etc wont work. Just ability to open a movie in external app would be superb.

Maybe Emby client could trigger Siri/Google Assistant command like "play MOVIETITLE on Apple Tv"?

Edited by barat
  • Agree 1

pünktchen
21 minutes ago, barat said:

Is Android TV/Android/iOS giving tools/API to play exact movie in this external App? If so it would be awesome to implement it for iTunes/Google purchased movies.

Yes of course that's possible in Andoid, provided the desired app supports this. Unfortunately i don't see any Emby dev implementing this, because it would be OS and app specific. What would probably also work is the default stream provider url that you can use in any web browser. At least under Android, if you open those urls in a browser, it auto redirects to the installed streaming app. But again unfortunately i don't see any Emby dev supporting this.

Apple is even giving a link maker to iTunes content:

https://linkmaker.itunes.apple.com/en-us/language

I just created a link (picked country, and TV/Streaming, then Android TV) and generated a link. I then opened in even on Iphone and it just opened TV app with this exact movie! 

Now I just need to figure out how to make Emby to execute a link ... 

rbjtech
On 02/09/2021 at 18:42, mbarylski said:

Since I started adding strm files, my Emby Server is sucking up all the RAM on my server. I'll send you the PM logs. I don't understand what's going on.

Yes you can't create a strm file for a Item that is already in the same library - I think this is a bug as it runs away in memory.  You can create strm for unique items (ie new items) or items in a separate library.  For duplicate items in the same library, I have resorted to symbolic links (mklink in Windows) as that behaves itself just fine.

• 5 months later...
MBSki

Well, Plex finally did it: End the Streaming Struggle with Plex. Emby may still decide not to create something similar, but I really do think this is a useful feature. I've only tested the Plex feature in a browser, but the way it works is fairly close to what I'd be looking for. At the moment you can add a show or movie to your watchlist and it'll pop up the services where it is available. Click on the service you want to use, and it goes straight to that show or movie on the service that was clicked. Apparently personal content libraries can also be added, but I shut down my Plex server awhile ago so I haven't tested that. 

image.png.99cacd46e5cab4f9815e14b4384e34e0.png 

• Like 1

Yes, I've seen this too. They call it "Discover". It's pretty much exactly how you figure they would integrate this, of course getting a commissions on rentals or new signups.
They basically gave you "Just Watch" in a Plex app. :)

I still think this could be rather cool if done right in Emby so it blends in and becomes part of the experience vs putting rentals and/or ads on screen.  For example it should only use services the user personally selects or services selected by the admin that are free to use.

• Agree 1

rbjtech
28 minutes ago, cayars said:

Yes, I've seen this too. They call it "Discover". It's pretty much exactly how you figure they would integrate this, of course getting a commissions on rentals or new signups.

I still think this could be rather cool if done right in Emby so it blends in and becomes part of the experience vs putting rentals and/or ads on screen.  For example it should only use services the user personally selects or services selected by the admin that are free to use.

Google Home has some of this anyway and has had it for a while - I can say 'Black Widow' and it will bring up where it is available on whatever content providers I choose to add - including my local Emby instance - so there is certainly nothing groundbreaking with Plex's 'announcement'...

Tremas
27 minutes ago, cayars said:

Emby would need a proper watchlist first.

• Like 1

sydlexius

The biggest problem with Plex's new Universal Search is that they're pushing services that you may not even have a subscription to.  For the PPV/purchased content media, this might not be so terrible.  What is terrible is that Plex doesn't give you a way to disable results for services you don't currently subscribe to.  OTOH, deep linking to third-party content would be nice to have (aside from .STRM files).

Edited by sydlexius
pünktchen pointed out my ignorance on this subject!

rbjtech
5 minutes ago, sydlexius said:

What is terrible is that Plex doesn't give you a way to disable results for services you don't currently subscribe to.

There is no money to be made from selling your search data - so Plex would not be interested in that ... ;)

sydlexius
Just now, rbjtech said:

There is no money to be made from selling your search data - so Plex would not be interested in that ... ;)

The downsides of lifetime subscriptions!  Nobody promised you a lifetime free of ads, upselling, etc!

39 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Google Home has some of this anyway and has had it for a while - I can say 'Black Widow' and it will bring up where it is available on whatever content providers I choose to add - including my local Emby instance - so there is certainly nothing groundbreaking with Plex's 'announcement'...

Yeah, honestly, this just looks like another implementation of global search that already exists in most devices at their core (Google, Amazon, Apple) - of course, its good for the other guys because they are really trying to become a content aggregator instead of a personal media system and now they can push you towards their partners (just like Google, Apple, et al.)

So, from their business perspective, I completely understand but I'm not sure what it gives you, the user, over what you already have in Google Assistant etc. already.