Jump to content

Netflix / Prime Integration


mini__me

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, roaku said:

Please stop replying to me about this.

As I already said, this is a public forum. If you don't want people to respond, then leave the forum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I highly recommend TV Show & Movie Tracker for anyone looking to manage their Trakt viewing activity on Android.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO Plex is doing something great ... almost :) It proves, that one can start playing on external service just from other app.

What I would love to see is, that I can add a STUB file which will actually open AppleTV, Google etc and play the movie. This way I can store my DVDs/BluRays locally, but have 4K/HDR/DV versions as purchased copies on those services. I accept to manually create STUB files (just as i "make a safety copy" of my discs). I want to keep Emby as a place where my "purchased" movies reside. Just like "personal Movies Anywhere" (which is not available in my country).

For streaming aggregation maybe I'll start to use Plex - who knows, but for "my own media" I want to continue with Emby.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, barat said:

IMO Plex is doing something great ... almost :) It proves, that one can start playing on external service just from other app.

What I would love to see is, that I can add a STUB file which will actually open AppleTV, Google etc and play the movie. This way I can store my DVDs/BluRays locally, but have 4K/HDR/DV versions as purchased copies on those services. I accept to manually create STUB files (just as i "make a safety copy" of my discs). I want to keep Emby as a place where my "purchased" movies reside. Just like "personal Movies Anywhere" (which is not available in my country).

For streaming aggregation maybe I'll start to use Plex - who knows, but for "my own media" I want to continue with Emby.

Agree. Plex has acknowledged that not every platform supports deeplinking. Xbox and Roku are the 2 I know of and it seems that Plex is trying to get that changed. Whether they'll be successful or not remains to be seen. 

@ebr If deeplinking IS supported on some platforms, would it be possible to test what @baratmentioned above? Linking to the actual service app using a STUB file? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rbjtech
15 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

@ebr If deeplinking IS supported on some platforms, would it be possible to test what @baratmentioned above? Linking to the actual service app using a STUB file? 

Not gonna happen without an Authenticated API... with all the commission/commercial/data collection trimmings - nobody is gonna provide that for free. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Not gonna happen without an Authenticated API... with all the commission/commercial/data collection trimmings - nobody is gonna provide that for free. 

It could be achieved in other way like stub which activates Siri/Google assistant command (Play X on Y), or for example for Itunes you can create any link which - if clicked - will open a player with a movie: https://linkmaker.itunes.apple.com/en-us/language

For example this will play Dune on any device which has AppleTV installed :) https://tv.apple.com/movie/dune/umc.cmc.2l7qj9p33t3jww1roxi8cgiw5?itsct=tv_box_link&itscg=30200

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Not gonna happen without an Authenticated API... with all the commission/commercial/data collection trimmings - nobody is gonna provide that for free. 

Any idea if JustWatch requires payment for using their API? I wonder if that would be an option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FWIW, it sounds like Plex is having some problems with their new "discovery" feature implementation..

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Tremas said:

FWIW, it sounds like Plex is having some problems with their new "discovery" feature implementation..

 

Yes of course they are. I think that's pretty standard when they release a new feature. 😅

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

crusher11

Why do people still pretend Plex and Emby are the same type of product?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

sydlexius
1 minute ago, crusher11 said:

Why do people still pretend Plex and Emby are the same type of product?

Probably because their features and audience have more in common, and don't diverge in enough ways to get people to think they are categorically different.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ebr @Luke Is it possible for Emby to use the JustWatch API without a subscription fee?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BillOatman
12 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Why do people still pretend Plex and Emby are the same type of product?

I would ask what makes you think they are not the same type of product?

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BillOatman said:

I would ask what makes you think they are not the same type of product?

Plex is more similar than you might initially think to a Netflix/Hulu service than to Emby.  Let me share what I'd consider the fundamental difference between the two as clear as possible:

One is ultimately controlled by the admin of the system who makes every choice as to what content will or will not be available to his "clients" and their apps. Absolutely no content is made available in any form that he/she didn't intentionally setup or configure.

The other is controlled by Big Brother who allows you the option to add to their service your own content and make it available to other clients of theirs you know. You have some control over the content you provide to their service but ultimately your content may not be shown to others the same way you see it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

crusher11
12 hours ago, BillOatman said:

I would ask what makes you think they are not the same type of product?

Plex is a streaming service and ad delivery mechanism that happens to allow you to also store your media on it.

Emby is a home media server.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BillOatman
11 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Plex is a streaming service and ad delivery mechanism that happens to allow you to also store your media on it.

Emby is a home media server.

I see where you are coming from now, thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...