Tvheadend plugin for Emby - Beta 1

Tolotos

screwfaze

Well just set up a tvheadend server on the pi and access it with emby, kodi or whatever...

What Tuner are you planning to use?

I have 2 usb tuners August T210 and T205 but on the Pi so far only been able to get the T205 working properly due to drivers and not being an expert on linux. Can the pi really handle all this? So far I have mixed experience it is not very reliable on Emby Theatre Xbox1 sometimes is works and sometimes it does not but maybe its the client that is to blame.

Gerrit507

I have 2 usb tuners August T210 and T205 but on the Pi so far only been able to get the T205 working properly due to drivers and not being an expert on linux. Can the pi really handle all this? So far I have mixed experience it is not very reliable on Emby Theatre Xbox1 sometimes is works and sometimes it does not but maybe its the client that is to blame.

I had bad experiences with USB Tuners in general. They are not very reliable. This is why I switched to a PCIe Tuner from TBS, combined with a ITX Celeron board.

Edited by Gerrit507
  • Like 1

lawrencecurtis

Hi, apologies if this has been covered before. If it has I can’t find it.

I’m aware that Emby only imports channels with numbers. I use tvheadend as a Frontend for iptv, channels are added and removed and I’ve found no way to automatically number channels with tvh.

Would it be possible to enable this plugin to work without channel numbers? I use groups to control access.

I’m aware I can add the iptv directly however it contains streams I don’t with to display and I want my recordings in sync. Hope this is something you can help with

Many thanks

I use tvheadend as a Frontend for iptv,

Why not just use the native emby m3u tuner? 

lawrencecurtis

Why not just use the native emby m3u tuner?

As I mentioned. The m3u contains hundreds channels I don’t wish too have public. So I use tvheadend to restrict access via groups

I also use tvheadend for kodi and want my recordings synced up

Edited by lawrencecurtis

lawrencecurtis

As I mentioned. The m3u contains hundreds channels I don’t wish too have public. So I use tvheadend to restrict access via groups

I also use tvheadend for kodi and want my recordings synced up

I have since worked out a way to get TVheadend to automatically number the channels, so i no longer have an issue

• 3 weeks later...
vaise

I am testing unRaid and have emby and tvheadend dockers installed and running. Both latest stable.

Should I be able to see the TVHeadend recordings via the plugin ?  Been through this posts and it was an issue a while back but fixed suposedly.

I get the guide, the live TV - can watch live TV fine, can set recordings from the guide that do fire timers in TVHeadend.

I can see and view the recordings from the file system so they are there.

I just see nothing when I click on the TVheadend Recording button on the web.

Im doing a full scan currently so the emby log is full of that stuff - and I cant see any error in the logs when clicking on the TVHeadEnd recordings.

Thanks.

vaise

Further to my last post last night re no recordings showing up from TVHeadend (I did about 8 manual recs with tvheadend back end overnight), today I removed the plugin, and re added it - now I seem to have two shows recorded, with a group of 'other' froom the plugin, not sure how that happened, or where all the other ones that show up in the tvheadend back end are.

I have a solution however anyway - I configured the DVR section in Emby, pointed it to the recordings share on unraid, then I have removed the TVHeadEndRecordings in the profile for the user, now it all works well as expected - as I am getting the emby view of the recordings (with a few hours of testing).

I have a month of trial license on unraid to put it all through its paces before deciding to move to it.  So far so good.

Gerrit507

Further to my last post last night re no recordings showing up from TVHeadend (I did about 8 manual recs with tvheadend back end overnight), today I removed the plugin, and re added it - now I seem to have two shows recorded, with a group of 'other' froom the plugin, not sure how that happened, or where all the other ones that show up in the tvheadend back end are.

I have a solution however anyway - I configured the DVR section in Emby, pointed it to the recordings share on unraid, then I have removed the TVHeadEndRecordings in the profile for the user, now it all works well as expected - as I am getting the emby view of the recordings (with a few hours of testing).

I have a month of trial license on unraid to put it all through its paces before deciding to move to it.  So far so good.

Check your access entries in tvheadend. Make sure the tvheadend user used by the plugin has htsp access fot the video recorder. Your issue has nothing to do with docker or unraid... My tvheadend server is on a physically different machine and all features of the plugin are working fine.

vaise

access is setup correctly.

I have added the TVHeadendRecordings back to the end of the librraies to give more info.

After recording two more things via the guide yesterday (emby plugin guide, not backend guide), then also show up, but I have just 4 now, rather than the 10 or so showing on the backend.  

Once you click on TVHeadEndRecordings, you get a boz saying 'other', then you have to click on that - where is that other coming from ?

I have a suspicion that ONLY recordings added from the emby tvheadend plugin guide are showing in emby.  Anything recorded with the backend native tvheadned EPG does not show. I certainly dont see the emby guide updated when I start a recording on the backend.

and one more thing - should the emby plugin guide be able to set repeat recordings ?

Im comparing to nextPVR here - and as I want to see if I can move away from windows to a docker solution on unraid as a one stop shop - rather than my windows server and slow netgear readynas.

weekly, I trawl through the nextPVR guide - make sure it has set all the right stuff, add a few one-off;s, add new series if required etc - never missed a beat.  The back end TVHeadend interface is very yuk, and the front end plugin on emby does not seem to have series recordings - so fail/fail so far.

Edited by vaise

vaise

I can confirm this now - 

TV shows recorded by the emby plugin guide do show in the TVHeadendRecordings (with 'other' as a thing to click first for some reason)

TV Shows recorded by the back end tvheadend guide do NOT show in the TVHeadendRecordings.

You cant set series recordings from the guide.

can someone confirm this is normal operation, and where does this 'other' come from.

Thanks.

Gerrit507

I can confirm this now - 

TV shows recorded by the emby plugin guide do show in the TVHeadendRecordings (with 'other' as a thing to click first for some reason)

TV Shows recorded by the back end tvheadend guide do NOT show in the TVHeadendRecordings.

You cant set series recordings from the guide.

can someone confirm this is normal operation, and where does this 'other' come from.

Thanks.

"Others" is a category. When it's unclear if the content is a movie or a show it's getting moved there...

Just to make sure, that I understand you correctly:

If you set a recording in the tvheadend webinterface it doesn't appear in emby and the ones you set up in emby do?

If that's so, I can not confirm this. I get all my recordings. The issue has to be a misconfiguration of your tvheadend server... I still think it's a privilege issue, like you have two different users and they don't see the recordings of each other.

Edited by Gerrit507

vaise

Thanks @gerrot507 for your reply and continued assistance.

I had setup a dedicated user called emby-access (with Basic, HTSP rights in TVH) and used that in the plugin.  In TVH, general http server settings, made sure it was set to 'both plain and digest' as also read to do that.

I did the above as I read somewhere here that the plugin user/password would appear in the logs.

But I guess the backend TVH was logged in with admin, and the emby plugin was logged in as 'emby-connect so you may have been on to something.

So I logged in as emby-access to the backend, and you are correct, that login cannot see all the recordings in tvh backend.... Just 5 recordings - likely ones done with the guide via emby.

Whats more, I did a recording with the backend and it also shows in the emby plugin.  So all good from a recording perspective now.

Just a few questions then :

1 - is this the best config - a dedicated user for emby recordings.

2 - The others.  Any way to configure that so it is not there (they are all TV shows after all)

3 - The guide, is it normal for there to be no series record ?

Further to number 3, I have done lots of googling and it seems TVH was always a backend only, hence why no work was put into the backend guide - it is supposed to be fronted by kodi etc and they do the guide work.  As I dont have kodi, and I was used to using the nextPVR backend for the guide / recordings setup, what are my options now for monitoring and setting up recordings / series etc.

Thanks in advance.

vaise

so.... more on this plugin.  I have ceased to use the guide delivered by the plugin and have instead installed the windows 10 kodi app with just the kodi TV section, I added the tvheadend PVR and I can add/remove/manage the recordings (inc series) from there instead.  Seems the plugin guide options on tvheadend have not caught up to the other pvr backend as yet.  Also strange that in kodi, when I view the recordings, it makes no mention of this 'others' so that should also be something that can be sorted by the plugin maybe ?

Gerrit507

Thanks @gerrot507 for your reply and continued assistance.

I had setup a dedicated user called emby-access (with Basic, HTSP rights in TVH) and used that in the plugin.  In TVH, general http server settings, made sure it was set to 'both plain and digest' as also read to do that.

I did the above as I read somewhere here that the plugin user/password would appear in the logs.

But I guess the backend TVH was logged in with admin, and the emby plugin was logged in as 'emby-connect so you may have been on to something.

So I logged in as emby-access to the backend, and you are correct, that login cannot see all the recordings in tvh backend.... Just 5 recordings - likely ones done with the guide via emby.

Whats more, I did a recording with the backend and it also shows in the emby plugin.  So all good from a recording perspective now.

Just a few questions then :

1 - is this the best config - a dedicated user for emby recordings.

2 - The others.  Any way to configure that so it is not there (they are all TV shows after all)

3 - The guide, is it normal for there to be no series record ?

Further to number 3, I have done lots of googling and it seems TVH was always a backend only, hence why no work was put into the backend guide - it is supposed to be fronted by kodi etc and they do the guide work.  As I dont have kodi, and I was used to using the nextPVR backend for the guide / recordings setup, what are my options now for monitoring and setting up recordings / series etc.

Thanks in advance.

1 - It depends on your setup. I have one user across all devices.

2 - The "Others" category is generated by the plugin on basis of the information that the epg provides for this recordings. If the information is insufficient it gets sorted into "Others". If it would be flagged as movie for example you would see a folder called movie. As far as I know there no way to change that.

3 - As far as I know setting up series records in emby is not supported. I personally use the tvheadend webinterface or the android app tvhclient for that. You only set them up once in a while anyways, so I don't miss that feature. I basically use emby only for playback.

Edited by Gerrit507

vaise

Hi,

You can def record series in emby (with a nextPVR backend) - see this from my web guide - not that I use it however - as the nextPVR guide backend is so good - just that I need something now as no longer windows :

5b21bdd16ad3b_Capture.jpg

As to the app - I tried it on my iphone and I cant get it to connect to the tvheadend backend, im on the same network, no diff on kodi connecting to it I guess - maybe an iphone issue ?

What I love in nextPVR guide :

CTRL right - go to next day

Font changing

Increase number of lines in guide to 15

Increase view to 4 hours

As all my shows are recorded between 7PM and 11PM (never anything outside that), I can do the following then :

Start guide, move right until 7PM that day, then can see all TV shows between 7PM and 11PM, check all good, add any others whatever.

Press CTRL right arrow - repeat for the next day

and so on for 7 days.

I do this weekly and have never ever missed anything - something the wife is very happy about.

I have not found anything that comes close to that as yet.

vaise

Just wanted to post back here with an update.

I have the iphone app working now - handy for checking recordings are active, not quite the right interface for how I use the system currently on nextPVR but a great backup tool.

I have gotten a bit used to the tvheadend backend web guide now - the more I use it (and forget about a 'normal' horizontal guide format), the better it gets.

All recordings are good - its not missed any in testing so far.

Questions :

I set the auto recordings, and I see I have have a 'start after / start before - which is one way of stopping it also recording the repeats from the night before that we seem to air in the day in australia, or sometimes late at night - but why dont they have an 'around this time' instead for when you add a show to be recorded - that seems much easier ?  And I still have the kodi guide to quickly check all is as it should be.

I still cant figure out the iceTV xml grabber guide stuff - ice's instructions are for a full linux and not the docker version.

Until the iceTV guide is sorted, The TV shows here is aus are moved back and forward by minutes by the tv stations, will the autorecords update that accordingly ?

Thanks.

zapras

Fyi, I updated to the latest Emby for docker version and this plugin broke. I've given up and set it up using m3u and it works, but I'd prefer to use this because it syncs my schedules with Kodi via the TVHeadend scheduling system.

Edit: This fixes the plugin. Thanks @@Luke!

I can also confirm the channel logos do work :)

Edited by zapras

vaise

Howdy - how/where do the images come from for the TV shows recorded by TVH and delivered via the emby plugin ?

I have never seen any images to date and have it running in parallel while testing.

Gerrit507

Howdy - how/where do the images come from for the TV shows recorded by TVH and delivered via the emby plugin ?

I have never seen any images to date and have it running in parallel while testing.

As far as I know tvheadend doesn't store any image files attached to recordings/shows. Does this answer your question?

Just wanted to post back here with an update.

I have the iphone app working now - handy for checking recordings are active, not quite the right interface for how I use the system currently on nextPVR but a great backup tool.

I have gotten a bit used to the tvheadend backend web guide now - the more I use it (and forget about a 'normal' horizontal guide format), the better it gets.

All recordings are good - its not missed any in testing so far.

Questions :

I set the auto recordings, and I see I have have a 'start after / start before - which is one way of stopping it also recording the repeats from the night before that we seem to air in the day in australia, or sometimes late at night - but why dont they have an 'around this time' instead for when you add a show to be recorded - that seems much easier ?  And I still have the kodi guide to quickly check all is as it should be.

I still cant figure out the iceTV xml grabber guide stuff - ice's instructions are for a full linux and not the docker version.

Until the iceTV guide is sorted, The TV shows here is aus are moved back and forward by minutes by the tv stations, will the autorecords update that accordingly ?

Thanks.

Auto updates should always update according to the current schedule. Besides that I can't help you with xml guides, as I don't use them.

For your "around this time" question: their is an option "Maximum schedule limit" in auto-rec settings. I'd guess if you put that at 1 it would be sufficient to set a "start after" time.

The different support of features between nextpvr and tvh in emby is because tvh is only plugin and nextpvr is fully integrated into emby. This also means that the stuff we can do as devs is limited by the interface the plugin offers. An auto-rec option should be possible though...

Edited by Gerrit507

vaise

ok, ta.

I have he recording sorted.

So you tvheadend people dont need pretty pictures for your recordings?

Gerrit507

If I want to keep my recordings I move them to my emby library and then I have pictures :D

Btw, I looked into the code and it seems like the whole series recordings needs a complete rework. Some stuff has been removed completely other things are just not working any more.

Gerrit507

Yes "CreateSeriesTimerAsync" for example

How does emby determine if this feature is available by the plugin and enables it in the gui accordingly? I could try to implement this method then.

Edited by Gerrit507