Tvheadend plugin for Emby - Beta 1

Tolotos

I have put the tvheadend plugin back on to see if there are any enhancements over ages ago when I tried it last.

To recap, I was just usinf tvh to do the recordings, and an emby library over the recording foler - meant I get thumbnails over them etc.

So - plugiin back on - 

Still just black empty boxes with the title inside - no artwork / thumbnail scraping etc

It is right that you cannot 'seek' when playing back a recording (a finished recording) via the liveTV in emby which is using the tvh plugin ?

It says seek not allowed.

Recordings are done in TVH from old HDHR Duals in native ts format.

The reason i ask - my emby library over the same files can seek quite happily. 

planetwilson

I've received a hdhomerun today to care to RPi+tuner and it is certainly easier. However I had a quick Question and apologies as not correct thread but any live TV through emby is nowhere near as good quality as if I'd plugged the aerial straight into a tv. I'm talking about HD channels mainly. Anyone know why?

Gerrit507

I've received a hdhomerun today to care to RPi+tuner and it is certainly easier. However I had a quick Question and apologies as not correct thread but any live TV through emby is nowhere near as good quality as if I'd plugged the aerial straight into a tv. I'm talking about HD channels mainly. Anyone know why?

Kind of a long shot but probably because you don't get any deinterlacing when you direct-stream into your browser.

Right, we don't force transcoding just because of that, although an option is possible for the future. 

If you have an HDHR then I would use the native features for the best possible experience. Thanks.

Mine is the HDHR Dual - I have three of them

Iv not had good experience with my many hours of testing of this from ages back on native emby.

If you think it is better now, then I will give it another go.

I posted all my issues at the time and my reasons for moving back to nextPVR (not replaced with unraid, dockers and tvheadend).

Primarily, you do NOT have multiplex recordings like real PVR's do - i.e the ability to records multi signals from one provider using only one tuner.  Our channel 10 has three channels on it - I can use 1 tuner for recording all three.  ABC has 4, SBS has 6, Channel 9 have 3 - so just 4 tuners to record all the transmitted channels in Australia - with your solution I would need 16 tuners (not that you would ever do that).

Its needed in Aus as we have stuff starting early, running late etc.

Ignoring the above, I had artifact issues, not releasing tuners, not recording full stop.  We did have many back and forth conv's on this at the timer, but it just was not good enough - I sumarized all my findings at the time.

Once you implement multiplex recording, then I can come back.

We don't have multiplex but the other things have all improved.

OK - Thanks.  I will give it another go tomorrow.

We don't have multiplex but the other things have all improved.

I gave pure emby another shot.  Allocated one HDR from tvh to emby instead (disabled on tvh). added the tuner and restarted emby.  using the guide data from tvh locally still (not the plugin, plugin is disabled).

All my tests passed except one for one show -  The folder got created for it, the guide had the red circle, but the folder was empty.  The recording also did not show on the emby console - for log reference, this recording was 'The Dengineers' (also for reference, there were still the first two shows recording (using 1 tuner as padding for the first).  So a FAIL there for some reason.  I checked the log (attached) and this seems to be a filename too long issue ?  What was it trying to do that ? here is the snippit from the log : 

2019-01-30 13:24:02.603 Info App: Writing file to path: /mnt/user/Media/EmbyRecordings/The Dengineers/The Dengineers 2019_01_30_13_15_11 - 9-year-old Nya, shares a room with her 2-year-old brother. She really needs her own space to indulge her love of martial arts.  She wants a dojo cubby so she can practice and not worry about her brother getting in the way.ts

That is the end of the testing using one sacrificed HDHR - tomorrow, I will add another and see if it can traverse over four tuners - and if it can record the padding while using same tuner for the next show over multiple.

In summary - If you can figure out why it wanted to record the entire path there, including the metadata in the file name, and fix that, then so far we are onto a winner.

Update - I just remembered why this was a pain also - no channel management for HDHR Dual tuners.  They dont have a favourite option at the tuner level.  I have remembered the parantal control hack where you flag the channels you dont want with 'Channel_Exclude', then use the users parental controls to not show that.  I have used that, and uploaded my own images.  I guess i can live without the channel management until then.

embyserver-63684452647.txt

Edited by vaise

shiftybugger

Hi,

I've been chasing my tail on this for over a week now so it's time to break down and ask for help.

I have emby server (latest) installed in a docker container on Ubuntu 18.04. I have Emby Premier.

I have TVHeadend installed on the same server (although not in docker). I can access LiveTV from TVH in a browser, and in Kodi via plugin. I have full epg data in TVH via both eit and xmltv from shepherd.

I have installed the TVHeadend plugin on emby server and restarted. I have put in sane settings. But for the life of me I can't get LiveTV to show on any of my Emby frontends (several Android TVs and an Android powered TV box). I can see an entry for TVH recordings in my media row, but no livetv.

Does emby need to get its own epg or should it be sucking it from TVH via the plugin? I've tried feeding emby server an output.xmltv file but it doesn't seem to eat it.

Help?

Thanks.

Gerrit507

Hi,

I've been chasing my tail on this for over a week now so it's time to break down and ask for help.

I have emby server (latest) installed in a docker container on Ubuntu 18.04. I have Emby Premier.

I have TVHeadend installed on the same server (although not in docker). I can access LiveTV from TVH in a browser, and in Kodi via plugin. I have full epg data in TVH via both eit and xmltv from shepherd.

I have installed the TVHeadend plugin on emby server and restarted. I have put in sane settings. But for the life of me I can't get LiveTV to show on any of my Emby frontends (several Android TVs and an Android powered TV box). I can see an entry for TVH recordings in my media row, but no livetv.

Does emby need to get its own epg or should it be sucking it from TVH via the plugin? I've tried feeding emby server an output.xmltv file but it doesn't seem to eat it.

Help?

Thanks.

If you ran refresh guide already:

1) In Tvheadend:

Go to Configuration / General / Base

Change Authentication type to "Both plain and digest"

If you don't have the setting Authentication type then tick off "Use HTTP digest authentication".

2) Check the users access rights or use the default admin account of tvheadend for troubleshooting.

3) At last keep in mind that changing the tvheadend-plugin settings always requires restarting emby.

Gerrit507

@@Luke There is something I wanted to mention: At some point in the 4.0 beta, where db changes were made, the "refresh guide" time increased enormously. With 3.5.3.0 the process took about 5 min and now with 4.0.1.0 it takes about 30 min.

@@Luke There is something I wanted to mention: At some point in the 4.0 beta, where db changes were made, the "refresh guide" time increased enormously. With 3.5.3.0 the process took about 5 min and now with 4.0.1.0 it takes about 30 min.

Thanks for the info.

Hi there,

I have Emby 4.0.1.0 installed on Debian 9 Stretch, behind a Windows Server 2012R2 reverse proxy. Almost everything works well, exept one part of the tvheadend setup.

The external domainname/folder (https://www.mydomain.net/emby) is reversed proxied to my internal Emby instance.

When i open Emby on my internal network (http://servername:8096) (of via VPN), and login, click on the live-TV icon, the menu appears, all functions work, Guide, Channels everything gets loaded...

But when I open Emby on an external network, login and clik on the Live-TV icon, everything works, exept the Guide, this part won't load. The rest works just fine, including streaming of channels.

Reverse proxying works, only the guide won't work. I have the logs as file attached. I don't know what goes wrong.. Anybody a suggestion?

Kind regards, Roru69

internal-guide.txt

external-noguide.txt

Gerrit507

Hi there,

I have Emby 4.0.1.0 installed on Debian 9 Stretch, behind a Windows Server 2012R2 reverse proxy. Almost everything works well, exept one part of the tvheadend setup.

The external domainname/folder (https://www.mydomain.net/emby) is reversed proxied to my internal Emby instance.

When i open Emby on my internal network (http://servername:8096) (of via VPN), and login, click on the live-TV icon, the menu appears, all functions work, Guide, Channels everything gets loaded...

But when I open Emby on an external network, login and clik on the Live-TV icon, everything works, exept the Guide, this part won't load. The rest works just fine, including streaming of channels.

Reverse proxying works, only the guide won't work. I have the logs as file attached. I don't know what goes wrong.. Anybody a suggestion?

Kind regards, Roru69

Do you have something configured like "force https" in your reverse proxy? It could be that some content from the guide, like channel icons, is directly pulled from tvheadend and therefore http because tvheadend doesn't support https at all.

shiftybugger

Thanks for your responses. Apologies for taking so long to get back to everyone.

Hi, did you try refreshing the guide in emby?

Yes, but nothing happens. The job seems to sit on 0.0% forever.

If you ran refresh guide already:

1) In Tvheadend:

Go to Configuration / General / Base

Change Authentication type to "Both plain and digest"

If you don't have the setting Authentication type then tick off "Use HTTP digest authentication".

2) Check the users access rights or use the default admin account of tvheadend for troubleshooting.

3) At last keep in mind that changing the tvheadend-plugin settings always requires restarting emby.

1) I didn't have that setting so I ticked off "Use HTTP digest authentication". Still no go.

2) I checked all of the rights in tvh (Config -> Users -> Access Entries) and they all look good. Swapped to admin account just in case, still no go.

3) Yep, have restarted emby many times, still no go.

I can now see a 'LiveTV' entry in my media row in emby clients, but it is empty of epg data.

Any other ideas? Or is there any log files that I should check?

Edited by shiftybugger

Gerrit507

Be patient. An initial sync can take one hour easily. The progress will stay at 0% very long. It will start raising as soon as it has pulled all data from the tvheadend server, which is the main part of the job. Check your log and you should see the guide entries while they're pulled.

• 3 weeks later...
DeBaschdi

hi, again :

images no more working in tvh plugin for emby!

<ProgramInfo>
  Id:                    340805
  StartDate:             22.02.19 13:30:00 +00:00
  EndDate:               22.02.19 13:45:00 +00:00
  ChannelId:             1122783667
  Name:                  Micky und die flinken Flitzer
  Overview:              Um ein Rennen zu gewinnen, erhält Mickys Flitzer einen Superstärker, der ihn noch schneller macht - aber auch einige andere Überraschungen bereithält.

Categories: children's / youth programs, entertainment programs for 6 to 14, series
  EpisodeTitle:          
  OriginalAirDate:       
  OfficialRating:        
  HasImage:              True
  ImageUrl:              http://[::ffff:127.0.0.1]:9981/tvheadend/imagecache/8840
  IsMovie:               False
  IsKids:                True
  IsLive:                False
  IsNews:                False
  IsSports:              False
  Genres:
  --> Childrens
  --> Youth
  --> Entertainment (6 to 14 year-olds)

Image Url works in firefox after !PLAIN! login,

thats the first problem, why the plugin dont support digest authentication over the htsp protocoll ?

anyway, (also with enabled plain login in tvh) images dont apear in emby.

Please add :

- Add support for recent tvheadend 4.3 image URL changes (HTSP v34)

- Add Suport for Channel Picons/ movie images over htsp.

https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.hts/issues/390

Edited by DeBaschdi

• 4 weeks later...
DeBaschdi

still no reply,

someone working on this issue ?

channel icons are also not scraped.

Edited by DeBaschdi

Gerrit507

@@DeBaschdi

If you already know what isn't working why don't you just implement it?

First of all: Your complaint about plain login is completely unjustified. Digest authentication is useless if an unsecure hashfunction is used. Second, most of the users run tvheadend and emby in the same local network or even on the same server anyways. Third, digest authentication did work before the migration from .NET framework to core if recall correctly. Then I tried to get digest working again but there was just no compatible digest authentication in .net core at that time. I don't know if that has changed by now. Last but not least, tvheadend doesn't support https, so it's insecure as hell anyways...

Then the version you are using (4.3) is an UNSTABLE version. So you come here and demand that the plugin for emby is immediately changed after tvheadend releases a new nigthly? Use the latest stable version and the plugin will work without issues.

One last word about tvheadend: the documentation of the whole project is a nightmare and working with it as a dev is like going through hell. For example on the documentation page of htsp protocol the latest version is v23! Apparently they are on v34! That's just ridiculous.

Edited by Gerrit507

Gerrit507

I just double checked and the channel icons are working with the unstable version. I've tested this with version 4.3-1776~g717030b. This version is already using the new image paths and it returns a path "Imagecache/<channelid>" as described in github issue you linked, which does link to a valid and existing channel icon on my server.

The reason why it's working is because the plugin just takes the path that the server replies. In the tvh kodi addon they just hardcoded "path/<channelid>". Long story short: the tvh emby plugin will always be compatible because it's working with the full path replied by the server.

Which means something isn't working on your end...

DeBaschdi

This Plugin never worked "for me" how it should.

Tvheadend provides Channel and Movie Icons(Posters)

Emby was Scraping the Poster Images, and displayed it as Channel Icons.

And now, (maybe since 4.0) nothing is displayed.

I belive you its working in your Case.

Gerrit507

This Plugin never worked "for me" how it should.

Tvheadend provides Channel and Movie Icons(Posters)

Emby was Scraping the Poster Images, and displayed it as Channel Icons.

And now, (maybe since 4.0) nothing is displayed.

I belive you its working in your Case.

Ich verstehe deine Konfiguration nicht ganz. Hast Du picons in tvheadend konfiguriert? Bei mir ist unter "Configuration / General / Base / Channel icon / Picon Settings" ein Pfad konfiguriert indem die ganzen picons liegen. Die werden dann von tvhedend unter tv-server/imagecache/<channelid> bereitgestellt, z.B. tv-server/imagecache/1 wäre dann ARD bei mir.

Ich habe gerade auch nochmal meine ganzen channels raus geworfen und neu eingerichtet. Die icons laden wunderbar...

Edited by Gerrit507