Thoughts on Emby.

godbodian

Latchmor

<cake> <princess> <ninja> <turkey leg>

I hope that offends some tweener :P

i COULDN'T aGREE mORE. Ok we are getting really off topic now, we have made our point lol.  ;)

Edited by Latchmor

non-entity

This is actually very nice and I like how you made it work with different background colors. Just for the sake of evaluating as much as possible, I'd be interested to see if you have any other alternative ideas.

Yeah I could deffinitely throw together a few more. I won't be able to until later in the week though as I'm just about to head off for 4 days, will give me time to brainstorm I guess.

saitoh183

I actually love it. Quickly threw together this logo of what I immediately thought of having heard the new name.

550bcc3a784f2_logomock.jpg

reminds me too much of the Origin logo...lol...not a good thing ;)

Overseer

This is my persona favorite:

create_thumbCA1L9IJN.png

Nice, but the first thing that came to my mind was ROKU. Maybe it's the color.

non-entity

Oh god, I'm not going to be able to unsee that.

shaefurr

Yeah that was my first thought, mainly because the orange color, if it was another I wouldn't have made the connection.

and +1 for Origin being a pos :P Seriously, no download bandwidth limit you can set, still? really?

Edited by shaefurr

KarterJK

or this one:

create_thumbCAGBRLO1.png

I absolutely love this one...  5 thumbs up

When will the T-shirts and coffee mugs come out?

Edited by KarterJK

pir8radio

I think the "tagline" should be  "Like Gumby..... But not....."    

Seriously though i like @@non-entity 's design...550d731476502_homelargegumby.png

Edited by pir8radio

z0mbi

or this one:

create_thumbCAGBRLO1.png

Of all the ones shown, this one to me seems the most mature. Plus, the logo makes sense once you know what the app does.

I like the flame logo, too, as it seems extremely versatile and also memorable as the logo says 'ember' on its own, and the name is Emby. Less abstract connections for the brain to make between the two.

I think the thing some of you need to get past is the name or the logo telling the user what the program does. That just doesn't apply any more to modern logo design or naming conventions. I know, it seems counter-intuitive and I much prefer program names and logos that at least give you a general idea of what category they lie in, if not exactly what they do, at first glance... but that's just not how its done anymore. Things/tastes will change again at some point in the future, they always do, but this is where tastes are right now.

• Like 2

thefirstofthe300

Of all the ones shown, this one to me seems the most mature. Plus, the logo makes sense once you know what the app does.

I like the flame logo, too, as it seems extremely versatile and also memorable as the logo says 'ember' on its own, and the name is Emby. Less abstract connections for the brain to make between the two.

I think the thing some of you need to get past is the name or the logo telling the user what the program does. That just doesn't apply any more to modern logo design or naming conventions. I know, it seems counter-intuitive and I much prefer program names and logos that at least give you a general idea of what category they lie in, if not exactly what they do, at first glance... but that's just not how its done anymore. Things/tastes will change again at some point in the future, they always do, but this is where tastes are right now.

+1. Definitely agree here.

swhitmore

or this one:

create_thumbCAGBRLO1.png

Could you change this to make it look like a film strip breaking apart into a portal like that?

• Like 1

Vicpa

Hi,

What about this one for a logo ?  Theme Song included !!!

http://vh9.nethosting.com/~mbluford/play.php?id=79

:)

Seriously though, despite the smooth philly soul mix of the theme I like the one that chef posted. The link and above posts indicate that there are already emby's out there. Marketers out there I am sure your comments will be appreciated. rebranding always seems like such a challenge. Inevitable The "Prince" effect always seems to kick in "emby (The media platform formally known as MediaBrowser)" I guess not totally serious :lol:

jluce50

create_thumb.png

I think this one is my favorite so far. I like the simplicity. While I do like some of the "tv" logos, I don't think it's good to tie the name to specific technology.

dark_slayer

I like the play on emby/ember and incorporating fire

I'll also add as silly as it may sound, I refused to call XBMC by it's new name until I saw some of the new animated logos from the forum thread

ScornfulOrderlyAnura.gif

I know it's a silly difference, but I like it now

• Like 1

z0mbi

Wow, that Kodi logo animation is really great, quality-wise. It's too long, though, and there are too many ideas being attempted. Fade up, antic, color shift, rotation, transformation, and finally the name drop... just way too much going on. Plus the BG color shift is way too jarring on the eyes. The best logo animations are simple. They sell you one idea, and don't make you think too hard about what you're looking at.

Anyway, I'm always knee-jerk against 're-branding'. When XBMC announced the switch to Kodi, I thought it was really lame. But it only took about a week for me to get used to it, and now... honestly, I prefer it. XBMC seemed amateurish... like it was a mod for hacked Xbox's. Probably just because I've been using it since that's exactly what it was. I'm sure it won't take me very long to get used to Emby, especially since I'm totally new to using MediaBrowser3 as of about a month ago.

However,  one thing the XBMC guys really nailed which I'm not sure MB3 is pulling off quite as well is that they had the logo, the name, and all the changes ready to go pretty shortly after the announcement and they just dropped the bomb and BAM, everything was now Kodi. There was no slow, easy transition, with legacy naming convention conflicts. One day it was XBMC, the next it was Kodi, in every way, shape, and form. At least... that's how it was perceived from my perspective.

Edited by z0mbi
  • Like 1

I don't think it was quite that fast but they also have the luxury of basically being one thing.  We have a lot more moving parts so it will take us some time.

• Like 1

shaefurr

Can we combine these threads? I don't see much point in keeping track of 2 logo threads :P

techywarrior

The other thread is the official submission thread. This was just someone posting their thoughts on the name which then got sidetracked with people posting logos.

• Like 1

The other thread is the official submission thread. This was just someone posting their thoughts on the name which then got sidetracked with people posting logos.

Correct.  We do not want to combine these.

dark_slayer

However,  one thing the XBMC guys really nailed which I'm not sure MB3 is pulling off quite as well is that they had the logo, the name, and all the changes ready to go pretty shortly after the announcement and they just dropped the bomb and BAM, everything was now Kodi. There was no slow, easy transition, with legacy naming convention conflicts. One day it was XBMC, the next it was Kodi, in every way, shape, and form. At least... that's how it was perceived from my perspective.

It wasn't quite that fast

They changed the release name, the website downloads area names, the forum section titles, the website/forums, etc fairly quickly

There are still outliers like Github and their PPAs. If you install from source you used to run xbmc when finished, now it's kodi. There are several directories you have to check along the way as to whether the steps are still correct (from xbmc) or if you need to substitute kodi. Most of the PPA has been modified to Kodi with the exception of the PPA's name

So, TL;DR Kodi still hasn't fully moved through all the moving parts that was XBMC. However, I think there is something valid in your point that quickly changing the website, wiki, forums, and downloads made it feel like everything was done right away

Koleckai Silvestri

There are still outliers like Github and their PPAs. If you install from source you used to run xbmc when finished, now it's kodi. There are several directories you have to check along the way as to whether the steps are still correct (from xbmc) or if you need to substitute kodi. Most of the PPA has been modified to Kodi with the exception of the PPA's name

So, TL;DR Kodi still hasn't fully moved through all the moving parts that was XBMC. However, I think there is something valid in your point that quickly changing the website, wiki, forums, and downloads made it feel like everything was done right away

Most end users don't care about any of this. They only care about the visual branding. Same would go for Media Browser.

• Like 1

CBers

So is it EMBY or Emby?

I'm seeing both names in the web client and Android app and I think it should be one or the other.

On the Android connection screen, you see both at the same time.